The snakewood uke

de Houtwinkel

Reaction score
Completed this a while back, but the wanted to share this one-of-a-kind uke. I can't even tell you how many times my blades and chisels needed sharpening for all that snakewood.

20240207_151059.jpg20240207_150922.jpg20240207_150714.jpg20240207_150747.jpg
20240207_151036.jpg

What a beauty!

What's the neck made from? I love the contrast with the body, fretboard, and binding!

Last edited:
I've used snakewood in very small turning projects. I hear ya. But oh my goodness that is a glorious instrument, and well worth all that tool sharpening. Absolutely stunning grain. I'm with Kei, I like my bling in woodgrain (to a point... I think that can get a little outrageous too) and this really showcases some gorgeous wood. Lucky owner! Did they specifically request that combination? I would not have thought of snakewood for the body of an instrument!

I've used snakewood in very small turning projects. I hear ya. But oh my goodness that is a glorious instrument, and well worth all that tool sharpening. Absolutely stunning grain. I'm with Kei, I like my bling in woodgrain (to a point... I think that can get a little outrageous too) and this really showcases some gorgeous wood. Lucky owner! Did they specifically request that combination? I would not have thought of snakewood for the body of an instrument!
Definitely the worst wood I have ever bent, and it was full of surprises. I'm not even sure it can absorb water lol. The client definitely wanted lots of snakewood in their uke, and the back/side set just so happen to be available, so we pulled the trigger on it. It's definitely something you don't see everyday in the mix of the same woods being used elsewhere.

Definitely the worst wood I have ever bent, and it was full of surprises. I'm not even sure it can absorb water lol. The client definitely wanted lots of snakewood in their uke, and the back/side set just so happen to be available, so we pulled the trigger on it. It's definitely something you don't see everyday in the mix of the same woods being used elsewhere.
I'm super impressed you were able to bend the sides.

Beautiful. How does it sound though? I use pernambuco offcuts for making sculpture tools as it's got so much 'heft' to it in the hand. I'd often wondered what an ebony or lignum vitae ukulele would sound like, super thin...

Now that would be something. Or lignum vera. Wow. And the smell! But how would you finish it... those woods practically have built in finish with their waxy/oily compounds.
I am willing to be the lab rat. If anyone wants to build that rig (and probably some new tools 😆), I will buy it!

Beautiful. How does it sound though? I use pernambuco offcuts for making sculpture tools as it's got so much 'heft' to it in the hand. I'd often wondered what an ebony or lignum vitae ukulele would sound like, super thin...
It has a similar sound profile to ebony, and it will be pretty bright until the wood opens up a bit. The density actually helps especially for the sides, as you want stiff sides to support the structure better and get a better response.

I am willing to be the lab rat. If anyone wants to build that rig (and probably some new tools 😆), I will buy it!
Oddly enough I have some lignum vitae in the form of stair planks(quarter sawn too!) that a buddy gave me after remodeling a house. I'd certainly give it a try ;)

Oddly enough I have some lignum vitae in the form of stair planks(quarter sawn too!) that a buddy gave me after remodeling a house. I'd certainly give it a try ;)
I would SO be interested in hearing that and finding out what that result would be like! Not enough that I can bankroll it but if someone else does please post the results!!

Maybe we can start a "go-fund me" for this build since it would require time, and lots of sharpening lol.

From the Wood Database: Lignum vitae

Janka Hardness: 4390 lbf (19510 N) (!!!)

Workability: Lignum vitae has a tendency to skip over-top jointer cutters on account of its extremely high density, and very light passes are recommended. Lignum vitae will also dull cutters, and overall the wood is considered quite difficult to work. Also, due to its high oil content, it’s very difficult to get strong and reliable glue joints. Finishing can also be problematic as well.

Top Bottom