Tuners - Not Tuning Machines

Yes, I always pick chromatic.
However, if you're restringing and you have removed all strings (or detuned them significantly) you might want to pick uke (or guitar in case of DGBE strings) to minimise the risk of picking the wrong octave. Chromatic setting does not identify the pitch, only the notes. Once you know you've tuned to a=440Hz, you can set it back to Chromatic.

Yes, I always pick chromatic.
However, if you're restringing and you have removed all strings (or detuned them significantly) you might want to pick uke (or guitar in case of DGBE strings) to minimise the risk of picking the wrong octave. Chromatic setting does not identify the pitch, only the notes. Once you know you've tuned to a=440Hz, you can set it back to Chromatic.
Odd. I don't like the tuners that can be used for other instruments. I've had trouble tuning a uke, and I see that the tuner is set for something other than ukulele. On this tuner, I can adjust the 440 up and down, but I don't like the lack of a uke setting. I think I'll give it away.

And another thing: I have a tuner with no way to turn it on. I've seen all kinds of tuners, but this is a first. Maybe it turns on automatically when it hears a tune.

Got it! It turns on when it clamps onto a surface. Amazing.

Last edited:
When I first string my uke, I use Soundcorset app to check that I've got the right notes (i.e. in the correct octave). After I've made sure I'm in the right ballpark, then I use my clip on tuner to refine it, set to Chromatic. I do have an "ukulele" setting on it, but I've never liked using that, I like to know what note I'm at, not just whether I'm sharp or flat for the target note.

Another +1 for chromatic. Even if a tuner has a uke setting I just leave it at chromatic.

I always use the chromatic mode, even when there is a separate ukulele mode. I think the instrument-specific modes are silly. I was at a jam session once and one of the new players was trying to tune their ukulele with a tuner that was set to guitar mode. They almost broke a string because the guitar mode got confused by the GCEA notes.

Regarding 440, I'm told the main reason to change that is if you are playing in a group with a vintage piano, then you should tune to whatever they are tuned to since their instrument may not be tunable to 440. They should be able to tell you what frequency to use. Also, some professional symphonies will tune to something else to match their symphony hall or for other reasons, but I've never played with any group that wanted to try that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom