The Wife Is Out Of Town

cigman1st

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So the wife is out of town and you are killing time on the computer dreaming about a new ukulele. You come across two that are both wonderful and like new, a Martin 5K Tenor new manufacture and a Collings UT-41K. You know there are others you would say are better, cheaper, etc., but you are limited to one of these. The Martin has a wonderful warm sound the Collings has a great sound with a punch. It's a lot of money but if you're going to make the wife mad, do it right the first time. What's your choice?

So the wife is out of town and you are killing time on the computer dreaming about a new ukulele. You come across two that are both wonderful and like new, a Martin 5K Tenor new manufacture and a Collings UT-41K. You know there are others you would say are better, cheaper, etc., but you are limited to one of these. The Martin has a wonderful warm sound the Collings has a great sound with a punch. It's a lot of money but if you're going to make the wife mad, do it right the first time. What's your choice?
Buy both and let her pick which one is hers.

Ask for forgiveness before you purchase; she just might say "yes."

Of course, there may be a string or two (typically with a similar price tag) attached... ;)

Hmm. Perhaps that's why I self-impose a $300 limit. I dunno.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a tough one.
I tend to prefer the Collings sound and feel. And since they are no longer being made, their rarity is a factor. No idea what the 41 in the model number means.
I have been a little disappointed in the Martins. But then I've only played the 1T IZ and not a high-end 5K.
Does it have PegHed tuners as well?
I guess it boils down to which one appeals to you more. Small details make the difference.

Or, you could look at used luthier-made tenors for that much money.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Some will say this others that… all with good reasoning. Which is the one you truly want? Or wait and one will be gone… don’t let both be gone

Here's what I do.

First, tell your wife that you're thinking about buying a new uke for $double_the_price_of_the_uke_you_really_are_buying. She'll complain that you already have too many. You tell her that you're just thinking about it and want to check with her. Buy the uke anyway. When she finds out; she wouldn't care because it is much cheaper than what you've already prepped her for.

You can use the above to buy both ukes. Just space them out by a week's time. It works great with my wife; YMMV.

You know your wife and her temperament. You know where this should fall on the scales of Oh no not again, Dear we can't be spending money like that to being locked out of the house. Or possibly having the most undesirable relative come for a week. For me my MIL is great, My SIL, that would be punishment.

You know your wife and her temperament. You know where this should fall on the scales of Oh no not again, Dear we can't be spending money like that to being locked out of the house. Or possibly having the most undesirable relative come for a week. For me my MIL is great, My SIL, that would be punishment.
My in-laws were terrific. They lived 10,000 miles away!

Actually, my FIL was a great guy & I get along with my SIL fine. My MIL, on the other hand, was the proverbial Dragon Lady. Yikes! 🐉

Top Bottom