Ortega Eclipse TE-8 tuning

faolchu

Reaction score
Hi! I am a proud owner of an Ortega Eclipse TE-8 ukulele. But the question haunts me, what is the correct tuning of this instrument. The manufacturer's website states Gg Cc EE AA. What octave notes does this mean?
When my ukulele arrived from the store, she had thicker strings in a pair over thinner ones, while in all the photos and videos I see that everything is exactly the opposite - according to the principle of a 12-string guitar. At the same time, it was not possible to tune it in accordance with the scheme, thick G and C cannot be pulled up to the same octave as E and A - they will burst. As a result, I got tuning G3 G4 C4 C5 E4 E4 A4 A4.
At first, I assumed that they might have made a mistake in manufacturing and mixed up the order of the strings, but recently I broke a string and took a spare set Ortega UNY-8-TE created specifically for this ukulele and found with some surprise that the order of the strings on the package is the same as it was on my uke - thick over thin in their pair.
Does anyone on the forum own one of these ukuleles? What tuning do you use? 🤔

Attachments

• 2022-06-09 16-59-02.jpg
    2022-06-09 16-59-02.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
I’d read Gg Cc EE AA as G3 G4 C4 C5 E4 E4 A4 A4. The lower-case g & c indicate a higher octave. This matches up with larger strings for lower notes. If you prefer high-low to low-high you can swap the string order (you may need to alter the nut).

Per @Brad Bordessa , your low-high tuning is a common alternative to the more common high-low tuning.

Thank you so much for the link. It was very interesting and informative.
Yesterday I received an answer to the same question from the manufacturer. They write that the correct tuning is "g4g5 c4c5 e4e4 a4a4". In an attempt to follow this tuning, I killed the native strings of this ukulele :) I can't even imagine how they propose to achieve this tuning.
At the moment, I will probably stay with the tuning identified experimentally (G3 G4 C4 C5 E4 E4 A4 A4), and then experiment with the order of the strings.

Top Bottom