The Luthier's Tiny Workshop

People often believe they want feedback when they really wish for validation.
That’s an interesting insight and I can see that it might well be the case here. As for the OP, my thoughts are in an earlier post; I wish him well and think that many of us have made the same error, it‘s easily done.

As too often is the case in this forum your reaction is completely unnecessary and unwarranted. You posted a suggestion and asked "what da ya think?" That is a question that seeks others view's.
Why bother to ask if you don't want them? Why complain people have given their views when it was you who asked for them? You need to have a word with yourself.

I can see why someone would say that, that’s a pity really and one in multiple ways. I’ve not been on the receiving end of the OP’s kindness and generosity to others but many folk have so for me it’s a case of looking at the wider picture. At one time we used to have more of a spirit of Aloha here ("love, compassion, sympathy, kindness"), it’s what sets UU apart from other places and a bit more Aloha towards others - from us all - would be a move in the right direction.

Last edited:
An example of the OP’s kindness to others that has just appeared on another thread:
“After a while Pete Howlett got in touch with me and helped me sort out the problems i had with construction.. he sent me a mahogany soundboard and back plate that he had made and they were really thin at about .065"...but when assembled sounded great.”

An example of the OP’s kindness to others that has just appeared on another thread:
“After a while Pete Howlett got in touch with me and helped me sort out the problems i had with construction.. he sent me a mahogany soundboard and back plate that he had made and they were really thin at about .065"...but when assembled sounded great.”
Yeh Pete's OK in my book ..he's a bit like a School Headmaster in his ways..maybe because he's done a lot of teaching over the years but he's a proper gent.....Right now that I've said that Pete you can send me some of those Koa sets that I know you have stashed away.

Yeh Pete's OK in my book ..he's a bit like a School Headmaster in his ways..maybe because he's done a lot of teaching over the years but he's a proper gent.....Right now that I've said that Pete you can send me some of those Koa sets that I know you have stashed away.

Ha ha he he....

And the difference between opinion and advice is? My own experience is any content is useful and oftentimes surprisingly helpful. I watch a huge variety of stuff totally unrelated to instrument building. Most of it has helped me. Validation - I certainly don't need that. An idea of what people would like to see would helped make the content more relevant. Surely everything must have a starting point or premise?

I

If I was interested in this item, I would ask the seller to show evidence that it is a Howlett. The headstock does not seem to have a logo and there is no photo of the back.

I would not expect Pete to confirm or deny he made this item, its up to the seller to do that with some documentation or a photo of Pete's signature on the uke. Maybe it is a student model, in which case the seller needs to explain what a student model is.

Also, perhaps you should move this post to UkeTalk? Its easy to do, start a thread in UkeTalk and re-post?
I was just asking out of curiosity so doesn't need a thread of its own, it's fine here as Pete did start this thread, and if it is one of his ukes i presume he made it in his luthiers tiny workshop (thread title).
Thanks for your input though Bill.

Sure. I would like to answer out of curiosity as well.

If it is not one of Petes ukes, the seller is misleading potential buyers. The photos and information show no proof of it being made by Pete Howlett. There has been other seemingly honest incidents of confusion when the 2nd owner does not know the difference between a ukulele made by Pete Howlett and a ukulele made in his workshop, large enough for teaching and not a tiny workshop, by a student.

However, I have no idea what Pete Howlett thinks about your post and I do not want to change this thread so far from its original topic. And I am not expecting Pete to post any comment at all on the eBay auction, he should not be expected to verify an eBay auction claim in a thread he started to collect data for one of his teaching projects.
You seem to have taken offence to a simple innocent question I asked somebody else, I certainly didn't ask for your in-depth analysis which does in fact change this thread far from it's original topic.
Good day sir!

I’m not taking sides on this but instead make a suggestion. When I want particular details of something from a particular person then I send them a private message, I find that that is effective.

(Edit. Grammar correction.)

Last edited:
You seem to have taken offence to a simple innocent question I asked somebody else, I certainly didn't ask for your in-depth analysis which does in fact change this thread far from it's original topic.
Good day sir!
I don't drill down threads or regularly follow this forum anymore so I am sorry if I miss stuff like this. My work is always signed - has been from day one. In the last 5 years, I have felt that my work has been good enough to put my logo and name on the headstock. I have a 95% accurate record of the 1040 instruments I have built since 1993 so can usually identify one if you give me the serial number.

Don't expect in-time replies if you use this forum to shout out for me because I really don't engage much these days. I've said everything I have to say about building and this business and y'all don't need to hear it again as most of it upsets people.

Top Bottom