What is your current lineup and how do you categorize them?

Real nice thread Lenny....a lot of fun and interesting reading. Great insight into many fellow UUer's who I've exchanged info and ideas over the years, and also bought and sold from,.....what they have in their stables today.................and their current batting orders.

This is where I am now, after a year of mostly collection reductions (In order of favorites):

* Moore Bettah Koa Concert (The Shanghai Buddha)
* Goat Rock Koa 16" Concert
* Kanile'a Koa/Sapwood Concert
* Talsma Quilted Mahogany Style 3 Concert

Currently undergoing inspection, setup and fine tuning for Marketplace sale:

* Kamaka Spruce/Koa Ohta-san
* Covered Bridge Northern Red Cedar/Koa Concert

Fun Strummers and/or Beaters:

* Cordoba "Koa" Concert 25 CK (Actually Portuguese Acacia and Made in Portugal)
* Mainland Long Neck Cedar and Rosewood Pineapple Soprano
* Fluke Tye-dye Concert
* Morgan Monroe Concert Banjo-uke
* Oscar Schmidt OU-2 Mahogany Concert (my first uke 15-16 years ago)

Last edited:
I'm grouping our ukes according to which ones my wife and I play together, depending on tuning and size, and then on how often we play them and how much we like each one:

Tenors tuned to linear B
Beau Hannam - Maple / Swiss Moon Spruce
Ko'olau - Milo / Sinker Redwood
LFdM - Malaysian Blackwood / Cedar

Tenor Guitars with steel strings tuned like a Baritone to linear G
Pono UL4 - Rosewood / Spruce
Kala KA-GTR - Rosewood / Spruce

Baritones tuned to linear G
Pono Baritone Nui BN-10D - Acacia
Pono RTSHC - Rosewood / Spruce
Kanile'a K1-BP - Koa

Tenors tuned to linear C
Moore Bettah - Koa
Pono ETSHC - Macassar Ebony / Cedar
KoAloha Opio - Sapele
Kanile'a K1-TSF - Koa

Concerts and smaller tuned to linear C
Hoffmann ML - Ebony / Spruce
Kinnard Series 3 - Cocobolo / Sinker Redwood
Kanile'a K1-CP - Koa
Romero Creations XS Soprano - Koa / Spruce

Sopranos and smaller tuned to reentrant C
Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple - Koa
KoAloha Noah Sopranino - Koa

Tenors with steel strings tuned to linear C
Toby Chennell Archtop Jazzbox Uke - Maple / Spruce
Clearwater (AKA Vorson) Thinbody Electric - Maple Sunburst

The following are just as great as any of the ukes above, but don't get played as often, so I'd consider selling, but only if picked up locally in Switzerland (because of high taxes and shipping fees):
Kala KA-C - Laminate Mahogany Concert
Pono MGTP - Mango Pineapple Tenor
Pono AT - Acacia Tenor
Pono Thinbody Electric TE - Acacia Tenor

Great idea for a thread, Lenny! Interesting to read what everyone is having and enjoying - and planning to sell...

Even though I may not have the numbers, I feel that the quality of my current lineup of instruments greatly exceeds my playing abilities!

YEP!

Although I have very limited time to relax and enjoy myself - therefore as long as I meet my obligations to family, family pets, friends etc, I deserve to enjoy my free time playing badly on the best instruments I can lay my hands on.

Well, I did this on a different thread recently but there's been a slight change so here are my ukes, non ukes, and the ukes that didn't make the cut so they have been rehomed.

Godin multiuke low G, for playing out, classical

Good time banjolele, for clawhammer

Orange flea concert, d6 tuning because I love it

Kiwaya laminate for classical, Campanella

Hadean bass uke, for backing up others

Ozark 8 steel string prototype concert scale mandolele. Basically this is a mandolin body, with a wider neck and modifications to the build to allow tuning GCEA. I got this to be able to go to folk jams, have not figured out how to really play it though. Just restrung it so it is not octave tuned and I love the haunting sound now! May sell in the future.

Caramel zebra wood baritone - had it a week. Overbuilt but spectacular for an $80 instrument. This is my 3rd time trying w a baritone and I will stick with it. For Celtic, folk/americana and playing in groups since the mandolele is a little too LOUD!

Non-uke,
Dulcimer - David Lynch - love this instrument, don't do much with it
Trap set - generic brand, kids model - I'm a percussionist so can't not have it
Auto harp - gift from inlaws

Rehomed
Córdoba cuatro - first baritone, dull sound, not a fan
Green tenor fluke - developed a fret buzz
Duke banjolele - tinny, heavy, clumsy.
Kanilea super tenor - amazing sound and playability, too stressful to own with little kids around
Cocobolo concert - lovely sound and playability, needed some money for the holidays.

There are some great collections listed here. Positively drool worthy.

For my list I will continue to be a lazy arse and refer readers to my signature (it is after midnight in Melbourne now).

Although I have very limited time to relax and enjoy myself - therefore as long as I meet my obligations to family, family pets, friends etc, I deserve to enjoy my free time playing badly on the best instruments I can lay my hands on.

+1. And, bit by bit, that playing is improving for me. That's a great hobby.

All of my ukes are listed in my signature and I categorize them by size and tuning. It's been fun figuring out which tuning sounds best with each uke. I'm in a good spot right now where I'm not interested in buying or selling any...hopefully it stays that way and UAS doesn't strike again.

After a year of playing I have realized that I prefer tenors.

TENORS
Webber spruce/walnut. This is the best neck for me out of all the ukes I have tried. Very articulate and responsive with a sweet tone.
Koaloha KTM-00- I love the tone on this one

CONCERT
Kanilea K1- nice sound but will likely get it ready for the marketplace. It was the first uke that I bought and have realized that I prefer tenors. I hate that it sits in its case.

GUITALELE
Córdoba mini r- just got it for a Christmas present. Like the wide neck. Great for the price and really playable.

I think that I have too many ukes. I never really had more than one or two guitars. This thread helps with the guilt.��

Some interesting categorizations. I basically categorize by tuning but not so much by key or even size since I always Think in C
Linear: Ono bari(Ab), Konablaster electric bari(G), KPK longneck soprano(C),
Reentrant: Iriguchi Tenor(Bb), Cocobolo 16" concert(D), Imua iET(Bb)
Cuatro: Ohana TKS-15E Tenor(Eb), in-progress(Eb)

Well, as I see some of my Ukulele friends are not holding back … it kind of makes my UAS mild in comparison.

My favourite places to buy my Ukes:

-Hawaii Music Supply. I just appreciate Andrew and his support so much. It is a pleasure buying from him.
-Ukulele Underground. Great people here, and fair prices. I can buy something used here in excellent condition, I wouldn't be able to buy elsewhere.

I play all of my Ukes and none are up for sale, currently ... LOL

Soprano Re entrant:
Keli’i Long Neck Soprano. It was inexpensive to buy, and still is fun.

Concert Re entrant:
Kamaka - HF2L. The closest I get to soprano. :)

Tenor Linear:
LFdM - Sinker Redwood Top, Blackwood B & S. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.
Kamaka - 100th Anniversary HF3L. HMS purchase. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.
Pono - ETSH5 with slotted head stock. 1st HMS purchase. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.

Tenor Re entrant:
Ko’olau - T100SP - Master Grade Koa. Love this finger style and thumb dragged. Might try it low G, but will give a few string changes. Currently Fremont BlackLines sound great on it. It came with PhD's. THANKS HODGE A BUNCH!
Kinnard - Tenor Sunburst, with Sound port and cut away. This really hits the spot for contemporary music. Warm mid range with sparkle. THANKS STEVE A BUNCH, AS WELL!

Both have superb tone, and playability. Keepers.

Baritone Linear:
Pono - RBSHC Spruce top. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.

