Taking Guitar Lessons to Learn Ukulele?

hippowong

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very interested in Spanish style ukulele. Unfortunately it's not easy to find anyone who really teaches this in person. I have found lessons to learn Spanish Guitar. I am not particularly interested in learning the guitar but I want to translate the skills from the Spanish Guitar to the Ukulele.

Does this make sense to do this? Or am I just wasting my money here?

Thanks!

Search for threads started byTed4. He's done a lot of flamenco stuff on uke. :)

And what do you consider "Spanish"? There's a book by Rob MacKillop of 20 Spanish Baroque Pieces by Gaspar Sanz.

I've seen a few uke transcriptions of pieces by Spanish classical guitarists Fernando Sor and Francisco Tarrega.

I think the ukulele plays and feels much like a classical/nylon string guitar. I've never taken any formal lessons, but I've played steel string guitar for years. When I wanted to improve my ukulele form, I picked up a few classical guitar method books and the techniques translate quite well to the ukulele and have been a big help. You might check with local instructors - there may be a classical guitar teacher experienced with the ukulele or at least willing to work with you - seems like otherwise you'd have to purchase a nylon string guitar for lessons.....

Hi,

I am very interested in Spanish style ukulele. Unfortunately it's not easy to find anyone who really teaches this in person. I have found lessons to learn Spanish Guitar. I am not particularly interested in learning the guitar but I want to translate the skills from the Spanish Guitar to the Ukulele.

Does this make sense to do this? Or am I just wasting my money here?

Thanks!

Go right ahead and take the lessons. If you have a baritone ukulele its the same pitch as a guitar without the two bass strings. If your in standard GCEA its still pretty much the same but in a different key. I think it would sound more like Spanish Style with a low bass string and not reentrant tuning. Reentrant might be one step too far although there's nothing stoping you from doing this.

Anthony

Top Bottom