Inlay techniques

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
There is practically next to nothing in the form of a series at YT on using CNC technology for inlaying. I'm slowly putting together an introductory video on the subject. Now before the inlay police jump to the keyboard, this is not for those who aspire to the level of artistry and technique exhibited by the well-known and much-loved (by me especially) luthiers who post here. This is for those like me who struggle with a dremel and jewelers saw and want to do something more than just dot a fretboard. If you are interested please comment. Your responses will determine if I keep this to my FB tribe or make a separate series channel on YT.

DISCLAIMER
If you have strong views on the use of CNC routers in luthiery please keep them to yourself or start another thread on the matter. I'm not looking for advice, or a fight nor am posting to justify my use of this technology. I'm sorry I have to write this disclaimer. I just want to know if there will be any interest from this community in learning a different approach to inlay by one who is artistically and physically challenged.

Thanks, folks. 1st video will be on choosing a machine, the software to run it, and the tooling you will need to execute inlays like this in black, gold and white MOP: And yes, the 'hand-cut' look is simulated on purpose. You will note there is no filler around the border.

Attachments

• Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 85
Going a step further. Is it possible to 3D print the inlays, like combine the CNC and a 3D printer with a digitised design?
There's nothing to stop you but what would be the point? FDM looks rubbish. If you want to do SLA/DLP you might as well just inlay the resin directly. You might as well cut up a sheet of plastic as make an SDS print. There are far nicer sheet materials available for inlay than anything you could 3d print.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... and I'm pretty glad because getting my head around this technology is certainly a challenge enough for me.

I think it's great that you are sharing this. I don't think CNC in inlay detracts from the artistry in any way. The art is in the design and choice of materials. CNC is just a saw. I would love to be able to carry out a vision using CNC but the learning curve is something I have not been able to justify.

Many specialized endeavors have their own language shortcuts and abbreviations. CNC is no different. Those that care will figure out the meanings of the language used and most likely it can not be explained to those of us that don't work with the technology. I would use CNC if it were cost wise and knowledge wise accessible to me, but too late for that! More power to those that can incorporate it in their work.

My machines have paid for themselves over and over again. I am not technical so I think you will find it all very accessible. If you make more than 24 instruments a year, CNC technology will pay for itself in time and accuracy savings within that year. Plus you can do stuff like bespoking the width of your abalone rosette so that it is in proportion with your instrument. I am now making cute pyramid-style bridges... or my machine is.

Attachments

• PB1.0.jpg
    PB1.0.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 40
Pete, I don't make more than 24 instruments a year anymore, so if that is the break even line, I'm on the outs already.Everything seems doable once you know how to do it. First I would have to get a MS computer system and learn how to use it, then a CNC, then find a workspace in my shop that has no extra space, then get and learn programs, then etc., etc.! At 77, it is definitely too late unless i just want to spend my time learning to use a CNC and never make any instruments again. That actually is a bit appealing, but I have a few pieces of wood I still want to use. I'll leave the space age stuff for you guys who like the challenge and my hat is off to you for that!

I certainly value your comments Bill and now I know what you are talking about, yes, gr8 idea if you have that technology. And Bob, it's about time you hung up your bending iron and just lived off the sale of any wood sets you and other stuff you may have - I've seen your stash and given that mastergrade is virtually unobtainable you can ask any price you want :) Also, the footprint of my machine is 16" x 24", my laptop cost me $200 2nd hand and is dedicated to running the machine. A slotted headstock with logo takes just 10 minutes to accurately profile, a pocketed fretboard with inlay pockets cut takes 25 minutes. all while I am doing other things. Fully profiled bracing takes just 2.5 minutes and that little bridge, 10. The latest thing I am looking at is a partial neck carve that just leaves the volute and heel to be carved. But agreed, you are probably just a little to late to the table and if like me you no longer make for a living it would not make sense to spend the money tho I am now making other things... boxes, chess boards etc.

Funny, I started out in the 70's making boxes, cutting boards, mirrors and the like and I'm going out making instruments. We're going in opposite directions. As far as the wood bizz, yes curly koa brings whatever price you want to ask for it. I saw a sliver of wood on eBay today, a 1" x 3" by 20" something and it was $400 bf.! Give me a break. I am so grateful that I was around when wood was still fun. Things are a bit different now at 77, but I still recall there ain't a much better feeling than being down on my knees in the dirt, in the rain, buried in curly koa shavings, behind a big Stihl or Husky saw. Anne and I did plenty of that! The money was really secondary to the experience of finding curly koa and being out in the woods. We had some chances to plant koa too, which was an experience in itself. No illusions though, the wild pigs and cattle got most of those planatings. When we first started cutting we were paying 19 cents a bf for wood we cut from downed trees, and we thought that was a little too much! Back then you could buy milled curly for under $4.00/bf. Always hoping for 1 more good hunt, but times have changed. I'm never selling my saws, just in case! Oh well, it was an amazing time.

Attachments

• bob.jpg
    bob.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 60
1. To Bob's pic above: "Holy Smokes!".
2. I have a hobbyist CNC that I use for cutting small parts and laser engraving. I have used it to cut inlay pockets and then filled them with epoxy resin mixed with sawdust or colored powder. My attempts to fill those pockets with cleanly cut pieces of wood have proved far less satisfying.
3. As a hobbyist builder, I am interested in learning more about making better CNC inlays. I'm retired, so I have adequate time for puttering about and learning something new.

Top Bottom