I am predominantly a Tenor player, but will be looking for a Baritone to string re entrant, if the HF3L doesn’t sound great as a dGBE. Although, I love it as is … I might need another Baritone.

Vocally, if I play tenor CGaFG7 etc on a Baritone ... same shapes, it really works for my voice. I just find strumming on the Baritone linear really boomy ... so perhaps the smaller body of the HF3L might be just what I am looking for.

I sold 3 Ukes, and bought 4 this year. Will try to only buy 2 Ukes this year.

Last edited:
This is a GREAT thread. Every post is a gem that I delight in showing to my dear husband. Poor thing, he seems to have difficulty comprehending how essential it is to own many, many ukuleles. Many. I classify ukuleles by function and psychological need. To wit:

The shiny perfect new thing when I want to show off: Blackbird Clara

The old faithful sidekick when I can't be bothered with a uke that can't stand up by its own self like a man: Concert Fluke (circa 2000)

The percussive loud thing for leading at uke club because they can hear the strum and hopefully stay together without me having to yell "1-2-3-4" repeatedly with ever-growing ire: Firefly soprano banjo uke

The thing that weighs the least when I'm lugging a uke around all day: Firefly

For those times when only a banjo can do it right because that's what Kermit the Frog plays and Kermit is my spirit animal: Firefly wins again

For when I am tired of passing as a respectable suburban matron: Recording King metal-body resonator concert with champagne finish and mother-of-toilet-seat headstock, named Little Gatemouth because Big Gatemouth is a resonator mountain dulcimer the size of a battleship and I play that when I want you to fear me

For when I am playing folk music with flowers in my long flowing silver hair and I do not care what key this is: Cheapest Kala laminate baritone tuned DGBE

The uke that used to be mine until my son stole it away to college:
Werco banjo uke (circa 1960) that sounds like a machine gun

The uke in my office next to the computer because my son traded it to me for the Werco: A quiet, soft blue Flea soprano, played more than all the rest because it's handy when I'm finding songs online and arranging them

I look forward to acquiring new ukuleles as the need arises because, long term, they are cheaper than Prozac.

Lenny, provided that the timing is right (that I have enough cash in hand) when you part with one of your Ohta-Sans, I would be happy to adopt one from you (fingers crossed)...:)

You are on my list. :cool:

Good idea Lenny. Reviewing and Categorizing is great way to decide which ones to should go.

I play and neglect all of my ukes.

Here's my current ukes. Generally I categorize by size and tuning.

soprano, Reent C " Moore Bettah koa soprano, I've only got 1

Baritone DGBE: Favilla Baritone, Pono EBSH(S)-PC

Baritone DGBE steel strings: Pono UL4-10 Acacia

Every other uke I have is a tenor. Oddly I have no concerts.

Tenor Linear C: Takamine (office uke), Compass Rose flamed cherry, Moore Bettah koa slotted head, vanPelt sinker Redwood/koa, Mya-Moe Striped Myrtle Classic, I'iwi koa, J. Rieck koa/spruce, Kinnard tobacco sunburst Mahogany slotted head, Koa Works koa

Tenor Linear B: Beau Hannam redwood/Brazilian rosewood, Steve Grimes Quilted SB Maple, LFDM spruce/rosewood

Tenor Reentrant C: Pegasus koa, LFdM cedar/rosewood, TODA German Spruce/ Madagascar Rosewood, Pete Howlett Spruce/Makore

Tenor Reentrant B:Makapili POC/Claro, Pete Howlett Korina Hawaiian

I do need to re-home some tenors.

I am regretting not getting that Aaron Oye from you when it was available, but it did free up funds so that could get:

1) ????
2) ????
3) ????

There's always more...
and Hodge, :drool: on your wonderful variety.

Last edited:
Main Players - Howlett Mahogany Concert
Alder Concert (made on a Howlett course) Low G

On the way (hoping by end of Jan :) - Tom Ziegenspeck Cedar top, Rosewood body Tenor

Occasional Players - Big Island Honu Koa Big body concert
Hamano Mahogany Soprano

Travel - Risa soprano stick

Rarely Played/Novelty - Soprano noname Koa from Vietnam
Home made large cigar box 5 string tenor (tuned as Baritone)

Sentimental - Home made long neck Soprano with dreadful action due to a misaligned neck!

