Titanium strings are almost unusable which makes me sad

Dohle

Reaction score
I love D'Addario Titanium strings and similar strings like the Ko'olau Alohi strings. I love the larger gauge compared to nylgut or fluorocarbon, I love the slight brightness they have compared to clear or black nylon (although the sound certainly doesn't suit every uke), and I simply adore the feel of the strings which is soft but still sort of glass-like. It's marvelous. But the issue I have with every variant of these Titanium strings (or whatever the monofilament that is used for them) is that they can't hold their tune. Whenever I tune up a uke with these strings on and start playing they always go sharp.

I did a little research and found some really old archived discussions here on UU that mentioned that these types of strings are very sensitive to temperature and/or humidity changes. I'm guessing that they heat up just a tiny bit when playing regularly, just enough for them to go out of tune. Actually, it's easy to test this by holding the string tight between your fingers and running them along the string a few times. This causes some friction and heat and always makes the string go sharp. The same happens with nylon strings (and probably with other types as well to an extent) but isn't nearly as noticeable, at least not with regular playing. First I thought the issue was that I had set up some of my ukes poorly such that the strings got caught in the nut slots or something but I tested this out with a professionally set up uke and I experienced the same issue.

So, any suggestions on how to deal with this issue or should I just give up on these strings?

I've had Titaniums on two ukes. One cheapish tenor where I used them to replace the stock nylons. One higher end baritone where they came installed on the uke. In both cases, I didn't care much for the sound. I can't tell if it's the ukes or the strings, since I haven't switched them out yet. At the time, I didn't have replacement strings, and I haven't played either uke much since then, so they're still strung with titaniums. I also had a Pono which I believe came with Ko'olau strings, and while I liked them better than the titaniums for clarity, I didn't love those either. You're right though, they did seem similar.

I haven't noticed sensitivity for the Titaniums, but on the baritone, the intonation is slightly off on the 2nd string. I don't know if it was just the strings.

I didn't find the strings to be bright compared to other nylon, and definitely not compared to carbon. In fact, on the tenor they were disappointingly more subdued sounding than the stock Aquilas they replaced. The only other kind of nylons I've used are standard Kamaka strings, and against popular opinion, I'm fond of those black nylons.

I agree about the feel. The Titaniums (and Ko'olaus on the Pono) are probably the best feeling strings I've used. But also some of the quietest, and in this case, I follow popular opinion and crave volume and projection in my ukes. Again, I don't know how much of the projection is the uke and how much is the string, but that more than anything makes it unlikely that I'll use them again.

Sorry, I'm reporting my experiences more than giving suggestions. I do recall having quite a bit of intonation problems with my Kamaka when I first got it (was shipped from a very different climate), and it took much much longer than other ukes to adjust. I always assumed it was just the uke itself, but based on your experiences, I'm wondering if the strings had anything to do with it as well. That said, the intonation issues pretty much disappeared after a while.

Titaniums we’re the stock strings on an iteration of the KoAlana I bought five or so years ago. I loved the Uke but not the strings. They sounded lifeless, but they did feel nice. I probably swapped them out with Worth Browns.

I sold it (got a nice return) , but wish I’d kept it.

When I had Titaniums on a uke, I didn't notice them going sharp (shrinking) particularly easily. It did take a good two weeks before they settled in.

If you heat something up, it expands. So the strings would get looser and go flat. They would have to get cooler to contract and go sharp.

Your uke also reacts to humidity as well as temperature. It could be changing due to its removal from the case to the room's humidity as well as the temperature. It's a much slower process than temperature. In grade school, we made barometers using a hair which expanded and contracted due to humidity and air pressure. Of course the keratin in hair is much more sensitive than the polymers in strings.

Are you sure it's the strings and not that you're pushing down too hard when you fret? Especially if your uke has high or medium frets. You don't have to always press the string to the fretboard. I have read that is a very common issue with guitar players and former guitarists. They press down very hard on the strings. I assume because they came from steel strings to Nylon or Fluorocarbons. I have to consciously think about using a lighter pressure to make my fingers ease up.

I've had Titaniums on two ukes. One cheapish tenor where I used them to replace the stock nylons. One higher end baritone where they came installed on the uke. In both cases, I didn't care much for the sound. I can't tell if it's the ukes or the strings, since I haven't switched them out yet. At the time, I didn't have replacement strings, and I haven't played either uke much since then, so they're still strung with titaniums. I also had a Pono which I believe came with Ko'olau strings, and while I liked them better than the titaniums for clarity, I didn't love those either. You're right though, they did seem similar.

