Surprised the Food forum isn't more active

Does anyone ever have the opportunity to use fresh shiso on their sushi? We sometimes succeed at growing it. It also makes an excellent tea - we dried some and we use it for a parallel to mint tea, but it has a different flavour, but a similar functionality.

Yup. Shiso leaves are the critical ingredient. I like them because they make the eater's face contort in all kinds of funny ways. Good entertainment!

Yup. Shiso leaves are the critical ingredient. I like them because they make the eater's face contort in all kinds of funny ways. Good entertainment!
Hah yes they do! I remember the first time I tried them and I would definitely have entertained you. I've tried them numerous times to attempt to get beyond that and I haven't.

Wasabi is kinda fun in the same way. I once saw some food packaging for some wasabi flavoured noodles from Japan. The package featured a very funny drawing of a tough samurai eating lunch in his armor with his helmet set to one side as he ate. His head was raised sideways at an odd angle and his eyes were squinting as his free hand hovered near his nose in an attempt to control his reaction to the wasabi that must have been charging through his sinuses like a freight train. Highly entertaining!

Wasabi is kinda fun in the same way. I once saw some food packaging for some wasabi flavoured noodles from Japan. The package featured a very funny drawing of a tough samurai eating lunch in his armor with his helmet set to one side as he ate. His head was raised sideways at an odd angle and his eyes were squinting as his free hand hovered near his nose in an attempt to control his reaction to the wasabi that must have been charging through his sinuses like a freight train. Highly entertaining!
One of my iaido dojo guys was a bit of a blow hard and he claimed he was immune to wasabi. Our sensei got tired of this and offered him a dish of REAL wasabi, not the green coloured horseradish that is common in sushi places in Canada. He just about died. He never mentioned wasabi again.

Another spicy food braggart that I overheard was at a Thai restaurant, when I was about 7 or 8. The waiter warned him that these teeny tiny peppers were actually quite hot. The guy blew him off, stating he was from (somewhere in the States, I don't recall where now, but I assume somewhere where they eat hot chilies). It did not end well. I caught sight of the waiter being a little smug though.

Like @Mike $, I am a vegetarian. It kind of seems silly to me to walk into a restaurant and pay $$$ for carrot sticks, seaweed, and rice. :p But my youngest daughter, Sahar, likes to make sushi with me. We go for big platters of the stuff, both with fish and veggie style and do a feed for the whole family. I asked her to send me some of her food photos to share with you all.
I am a big fan of making my own sushi, for my friends I will make some with whatever fish they bring and cook or don't cook. For me and my girlfriend I make some cucumber rolls, vegetable rolls (carrot, avocado, cucumber, and kampyo). and salad rolls (lettuce, cucumber, carrots, avocado, and tomato with ginger dressing). I haven't done it in quite a few years, and from what I've heard the price of restaurant dining has gone through the roof. I really enjoy cooking my own food, and I find mine is usually much better than restaurant food, but there are exceptions, of course.
p.s. I love the name Sahar, it is quite a beautiful name. I haven't heard it before now.

One of my iaido dojo guys was a bit of a blow hard and he claimed he was immune to wasabi. Our sensei got tired of this and offered him a dish of REAL wasabi, not the green coloured horseradish that is common in sushi places in Canada. He just about died. He never mentioned wasabi again.
I had a girlfriend from Bulgaria, and one of her friends just move to the US, so I made some sushi. First thing he does is takes the rather large ball of wasabi I made for the three of us to share and plops it in his mouth. Me an my girlfriend watched aghast as steam shot out of his ears and the sound of an old steam engine blowing its horn flashed through my mind. He ran to the water tap but didn't recover for 15 or 20 minutes. Poor guy.

Last edited:
p.s. I love the name Sahar, it is quite a beautiful name. I haven't heard it before now.
Aw, thanks @Mike $ 🥰
There was a woman named Sahar that I knew in my younger days who came from a Lebanese family. When I first heard her name, the sound of it went through me to the core. I thought it was the most beautiful name I had ever heard. I feel fortunate to have been able to raise a Sahar of my own. She is a gem.

Top Bottom