That sneaky, sneaky baritone uke

Bobalonia

Reaction score
So I’ve been loving my tenor size instruments, and I added a baritone to the stable. It’s really been great, I adore the rich sound. Now I must say I replaced the strings with Living Water re-interact set.
the sound is so warm. But then it hit me. After 42 years playing guitar, I am noticing the similarity to a parlor nylon string guitar. Sneaky Baritone! I quickly grabbed my tenor and got my uke vibe back in place. I’ve got Concerts, Tenors, and the baritone in the collection. Hands are too big for Soprano.
Tomorrow I plan to readdress the Bari, and keep perspective. But gosh, it sure is a sweet sound!
Cheers and Best to you all

It's tuned like a guitar. What did you think it would sound like ? .. ;)

Absolutely! All ukes share the relationship of 4ths. one could say the tuning is the same , just add your capo to the 5th fret.
I guess my point is, all those years on guitar created a strong foundation.
And of course, there was a bit of satire attempted, sorry if I missed the mark……

So I’ve been loving my tenor size instruments, and I added a baritone to the stable. It’s really been great, I adore the rich sound. Now I must say I replaced the strings with Living Water re-interact set.
the sound is so warm. But then it hit me. After 42 years playing guitar, I am noticing the similarity to a parlor nylon string guitar. Sneaky Baritone! I quickly grabbed my tenor and got my uke vibe back in place. I’ve got Concerts, Tenors, and the baritone in the collection. Hands are too big for Soprano.
Tomorrow I plan to readdress the Bari, and keep perspective. But gosh, it sure is a sweet sound!
Cheers and Best to you all
Even my Tyde Tenor (low G) sounds almost like a mini classical guitar. Lots of depth, not so much highs and mids. It was exactly what I was looking for as my goal is to play the Uke more, the guitar less 😄

I have a Mele baritone that’s strung up gCea. When I did it I wanted to get as far away from anything having to do with the guitar. That was at least 4 years ago now. And I probably haven’t played that uke in around a year or so. I’m more of a soprano & concert guy.

People do great things on them, but personally I only like the really, really cheap ones. That "thunky" sound you get from a plywood body is great for bluesy stuff.

The expensive ones miss the point for me. My feeling is that while other people do great things if you you really like that sound, you'd better playing a nylon guitar.

As with many things in life, I'm easily distracted. I started with a tenor, then multiple concerts, one soprano(too small for my fingers), and then a baritone. Been sticking with the baritone for months now. I guess it took(as my grandmother would say). My other ukes are being neglected since I got the baritone. I played guitar(poorly) for a few decades. I had an accident that mangled a couple of fingers and it made continuing guitar uncomfortable. Years later, I discovered the ukulele. Problem solved. Now I play ukuleles... poorly. :giggle:

I am a newcomer to the uke scene having purchased a Pono baritone solid Acacia two months ago.
Having played an acoustic steel 6 string for several years I find the baritone to be quite different from my Taylor 322!
In any case, I’m enjoying the h… out of it!
I am always amazed by guitar players who are freaked out over the banjo, or, uke players aversion to guitar or baritone uke!
If it makes you happy, go for it!,
Play on, people!!

I enjoy the baritone quite a lot. Then again, I played guitar for a couple of decades before discovering ukulele. That's probably why I find anything smaller than a tenor to be cramped and uncomfortable to play.

I think figuring out your favorite size of uke is part of the journey. Put me in the slow learners camp as it has taken me awhile to discover the uke that speaks most to me. I started almost 7 years ago on. a soprano . . . mainly due to the price. Then I discovered a concert and then a tenor. I stayed with tenor for a few years. But then found nirvana in the baritone. Just love it. I am in the process of reducing my stable of 8 ukes to 2. I'll keep one bari and one tenor (but the tenor is tuned to DGBE thanks to Baby Bari strings). I'll use the tenor as my travel baritone.

People do great things on them, but personally I only like the really, really cheap ones. That "thunky" sound you get from a plywood body is great for bluesy stuff.

The expensive ones miss the point for me. My feeling is that while other people do great things if you you really like that sound, you'd better playing a nylon
I am a newcomer to the uke scene having purchased a Pono baritone solid Acacia two months ago.
Having played an acoustic steel 6 string for several years I find the baritone to be quite different from my Taylor 322!
In any case, I’m enjoying the h… out of it!
I am always amazed by guitar players who are freaked out over the banjo, or, uke players aversion to guitar or baritone uke!
If it makes you happy, go for it!,
Play on, people!!
100% agree. If it gets people to play more and enjoy life, it’s gotta be good!!

Top Bottom