I haven't noticed sensitivity for the Titaniums, but on the baritone, the intonation is slightly off on the 2nd string. I don't know if it was just the strings.

I didn't find the strings to be bright compared to other nylon, and definitely not compared to carbon. In fact, on the tenor they were disappointingly more subdued sounding than the stock Aquilas they replaced. The only other kind of nylons I've used are standard Kamaka strings, and against popular opinion, I'm fond of those black nylons.

I agree about the feel. The Titaniums (and Ko'olaus on the Pono) are probably the best feeling strings I've used. But also some of the quietest, and in this case, I follow popular opinion and crave volume and projection in my ukes. Again, I don't know how much of the projection is the uke and how much is the string, but that more than anything makes it unlikely that I'll use them again.

Sorry, I'm reporting my experiences more than giving suggestions. I do recall having quite a bit of intonation problems with my Kamaka when I first got it (was shipped from a very different climate), and it took much much longer than other ukes to adjust. I always assumed it was just the uke itself, but based on your experiences, I'm wondering if the strings had anything to do with it as well. That said, the intonation issues pretty much disappeared after a while.

I completely agree that the Titaniums can sound really subdued and weak, at least on certain ukes. I've found that they need quite a specific kind of uke to work with. Some ukes can sound fine with clear nylon or fluorocarbon but sound awful with Titaniums. On the other hand, I have a Millar mahogany concert that can take any type of nylon or similar string that I throw at it. Doesn't matter if it's clear or black nylon or Titaniums, it sounds great and projects like nothing else. I think there's something about the resonance that the Titaniums produce that just doesn't suit certain ukes. I'd say you need a uke with lots of natural projection and resonance in order to get the best out of these Titanium strings, and they certainly aren't for smaller ukes like sopranos.

In general, nylon strings quite significantly have poorer intonation compared fluorocarbon or even nylgut strings. I think it's mostly because of the larger gauge and the fact that they tend to stretch more. It's a shame since I usually prefer the sound to other types of strings.

When I had Titaniums on a uke, I didn't notice them going sharp (shrinking) particularly easily. It did take a good two weeks before they settled in.

If you heat something up, it expands. So the strings would get looser and go flat. They would have to get cooler to contract and go sharp.

Your uke also reacts to humidity as well as temperature. It could be changing due to its removal from the case to the room's humidity as well as the temperature. It's a much slower process than temperature. In grade school, we made barometers using a hair which expanded and contracted due to humidity and air pressure. Of course the keratin in hair is much more sensitive than the polymers in strings.

Are you sure it's the strings and not that you're pushing down too hard when you fret? Especially if your uke has high or medium frets. You don't have to always press the string to the fretboard. I have read that is a very common issue with guitar players and former guitarists. They press down very hard on the strings. I assume because they came from steel strings to Nylon or Fluorocarbons. I have to consciously think about using a lighter pressure to make my fingers ease up.

All I can say is that if you do the test I described (running your fingers along the length of the string) they go sharp, and that test is very easily reproduced. I can't describe the physics behind it but that's just the way it goes. I doubt the issue is with the temperature or humidity of the room I play in because the strings go sharp only after playing (or after the test I described). Otherwise they are perfectly stable. Of course the issue might very well be related to humidity instead of temperature, but regardless it is definitely because of playing, or in other words, because of touching the strings.

Also, the issue isn't really with intonation but rather with how the string holds its tune when played open. I tune the strings up while playing them open as per usual, I then play a song or two, after which I again check the tuning of the strings by playing them open, and the result is that they're now sharp. That's the actual issue. I don't think pressing too hard on a string would affect them like that. In fact, pressing the string - be it hard or soft - should actually stretch the string and make it go flat (albeit very little) but here I've observed the opposite. Very puzzling.

I went down the Titanium strings rabbit hole and this is what if found………

I did not like how subdued they sounded. Pretty much on all the the tenors I had. They went sharpe as mentioned. They felt HARD under to my finger. That is hard tension wise. It’s been a long while since I’ve tried them……and the probably will revisit it with DAddario Titanium’s when I can find them.

