Headstock Finish Advice

Kei

Aloha
Reaction score
I wasn’t certain whether this question would be better here or in the luthier’s lounge - but figured I couldn’t go wrong over here. I am in the process of changing out a set of tuners from gears-n-ears to Gotoh planetary pegs on a tenor I have. Attached is a photo illustrating what is at the heart of my question.

The existing tuners had been in there for some years and it is easy to see. I’m wondering two things:
  • does anyone have any good tips on filling and masking the screw holes?
  • perhaps more easily done is getting rid of the sheen/color variation on the wood that was underneath the tuners if anyone has suggestions on that

Thank you for your time and for any advice. 🤙

IMG_7280.jpeg

Getting rid of the color change and sheen is not easy. Mahogany changes color when exposed to light, to get it all the same color you would have to sand to bare wood and refinish. I would fill the screw holes with mahogany putty or titebond glue mixed with mahogany dust,clean off the excess before it dries. I wouldn't worry about the color difference , it will even out over time. You could go over the back of the headplate with very fine steel wool (0000) after filling the holes but before mounting the new tuners.

There is a chemical called kalium permanganate which is an oxidiser which will make wood darker. It's difficult to control and should be applied in many weak solutions, with pauses in between to let it work.

You could try at a spot, you know will be covered by the new tuners.

Reactions: Kei
Personally, I would sand some .020” off the back of the headstock and cover it with a pretty veneer. Takes care of both issues.
Brad
How intensive do you think that operation is? And do you have a suggestion on what type of veneer?

I think it’s pretty easy, but I have done it hundreds of times. It is a good idea to try and match another surface of the ukulele like the fretboard or bridge. Woodcraft has all kinds of veneers, they are about.023” thick.

I swapped out the guitar style tuners on my tenor for planetary tuners without doing anything about the screw holes. I never notice them and no one ever sees them. Putting on a veneer will be like opening a new can of worms. Think about fitting it and sanding it and finishing it without interfering with the sides you aren't trying to redo. And trying to fit it to that volute.

Last edited:
I swapped out the guitar style tuners on my tenor for planetary tuners without doing anything about the screw holes.
Trust me, this has occurred to me. And to further that line of thinking - easily reversible by just reinstalling the old tuners if needed. But I do plan to keep this one as it sounds beautiful and looks pretty keen too.

I would fill the screw holes with toothpicks and a touch of super glue.
Then carefully cut them off flush…

Top Bottom