Tenor Metal Bodied Resonators Ukulele Luthier’s/brands?

Stellii

Reaction score
Tenor Metal Bodied Resonators Ukulele Luthier’s/brands?

I am selling my guitars and other uke’s to make an upgrade to the higher end reso metal body ukes . (I play on a gold tone reso tenor /concert metal body for the few years)

Any luthiers I should be searching for that have made tenor metal body resonator ukuleles ?

Right now I search for R.E. Philips, John Morton, Mattsen, wickland second hands but wasn’t sure if there were more I didn’t know about.

Please if you have any info in regards to preference, or wisdom to share please do

<3

Last edited:
I have a Beltona concert reso uke that I’ve had for a few years. The body is made of fiberglass instead of metal. It’s incredibly light and sounds great. I had a Recording King reso concert and while it sounded good, the Beltona was just better. Beltona is based in the UK but I bought mine used from a US seller.

Here’s my Beltona after being freshly restrung and detailed.
IMG_5072.jpeg

I have a Beltona concert reso uke that I’ve had for a few years. The body is made of fiberglass instead of metal. It’s incredibly light and sounds great. I had a Recording King reso concert and while it sounded good, the Beltona was just better. Beltona is based in the UK but I bought mine used from a US seller.

View attachment 161023
Just looked more into beltona definitely will have to keep them on my radar as well! Thank you!

View attachment 161023
It's just so snazzy!!!!

beltona are cool but I’m looking for that metal body sound that I love so much. I guess I’m just gonna have to run a patience game and consistently search for the metal body ukes second hand. I’ve seen a couple tenor John Morton’s go on the market in the last year I guess I’ll hope that there are some people here that will want to depart with them in the next couple years.

I find it frustrating that all the tenors metal bodies that are accessible are all concert body with tenor neck.

I did find that Risa made at least one metal body reso uke but I don’t know how many. I’m super curious if any one has seen on in the states. It sounded really good on video.

I checked into getting a metal National concert. They have a range of options, like steel, brass, or nickel-silver bodies. Neck options, peghead shape, fingerboard wood, etc.. Mine would have been about 6 grand. 14 month wait killed my interest.

I bought a Gold Tone ResoUke, brush finish nickel plated brass body, $500. Keeps me happy enough.

I checked into getting a metal National concert. They have a range of options, like steel, brass, or nickel-silver bodies. Neck options, peghead shape, fingerboard wood, etc.. Mine would have been about 6 grand. 14 month wait killed my interest.

I bought a Gold Tone ResoUke, brush finish nickel plated brass body, $500. Keeps me happy enough.
Yeah own a tenor gold tone. It's a decent instrument great for its price. Great purchase for those trying to see if they like the metal sound. I don't really want a national but it is interesting to hear the pricing. I know I cant afford a commission but do wonder how much re Philips are. The only luthier that I reached out too was Mattson he did a estimate of 2700 but he lives in NZ so + shipping. 6 grand is insane I literally will never lol

Hey, @Stellii. Would you consider going up in size to a tenor guitar?
I play a wood bodied tenor resonator (Mya-Moe) but I am going to be checking out these tenor guitar resonators from a company in Santa Barbara, CA when I get the chance. The prices are really good. I can't vouch for the quality, because I have not got my hands on one yet, but they are worth a look.

https://royallguitars.com/product-category/resonator-guitars/tenor-resonators/

Hey, @Stellii. Would you consider going up in size to a tenor guitar?
I play a wood bodied tenor resonator (Mya-Moe) but I am going to be checking out these tenor guitar resonators from a company in Santa Barbara, CA when I get the chance. The prices are really good. I can't vouch for the quality, because I have not got my hands on one yet, but they are worth a look.

https://royallguitars.com/product-category/resonator-guitars/tenor-resonators/
How funny I live near SB and this company. I have considered it but I’m not sure. The size of the uke is an advantage for me for travel/busking and why I left guitar so long ago. If I got the right strings for gcea it would still be pitched down on the guitar no? I’ve heard of reso guitars overpowering songwriters voices but I’m not sure if that’s just people who don’t project and sing softly. There’s a lot of variables that pushes me away from it. I’ve also considered a reso cavaquinho or that beltona super baritone but I think at the end of the day I don’t want to change my whole busking list of songs to adapt to a different instrument. Pretty instruments you gotta keep me in the loop if you get more answers to the quality!

How funny I live near SB and this company. I have considered it but I’m not sure. The size of the uke is an advantage for me for travel/busking and why I left guitar so long ago. If I got the right strings for gcea it would still be pitched down on the guitar no? I’ve heard of reso guitars overpowering songwriters voices but I’m not sure if that’s just people who don’t project and sing softly. There’s a lot of variables that pushes me away from it. I’ve also considered a reso cavaquinho or that beltona super baritone but I think at the end of the day I don’t want to change my whole busking list of songs to adapt to a different instrument. Pretty instruments you gotta keep me in the loop if you get more answers to the quality!
Yeah, the tenor guitar can be tuned like a baritone ukulele (DGBE) but it would have steel strings instead of nylon. The chord shapes from the ukulele will all work, but the names changed. The standard open G would be a D in this tuning (just like on a guitar.) Like you say, the tenor ukulele is a good size for portability. The tenor guitar would be a lot bigger. Speaking as a fellow busker, it might be worth going to see them anyway, since busking without an amp would be easier with the resonator tenor guitar.

Yeah, the tenor guitar can be tuned like a baritone ukulele (DGBE) but it would have steel strings instead of nylon. The chord shapes from the ukulele will all work, but the names changed. The standard open G would be a D in this tuning (just like on a guitar.) Like you say, the tenor ukulele is a good size for portability. The tenor guitar would be a lot bigger. Speaking as a fellow busker, it might be worth going to see them anyway, since busking without an amp would be easier with the resonator tenor guitar.
Appreciate it!

Top Bottom