Single strings for Baritone

Dohle

Reaction score
I fairly recently got a new baritone uke that came with a custom set of strings including Thomastik-Infeld flat wounds for the bass strings. I'd like to keep those wound strings which means that the easiest way to replace the treble strings would be to get single strings. I really like the D'addario baritone string sets but I was able to find single strings equivalent only to the black nylon set. D'addario doesn't seem to offer single strings with similar gauges to the clear nylon and titanium sets. I don't really want to buy the sets and throw away the wound strings. That's just a waste of money and not ecological. So, any suggestions how to find clear nylon or similar baritone string singles? Should I just try gauges that are as close as possible to the strings in the baritone string sets? Maybe try some single strings with different tensions? Any suggestions for single baritone strings from other brands?

You can get many different single strings from Strings by Mail. I do this all the time with their choices from DAddario, Pyramid and Savarez. I either match up the existing diameter of a string I like or sometimes go up or down if seeking a different tone.

I second the suggestion of strings by mail. I contacted them by phone and found their input on baritone strings very helpful. I end up with two single strings from savarez that work nicely.

You can get many different single strings from Strings by Mail. I do this all the time with their choices from DAddario, Pyramid and Savarez. I either match up the existing diameter of a string I like or sometimes go up or down if seeking a different tone.
I second the suggestion of strings by mail. I contacted them by phone and found their input on baritone strings very helpful. I end up with two single strings from savarez that work nicely.
I've ordered from Strings by Mail before. Brilliant selection and service but since I don't live in the States it's a bit finicky to order from them due to import costs, VAT, etc. I tend to use an EU-based string shop that has an excellent selection as well. The issue is that I couldn't find the exact single strings which are found in the D'Addario baritone string sets, at least judging by the gauges I couldn't. I'll probably try some single strings that are as close as possible to those in the string sets and maybe a few higher tension strings as well but I've no idea regarding other brands. My Cocobolo baritone actually came with Savarez high-tension fluorocarbon strings for the trebles. Excellent strings but a bit too thin and bright for my tastes.

Those wound strings will probably wear out faster than you think!
Obviously. I plan to replace the wound strings with the same Thomastik-Infeld flatwound strings my baritone came with.

Top Bottom