Pineapple/Boat Paddle

Mike $

Reaction score
Getting ready to make a soprano boat paddle uke. I'm kind of going in blind since having never played one before and am wondering, from a building standpoint, are there any unexpected challenges with this shape? It seems pretty basic and like a normal soprano but with one less bend per side.. The uke will be mahogany with an ebony fretboard and bridge. I am assuming the bracing to be the same as my figure 8 uke - ladder bracing for the back and a brace on each side of the sound-hole with a bridge plate for the top. Kerfing connecting top and back to the sides. It will have a Spanish heel and the neck will also have a scarf joint. The sides will taper from 3 inches at the butt end to 2.75 inches at the heel.

Any warnings or advice? Thanks

Getting ready to make a soprano boat paddle uke. I'm kind of going in blind since having never played one before and am wondering, from a building standpoint, are there any unexpected challenges with this shape? It seems pretty basic and like a normal soprano but with one less bend per side.. The uke will be mahogany with an ebony fretboard and bridge. I am assuming the bracing to be the same as my figure 8 uke - ladder bracing for the back and a brace on each side of the sound-hole with a bridge plate for the top. Kerfing connecting top and back to the sides. It will have a Spanish heel and the neck will also have a scarf joint. The sides will taper from 3 inches at the butt end to 2.75 inches at the heel.

Any warnings or advice? Thanks
Not really advice; but check out the "Paddlelele" from Joel Eckhaus. He says the neck and sides are one piece of ash, with the top and back glued on.

It seems to me that the depth of the sides are more appropriate for a tenor, rather than a soprano. Most boat paddle or pineapple designs already increase the interior volume, this may be somewhat extreme.
Brad

Hey Mike, those numbers would be very much in line with modern soprano dimensions.
Brad

Top Bottom