Soprano bark in a concert uke

The Flea/Fluke doesn't really appeal to me but if I get the chance I'll try one.
Kanilea wasn't on the radar because of cost but I should look into the Islannder ukes - I didn't know they had a wider neck. that could be good.

I also like a barking uke! I've pretty much given up on trying to find a concert with the bark of a soprano, but some concerts still have a bit of that in them, even if not the same as a soprano. I'm actually in Hawaii right now and have had the chance to play quite a selection of ukes at a few different places. While the Kanilea sopranos are very nice and do sound good, they are not particularly barky. For my taste, they have a string spacing that is too wide as well, but that's probably just that I'm not used to playing ukes like that.

Two concerts that stood out amongst the rest, and unfortunately were quite expensive both of them, was a Takumi Koa concert and a Seilen Koa concert. They didn't bark like a good soprano, but they were both incredibly nice sounding anyways and still felt lively.

If you decide against a concert or concert scale soprano, I can strongly recommend the Kiwaya KS-5 uke in Koa laminate. Very loud and barking! The Ukulele Site had one that was setup very nice with UPT tuners and Fremont strings. Wonderful uke. It was one of the better sounding ukes in the shop, even compared to much more expensive ukes.

Cheers,
Max

OK, looks like I will have to look closely at the long neck Koaloha. Time to sell a kidney ... or an Anuenue 1879!

Am I missing something on these conversations? Doesn't changing where one strums/plucks the strings between the joining point between the neck and the body down to the bridge have an effect on the quality of sound of an instrument? I don't believe I am the only one who does not know what "bark" means, so it isn't common (held by all) knowledge. Please explain what it is you want.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but if I was looking for a "barky" concert, I would be looking for a solid or at least solid top concert. When I hear that "bark" from an old Martin Soprano, I hear it replicated most often in mahogany solid top ukes. Good luck. CraftedCow, watch an old Roy Smeck video and you will here what we mean by "bark". When the old mahog martins as well as others are strummed, they kind of bark out.

Am I missing something on these conversations? Doesn't changing where one strums/plucks the strings between the joining point between the neck and the body down to the bridge have an effect on the quality of sound of an instrument? I don't believe I am the only one who does not know what "bark" means, so it isn't common (held by all) knowledge. Please explain what it is you want.

Of course strumming position affects the sound. It took me a while to realize just how much though. I've noticed this more so on my Anuenue than other ukes. It also responds differently to how I play, not just where. As for what "bark" means ... well, talking about music is like dancing about architecture, so to explain what it is I want, I would just have to use other words.

If you decide against a concert or concert scale soprano, I can strongly recommend the Kiwaya KS-5 uke in Koa laminate. Very loud and barking!

I imported one of these from Japan (where they are called Famous KS-5) and it arrived just a couple days ago. I went with the G model (FS-5G) for the geared tuners, which is a bit of a compromise for me as they are lighter than planetary tuners, but heavier than friction tuners (I prefer sopranos to have a very light headstock, if possible).

Like Max said, the FS-5(G) is really loud, but it's a different kind of loud than my 1920s Lyon&Healy soprano (also loud, but in that 1920s way). The Famous/Kiwaya rings more clearly (or cleanly) with exceptional note separation. Just the right amount of sustain for me, too, not too little, but also not too much. It's as loud as many tenors, and louder than some. It does not at all sound like laminate. I was skeptical of laminate before, as those instruments tend to sound muted and boxy. This one does not, and to my ears it sounds better than most new solid wood sopranos under $1000 that I have heard. It plays well up the neck and doesn't get as quickly as thuddy as many sopranos when you go up. The saddle is heavily compensated, something I had never seen before in person (looks like a mountain range).

They do make a concert version of this, the FC-5. I considered it (still doing so), but I'm so impressed with the FS-5 that right now my need for an instrument that combines playability (the FS-5 has a wider nut, so wider spring spacing, and a nice, fast neck that is neither too thin nor too thick), volume, and bark is satisfied. I am really glad that it sounds so good, because I'm more comfortable with the low-maintenance requirements in terms of humidity and temperature of a laminated instrument. Peace of mind and all of that.

I also had a KoAloha longneck soprano (pineapple), which I sold a few weeks ago. It was a fine instrument also. I'd say a little quieter than the FS-5, but also far louder than the average ukulele (of any size) and it played well. It had the distinct KoAloha sound, which I sometimes experienced as a bit too "brash". Not in a bad way, really. It's really that specific KoAloha sound. The KS-5 has a different voice. I'd say it sings more, more crystalline heights (peaks) whereas the KoAloha had stronger, fuller, and as a result "duller" (wrong word, but not as needle-like heights as the FS-5 has). Both are fantastic instruments, it just depends on the sound you want. The KoAloha is much more Hawaiian sounding. Chime-y, that is what the FS-5 is!

I think the only thing that will bark like a soprano is a soprano. Like asking a soprano to sound like a sopranissimo it's not going to happen.

My Pohaku concert 10 has that soprano bite but in a concert size.

This is how it's described by builder Peter Hurney:
"This is my most recent addition I designed in 2010 (hence concert 10). I wanted a concert that was more soprano like with a strong attack and little sustain. This instrument has a lot of bite. If you like that good soprano sound but want to play a little larger instrument then this choice could be the ukulele for you"

Top Bottom