strings for vintage ukes

garyg

Reaction score
With some formerly loose change in my pockets and lots of good deals around I find myself with three vintage ukes and some puzzling feelings about strings. Two were owned by an experienced player and sound good, the third is strung with low G and I don't really like that so I'll restring. I'm curious about other folks experience with good strings for these specific soprano vintage ukes - Gibson Uke 1 most likely a 50's instrument, Gretsch most likely 40's, and Martin 1M late 40's, early 50's. I'm a fairly new player so I play mostly traditional songs and rock covers and I'm learning the blues. TIA, g2

I have some nylguts on my Martin pre-war soprano. Put them on back when I didnt know much about strings. turns out lots of folks have found they sound better than many strings on these old babies. Mine are loud and sweet....not brash at all. Who'd a thunk it?

Try the Martin 600 fluorocarbon strings, they sound and feel sooooo nice to me on ye olde Martins. Plus they are readily available and not expensive.

Dude. 100% real gut strings, I just got some for my 30's RoySmeck, it's now my favorite Uke. I live in Lower alabama so I was worried about their fickleness in the humidity, so far no trouble. It sounds like a little Hawaiian lady is singing to me when I play.

Try the Martin 600 fluorocarbon strings, they sound and feel sooooo nice to me on ye olde Martins. Plus they are readily available and not expensive.

Second that - got 'em on a vintage 20's Martin, a '70's Kamaka & going to put a pair on a '50's Roys Smeck later this afternoon. They just sound great.

I have Martin M600s on my two vintage Martins (ca 1930 Style 2 and ca 1950 Style 1). I really like them. I had Aquilas on the Style 2 at first, but I think the Martin strings bring out more of the subtleties in the tone. I've also used Worth CMs on the Style 1 and on my Kiwaya KTS-7, which is pretty close to a NEW old Martin. I like them really well also.

Worth Brown Medium (BM) or Orca OS-Med are my choice.

Less tension on the older instrument and they have that great old-time ukulele sound.

Top Bottom