You may be interested in a thread I have coming up about some custom work I had done to my RISA stick. It should be great. Watch for it...

Real nice thread Lenny....a lot of fun and interesting reading. Great insight into many fellow UUer's who I've exchanged info and ideas over the years, and also bought and sold from,.....what they have in their stables today.................and their current batting orders.

This is where I am now, after a year of mostly collection reductions (In order of favorites):

* Moore Bettah Koa Concert (The Shanghai Buddha)
* Goat Rock Koa 16" Concert
* Kanile'a Koa/Sapwood Concert
* Talsma Quilted Mahogany Style 3 Concert

Currently undergoing inspection, setup and fine tuning for Marketplace sale:

* Kamaka Spruce/Koa Ohta-san
* Covered Bridge Northern Red Cedar/Koa Concert

Fun Strummers and/or Beaters:

* Cordoba "Koa" Concert 25 CK (Actually Portuguese Acacia and Made in Portugal)
* Mainland Long Neck Cedar and Rosewood Pineapple Soprano
* Fluke Tye-dye Concert
* Morgan Monroe Concert Banjo-uke
* Oscar Schmidt OU-2 Mahogany Concert (my first uke 15-16 years ago)

Steve, a superb variety. Great selection and a really nice collection of varied sounds, body styles, sizes, and looks.

Okay, I'll play... but I doubt if many or any are familiar with them, which I like.

I have 2 tenors that are my primary players...

The first is a tenor made by John Fitzgerald, he's local and there is little out there about him. I don't think he is in any stores anywhere. No website. I was lucky enough to get his first uke. Sound and workmanship is first class. Really nice guy. Will play this one till I die.

The second tenor was made by Keith Ogata 10+ years ago. This is one of those love-hate best friend instruments. I've tweaked it so many times, tried every string on it, always sounds bright with tons of sustain which is the love-hate, but if I ever faced one if those wild west situations where I had to play (instead of dance) like my life depended on it, this is the uke I would place my life on. Keith is a super nice guy. He has a website, ASD Hawaii Ukuleles, but it hasn't been updated since 2010, so I don't know if he is building anymore.

From there the rest get played as needed...

A Keith Ogata tenor that is at my brother's. Neck is a little too chunky. Big sound no cut-away so upper frets are harder to get to.

Three 3 string a 1 four string ukuleles made by Fred Shields. 3 string ukes are the easiest instruments to play on the face of the earth. They are truly no-brainers, obviously lose some of that uke sound, but picture playing a D and E chord with only three strings. There are no barre chords, unless you want to play one.

And... I have a 60's Harmony baritone. It reminds me if an old Ventura classical guitar I hauled around in college.

John

Edit Added: The true measure of how much an instrument is loved is found on the fretboard wear.

Last edited:
I'm grouping our ukes according to which ones my wife and I play together, depending on tuning and size, and then on how often we play them and how much we like each one:

Tenors tuned to linear B
Beau Hannam - Maple / Swiss Moon Spruce
Ko'olau - Milo / Sinker Redwood
LFdM - Malaysian Blackwood / Cedar

Tenor Guitars with steel strings tuned like a Baritone to linear G
Pono UL4 - Rosewood / Spruce
Kala KA-GTR - Rosewood / Spruce

Baritones tuned to linear G
Pono Baritone Nui BN-10D - Acacia
Pono RTSHC - Rosewood / Spruce
Kanile'a K1-BP - Koa

Tenors tuned to linear C
Moore Bettah - Koa
Pono ETSHC - Macassar Ebony / Cedar
KoAloha Opio - Sapele
Kanile'a K1-TSF - Koa

