The snakewood uke

From the Wood Database: Lignum vitae

Janka Hardness: 4390 lbf (19510 N) (!!!)

Workability: Lignum vitae has a tendency to skip over-top jointer cutters on account of its extremely high density, and very light passes are recommended. Lignum vitae will also dull cutters, and overall the wood is considered quite difficult to work. Also, due to its high oil content, it’s very difficult to get strong and reliable glue joints. Finishing can also be problematic as well.
?

From the Wood Database: Lignum vitae

Janka Hardness: 4390 lbf (19510 N) (!!!)

Workability: Lignum vitae has a tendency to skip over-top jointer cutters on account of its extremely high density, and very light passes are recommended. Lignum vitae will also dull cutters, and overall the wood is considered quite difficult to work. Also, due to its high oil content, it’s very difficult to get strong and reliable glue joints. Finishing can also be problematic as well.
The gluing! Right of course (you can tell I've never built an instrument lol!). Yeah that would definitely be a possible challenge. I think it might be ok for joinery but really challenging to cut because of the hardness but also the grain is weird (at least lignum vera certainly is).

I certainly suspected that finishing would be a serious challenge because of the oil content.

It's also SO dense. Maybe use it to make pegs and bridge 😂 might be too heavy for a body.

The gluing! Right of course (you can tell I've never built an instrument lol!). Yeah that would definitely be a possible challenge. I think it might be ok for joinery but really challenging to cut because of the hardness but also the grain is weird (at least lignum vera certainly is).

I certainly suspected that finishing would be a serious challenge because of the oil content.

It's also SO dense. Maybe use it to make pegs and bridge 😂 might be too heavy for a body.
Well I have a few planks, and one was already cut down to 3/8" book match sets. I've had those planks for about 2 years in my shop. Next step is to send them off to be torrefied, but I'm waiting for some maple to add to the bunch.

Removing the oil takes away a lot of those issues. Nothing is impossible ;)

I'd be torrified about the cost of terrification. How much does it cost to do?

Yes! It's becoming more popular, albeit in the acoustic guitar world. I've built several ukes with torrified wood, and the tone is measurable, and noticeable.
I know some luthiers that will stick wood in their oven at home, and think that its torrefied afterwards(it's not)LOL. I usually buy it from a distributor if a client wants a certain top or back/side set. For little pieces and one offs, I get in with someone I know in the wood business that can shove a few pieces for me in their pallet. Generally costs me anywhere from $75 - $200 for the bulk I send.

I love snakewood. Pretty instrument

Oddly enough I have some lignum vitae in the form of stair planks(quarter sawn too!) that a buddy gave me after remodeling a house. I'd certainly give it a try ;)
If you're serious about that, so am I what is the size of that wood?

Well I have a few planks, and one was already cut down to 3/8" book match sets. I've had those planks for about 2 years in my shop. Next step is to send them off to be torrefied, but I'm waiting for some maple to add to the bunch.

Removing the oil takes away a lot of those issues. Nothing is impossible ;)
Got any picks of this set...?

Top Bottom