Side Fret Markers; a Newfangled Invention?

I drilled a slight indentation in one of my old classical guitars and glued fake diamonds in there at the relevant frets. Look great when the light catches them, will do my ukes when I get time.

I had a vintage 1920's Weissenborn soprano ukulele which had fret markers on the fifth and seventh frets. They were not round dots, but inlaid lines that extended into the side of the fret board. They were easily visible from the top or side. Newfangled? I don't think so.

I used it as a trade with MGM who posted a brief sound sample on his YouTube channel.

You can also see an example on Tony Francis Instruments site. http://tonyfrancisinstruments.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/weissenborn-ukulele-repair-pt-4.html
Scroll to bottom of page for close-up of markers.

Last edited:
My 1940s Martin soprano has side dots. And 17 frets, yeehaw!

My 1942 Martin Style 0 does not have side fret markers. Since I'm one of those people who sometimes gets lost higher than the fifth fret, I miss 'em when they aren't there.

I like them and miss them when they aren't there. Favilla baritones have them on 3,5,7,9,12,and 15. a little overkill but better than not there.

Top Bottom