Wanted Metal Bodied Resophonic Tenor/Baritone Steel String Ukes - What’s Available?

Price
AU$1234
Shipping
N/A
Size
Resonator tenor or baritone

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Despite my desire not to purchase any more Ukes (hahahahaha), I have hankering to acquire a metal bodied steel string tenor or baritone Resophonic Uke. Doing some research it seems that;
1. Many of the custom/small run builders are no longer making them, or
2. There’s not much choice when it comes to tenors or, particularly, baritones.
Is my perception correct? Are there any of these instruments gathering dust in UU members closets that are no longer wanted?
Please let me know what you know about this very rare type of Uke.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/tenor-metal-bodied-resonators-ukulele-luthier’s-brands.161123/

Some info in these threads

In Australia don morrision has made some really pretty galvanized metal ukes I’ve only seen one resold but you maybe able to find one in Australia or commission one.

In NZ mattsen makes some super pretty uke’s as well

Stuart Wailing commissions are super cheap to commission I’m in the process of talking with him right now. He ships from UK

RE Philips is super reputable but can be pricey and I think a long waiting list.

John Morton, RIP, made some pretty tenors

If you ever looking into the mass made metal tenors I recommend gold tone they did a good job with it for the pricing.

Stewart Wailing looks interesting. I love my Beltona. my Beltona is resin but I prefer it over the slightly harsher tone of the brass bodies.

Its worth at least knowing about the royall resonator tenor guitars. They come in two different scale lengths, both longer than a normal bari but a similar scale as the pono nui. I have one and can say it is pretty great!

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive and informative response. Some of your suggestions I have already investigated but they have panned out (e.g, Don Morrison who hasn’t built any in a while because his source of spun aluminium cones is no longer available and he hasn’t found an alternative that is acceptable). I’ve actually played a Morton that belonged to one of the performers at the Melbourne Ukulele Festival but have never seen one for sale. My favourite of all your suggestions is the work of Mattsen. Gorgeous work, fantastic sounding instruments but at a cost that I couldn’t afford at this point in time. I think that they are worth every penny as my current Beau Hannam tenor would have the same replacement value.
Republic Resonator Guitars used to do a very nice metal body tenor but are only doing concerts now.
Maybe I should consider a sacrifice of Abraham and sell one of current collection? A hard decision to make but necessary as I’m retired.

Did you all National of they would do a tenor

Its worth at least knowing about the royall resonator tenor guitars. They come in two different scale lengths, both longer than a normal bari but a similar scale as the pono nui. I have one and can say it is pretty great!
I really like the way they sound and look but a 25”+ scale length is just not an option for me. I had to sell all my guitars because my collapsing wrists made it too painful to play. Tenors are my preferred scale length

I have a gorgeous John Morton tenor that I will be selling, but it doesn't have steel strings and it's not in that price range. About as good as a resonator uke gets, though in my opinion!

I have a gorgeous John Morton tenor that I will be selling, but it doesn't have steel strings and it's not in that price range. About as good as a resonator uke gets, though in my opinion!
I’d appreciate it if you DM me to discuss further. If you could send some photos and a sound clip it would be great.

I have the 25" scale and it frets like butter(nui is 23)...soft and easy to play. With a resonator guitar, you are driving the cone rather than the sound board. A change from steel strings to nylon does not rob any of the volume from the instrument. Ordinarily, I'd use Thomastik-Infeld wound nylon strings but they are not long enough so I am using D'Addario EJ46 and they ring out just fine. also, the fret board and string spacing is more like a ukulele or Pono nui than a tenor guitar. It's big and a little heavy but I really like it...much easier to play then the Republic Hwy 49 tenor due to the more familiar string spacing and just as loud.

Top Bottom