Concerts and smaller tuned to linear C
Hoffmann ML - Ebony / Spruce
Kinnard Series 3 - Cocobolo / Sinker Redwood
Kanile'a K1-CP - Koa
Romero Creations XS Soprano - Koa / Spruce

Sopranos and smaller tuned to reentrant C
Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple - Koa
KoAloha Noah Sopranino - Koa

Tenors with steel strings tuned to linear C
Toby Chennell Archtop Jazzbox Uke - Maple / Spruce
Clearwater (AKA Vorson) Thinbody Electric - Maple Sunburst

The following are just as great as any of the ukes above, but don't get played as often, so I'd consider selling, but only if picked up locally in Switzerland (because of high taxes and shipping fees):
Kala KA-C - Laminate Mahogany Concert
Pono MGTP - Mango Pineapple Tenor
Pono AT - Acacia Tenor
Pono Thinbody Electric TE - Acacia Tenor

Great idea for a thread, Lenny! Interesting to read what everyone is having and enjoying - and planning to sell...

I have been pleased seeing the ukes that we all own in this format. Some use signatures, some mention it in their posts, but this thread has enabled us as buyers, and as sellers to see what is out there in a more detailed way. The items from people we like to follow and read about gives us ideas of little heard of Ukes that deserve our attention and respect...

Okay, I'll play... but I doubt if many or any are familiar with them, which I like.

Three 3 string a 1 four string ukuleles made by Fred Shields. 3 string ukes are the easiest instruments to play on the face of the earth. They are truly no-brainers, obviously lose some of that uke sound, but picture playing a D and E chord with only three strings. There are no barre chords, unless you want to play one.

John

I am familiar with the Fred Shields Ukes. I had a chance to play a few at the Midwest Uke festival last year ( the 4 string variety) and they were fun and easy to play. Smaller with a unique look to them, this is the exact reason why I started this thread. This way we can see some and learn about these little known Ukes from lesser known luthiers, and see the wonderful variety that is available...

Well, as I see some of my Ukulele friends are not holding back … it kind of makes my UAS mild in comparison.

My favourite places to buy my Ukes:

-Hawaii Music Supply. I just appreciate Andrew and his support so much. It is a pleasure buying from him.
-Ukulele Underground. Great people here, and fair prices. I can buy something used here in excellent condition, I wouldn't be able to buy elsewhere.

I play all of my Ukes and none are up for sale, currently ... LOL

Soprano Re entrant:
Keli’i Long Neck Soprano. It was inexpensive to buy, and still is fun.

Concert Re entrant:
Kamaka - HF2L. The closest I get to soprano. :)

Tenor Linear:
LFdM - Sinker Redwood Top, Blackwood B & S. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.
Kamaka - 100th Anniversary HF3L. HMS purchase. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.
Pono - ETSH5 with slotted head stock. 1st HMS purchase. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.

Tenor Re entrant:
Ko’olau - T100SP - Master Grade Koa. Love this finger style and thumb dragged. Might try it low G, but will give a few string changes. Currently Fremont BlackLines sound great on it. It came with PhD's. THANKS HODGE A BUNCH!
Kinnard - Tenor Sunburst, with Sound port and cut away. This really hits the spot for contemporary music. Warm mid range with sparkle. THANKS STEVE A BUNCH, AS WELL!

Both have superb tone, and playability. Keepers.

Baritone Linear:
Pono - RBSHC Spruce top. Keeper. Unbelievable tone.

I am predominantly a Tenor player, but will be looking for a Baritone to string re entrant, if the HF3L doesn’t sound great as a dGBE. Although, I love it as is … I might need another Baritone.

Vocally, if I play tenor CGaFG7 etc on a Baritone ... same shapes, it really works for my voice. I just find strumming on the Baritone linear really boomy ... so perhaps the smaller body of the HF3L might be just what I am looking for.

I sold 3 Ukes, and bought 4 this year. Will try to only buy 2 Ukes this year.

I wonder if we should have a side pool to see if Simon will only buy two Ukes this year. I have spies in Toronto that will reveal all.......

Top Bottom