NOW, I must mention…..I likely didn’t keep the, on any ukulele long enough. Back when I did this , I’d change string after a Week or even a few days if I did not like the sound. So, I may have been guilty of not giving then a long enough break in period. It was the high tension I believe thinking back and the muted sound that killed titanium for me.

Current re doing the Aquila line on a solid top, laminate mahogany TT…..and first round with New Nylgut is very good. They stay in tune. Feel good, sound good…..I can wait to try the other on this ukulele.

I will add, that it’s often a good idea to revisit our notions found from trying strings in the past and our conclusions. That is what re trying the Aquila line has done for me. For years I’ve been only flurocarbon string user. Recently I tried D’Addario flack Nylon on a Pono AT and they sound good. Not as good as Oasis bright but nice and different. Likewise, trying the New Nylgut on my TT. I got bored with all my tenor sounding the same with Flurocarbon strings on them.

Next, when experimenting, leave string on for a month or more…..to really tell if you like them.

Finally, our tastes in sounds, ukes and string can change over time.

Sorry did not want to hi jerk thread but all info is relative. As to why Titanium go sharpe….I do t know

All I can say is that if you do the test I described (running your fingers along the length of the string) they go sharp, and that test is very easily reproduced. I can't describe the physics behind it but that's just the way it goes. I doubt the issue is with the temperature or humidity of the room I play in because the strings go sharp only after playing (or after the test I described). Otherwise they are perfectly stable. Of course the issue might very well be related to humidity instead of temperature, but regardless it is definitely because of playing, or in other words, because of touching the strings.

Also, the issue isn't really with intonation but rather with how the string holds its tune when played open. I tune the strings up while playing them open as per usual, I then play a song or two, after which I again check the tuning of the strings by playing them open, and the result is that they're now sharp. That's the actual issue. I don't think pressing too hard on a string would affect them like that. In fact, pressing the string - be it hard or soft - should actually stretch the string and make it go flat (albeit very little) but here I've observed the opposite. Very puzzling.

I've had that happen with several types of strings. I've concluded that the problem is with the electronic tuner and not the strings. I've found that if I take the Snark tuner at its first indication, it's always wrong. I turn it on and play a string and it says it's in tune. But it doesn't sound right. If I then tighten the string just a tiny bit, it says that the string is flat or sharp. Even if I tuned everything up a few minutes before. I always tune from flat to in-tune. I always let the meter go to zero before trying the string again. The battery is fresh. The peg is tight and the string isn't slipping. Yet, for some reason, what was in-tune minutes ago is off.

Often, I break out the Peterson and check, and the strings are indeed out of tune.

I've used D'Addario Titanium strings on one of my classical guitars for years but haven't noticed any of the trebles going sharp at all. But then the temperature doesn't vary much here in Honolulu. In fact Titanium trebles stabilize much sooner than normal nylon strings. Didn't care for Titaniums on my 'ukuleles. I like the thickness but prefer the sound of carbons on 'ukuleles, albeit I wish carbons were as responsive to vibrato as the Titanium strings. Oddly, save for the third string, carbons are unbearable on my guitars

Gochugogi, been using Savarez 520 p1, New Cristal Corum & D'Addario Pro-arte strings on my classical guitars. Noticed that they all go sharp after playing continuously for about an hour. Has that been your experience?

I mainly use D'Addario Pro-arte Extended Play and Titaniums and, nope, they rarely go sharp unless I go from home to a classroom or stage with AC, but then they settle in after about 20 minutes. I just tried a couple sets of the Savarez New Cristal Corum on my old Ramirez. Didn't notice them going sharp but the basses were too dead for me out the gate. Sounded like D'Addario's after being played in for a month. Liked the trebles albeit they scratch (become rough) from by fingernails faster than Titanium and nylons. The only string I've never noticed going sharp is the D'Addario Composite G string—the khaki colored one. I is often about a 1/4 tone sharp in the morning if there's a significant temperature drop at night. Of course Honolulu temperature is very consistent. When I lived in Washington state my tuning was a mess due to so much temperature variation from day to night.

I've had that happen with several types of strings. I've concluded that the problem is with the electronic tuner and not the strings. I've found that if I take the Snark tuner at its first indication, it's always wrong. I turn it on and play a string and it says it's in tune. But it doesn't sound right. If I then tighten the string just a tiny bit, it says that the string is flat or sharp. Even if I tuned everything up a few minutes before. I always tune from flat to in-tune. I always let the meter go to zero before trying the string again. The battery is fresh. The peg is tight and the string isn't slipping. Yet, for some reason, what was in-tune minutes ago is off.

