String suggestions for Islander super tenor

roxhum

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve never been on UU I like forever. but I need some input. I just got the islander super tenor in the mail and I flat out don’t like it. It sounds dull, or flat. It doesn’t sing. I’ve never liked a uke less. It has Aquila strings, of which I’ve never personally been a fan of. So maybe I will return it but then I pay shipping both ways, but better than a uke and don’t like. So… anyone familiar with this uke with any suggestions to spice it up? String suggestion?
thank you in advance.
Rox

I can‘t help much, but I’m interested to know how this turns out. I always order a new set of strings to replace the stock Aqila’s on a new uke. If it were me I’d put on a set of worth browns along with a Fremont soloist, then tune it down a full step to let that big body ring.

Interesting. I think tuning it down a full step is a good idea. I think I want it to sound more like a baritone and that might be part of my disappointment. I heard Aquila Reds suggested In other post. I am unfamiliar with those strings.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with an Ohana BKT-70g which is a tenor-neck/ baritone body. After several months of string changing, here is what I wrote to myself:

"Gave up. It just sounds thin and uninteresting. Very pretty, but a total wimp.
So much for a large resonant body for low G. I tried many different strings and none would wake it up."

It was past the return date I so ended up selling it back to GC.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with an Ohana BKT-70g which is a tenor-neck/ baritone body. After several months of string changing, here is what I wrote to myself:

"Gave up. It just sounds thin and uninteresting. Very pretty, but a total wimp.
So much for a large resonant body for low G. I tried many different strings and none would wake it up."

It was past the return date I so ended up selling it back to GC.
Wow, thanks for that. I think I will just return it. I have sopranos that I love and a cheap Kala baritone that I love. I think this purchase was a mistake. I don’t want or need a louder sound, I wanted a baritone sound with a smaller fret board, meanwhile my short stiff fingers are adjusting to the stretch needed for the baritone chords.
again, thanks.

yeah, I totally endorse returning it. I don't think it is the sound you're chasing and I think you're objecting to the nature of the instrument. So the instrument's not bad, you're not bad; it just isn't a good match. I am a super tenor player and if a uke "sang" as you put it in your initial post, I would be most unhappy. Therefore it is just an instance of you not being into what the instrument is doing.

I didn't love the sound of my Kanile'a tenor - until I changed the strings. Worth Clear, Uke Logic and Living Water (all with Fremont soloist low g) changed my mind. I'm in love with it. It's my only ukulele.

If you don't love the instrument, returning is probably best. I just wanted to mention my experience.

That must be an oldie. I think Kanile'a switched to worth more than a year ago. I don't really get the super tenor concept. Do they only have big body or also longer scale? May need to tune down to utilize the size with lower tones.

Hi, I’ve never been on UU I like forever. but I need some input. I just got the islander super tenor in the mail and I flat out don’t like it. It sounds dull, or flat. It doesn’t sing. I’ve never liked a uke less. It has Aquila strings, of which I’ve never personally been a fan of. So maybe I will return it but then I pay shipping both ways, but better than a uke and don’t like. So… anyone familiar with this uke with any suggestions to spice it up? String suggestion?
thank you in advance.
Rox
Hi

i bought one- tried several sets of strings, but then returned it. Mine too sounded dead.

The Islander is made by Kanile'a so it's not garbage. Super tenors can be fussy about strings, I own one. Good news is if you want a baritone sound put some baritone strings on it and tune it to DGBE. At a 19" scale length it is the same as the original Kamaka baritone.

All that being said if you are completely disillusioned with the instrument and can return it do so. It will be a specialty instrument that you may not play much............or maybe you will.

The Islander is made by Kanile'a so it's not garbage. Super tenors can be fussy about strings, I own one. Good news is if you want a baritone sound put some baritone strings on it and tune it to DGBE. At a 19" scale length it is the same as the original Kamaka baritone.

All that being said if you are completely disillusioned with the instrument and can return it do so. It will be a specialty instrument that you may not play much............or maybe you will.
Thank you. Turns out the cost to return it is great enough that it’s not worth it to me to return. I bought some strings today with a low G so will try them. I will make it work.

I think the scale length of the Islander Super Tenor is 17". The material I have read says it is called a Super Tenor because it has a larger body, rather than a longer neck. If this is correct, make sure you get string sets that are for a 17" scale length. Particularly if you are going to use DGBE tuning.

Without removing strings you can get an indication of how higher and lower tension strings may sound. To test for the sound of a lower tension string tune the instrument 2 steps down to F Bb D G and see how it sounds, does it resonate and sound rich? To test for higher tension you need to be careful not to have too much tension, wind the tuning just 1/2 step to G# C# F A#. Try not to leave it tuned to the higher tuning for more than you need to do the test. See how it sounds to your ears. Use the results of these test to help work out what strings to buy next.

Bill 1 thanks for the clarification you are correct this super tenors 17". I deleted my previous post because everything I said was relative to the usual 19" scale length of a "super tenor"

Bill 1 thanks for the clarification you are correct this super tenors 17". I deleted my previous post because everything I said was relative to the usual 19" scale length of a "super tenor"
Ooh, I like this suggestion. I already tuned it down one step and like it better. I bought new strings but the frugal part of me wants to use the strings it came with for awhile. I am appreciating it more Now that I am getting used to it not meeting what me original expectation was.
by the way Mike at UkeRepublic, where I got it ,was awesome, helpful and easy to get a hold of and talk to. I highly recommend him.

In response to a question regarding strings for this instrument, Southern Ukulele Store recommended: "Tight clear Fluorocarbon strings like Romero US1 or Uke Logic h-hg-c would be good choices."

Yes, it’s a laminate
I (very recently) had an Islander standard tenor, solid spruce top w/ laminate back and sides. I found it to be VERY string dependent. The wrong set (basically almost anything nylon) and it sounded dead. But Pepe's sounded good (probably the best I had on it), as did Uke Logics, as well as D'Addario titaniums. All low G. I suspect the Fremont Blacklines would sound very good as well.

I loved these strings on my large bodied tenor:

Pepe Romero Strings UBB Baby Baritone Ukulele Set​

Top Bottom