Often, I break out the Peterson and check, and the strings are indeed out of tune.

My issue is definitely not related to the tuner. I always use the Peterson strobe tuner to check initial tuning and then again after playing and it shows that the strings have gone sharp. And in fact I wouldn't need to check with the tuner anyway because I can hear the strings going out of tune. They really go that sharp, at least occasionally.

I have one of my concerts strung with Titaniums currently. I'll try to keep them on at least for a month or so to see if they stabilize at all.

My Enya Nova U Pro came with D'Dario Titaniums. At first I was going to change them out for uke logic pink sandia supercarbon soft tensions, my favorite strings, but ended up liking the Titaniums enough. I havent had the issue with going sharp.

Do you think it could be that run of strings, or have you had this experience on other ukes? I’m going to play my Enya Nova Pro today and see if it happens.

Do you think it could be that run of strings, or have you had this experience on other ukes? I’m going to play my Enya Nova Pro today and see if it happens.

I doubt it. I've experienced this not just with one uke or a few string sets but multiple different ukes and even different string manufacturers. I mentioned other similar strings to D'Addario Titaniums such as Ko'olau Alohi strings and I've experienced the same issue with them as well (although I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are the same exact strings).

Ah well, it was worth asking--I didn't read your post carefully enough. I just played the Nova, but only briefly, so no change.

I doubt it. I've experienced this not just with one uke or a few string sets but multiple different ukes and even different string manufacturers. I mentioned other similar strings to D'Addario Titaniums such as Ko'olau Alohi strings and I've experienced the same issue with them as well (although I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are the same exact strings).

I love D'Addario Titanium strings and similar strings like the Ko'olau Alohi strings. I love the larger gauge compared to nylgut or fluorocarbon, I love the slight brightness they have compared to clear or black nylon (although the sound certainly doesn't suit every uke), and I simply adore the feel of the strings which is soft but still sort of glass-like. It's marvelous. But the issue I have with every variant of these Titanium strings (or whatever the monofilament that is used for them) is that they can't hold their tune. Whenever I tune up a uke with these strings on and start playing they always go sharp.

I did a little research and found some really old archived discussions here on UU that mentioned that these types of strings are very sensitive to temperature and/or humidity changes. I'm guessing that they heat up just a tiny bit when playing regularly, just enough for them to go out of tune. Actually, it's easy to test this by holding the string tight between your fingers and running them along the string a few times. This causes some friction and heat and always makes the string go sharp. The same happens with nylon strings (and probably with other types as well to an extent) but isn't nearly as noticeable, at least not with regular playing. First I thought the issue was that I had set up some of my ukes poorly such that the strings got caught in the nut slots or something but I tested this out with a professionally set up uke and I experienced the same issue.

So, any suggestions on how to deal with this issue or should I just give up on these strings?
Yes, to all you said above. I like the sound and the feel of the strings, but after three months on two different ukuleles, the strings will not settle down. And yes, they go sharp after a few minutes of playing. If I retune, continue playing, and put the uke down for a few days, the strings go flat. It's annoying enough that I won't be buying the strings again. Going back to Aquila Reds.

And yes, they go sharp after a few minutes of playing. If I retune, continue playing, and put the uke down for a few days, the strings go flat.

As unfortunate as it is, I'm very happy to hear you say this! I didn't think it was possible for strings to go sharp while playing, so I thought I was going more insane! But it was so obvious that it was impossible to avoid the conclusion that that's exactly what was happening.

Since I didn't have any idea that it COULD happen, I was sure that I must have done something wrong installing them to allow it to happen.

The distress I was feeling was compounded by the fact that these were the first replacement strings I'd bought! I was really sweating, too. "My g--, what have I done? Am I really not able to do this?!?"

I went with other strings and they were fine, but I assumed that part of the reason why is that these were now my second strings, and I felt like I had the hang of it better...

...but when hearing this, I realize now that I might have done the first ones just fine, and it was the strings all along! NOW I know that if I don't like strings after the first week or so, it's better to just toss 'em, but I didn't have anything like that kind of confidence to start.

I like other D'Addarios, which is why I got these, so it gives me no pleasure to say anything negative about them. But it did give me relief to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom