Newbie Koaloha Tenor Ukulele

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
??? Who knew Koaloha Tenor Ukuleles are strung with Low G?????

Hi guys,

I just purchased a Factory Second Koaloha Tenor and it looks great!! The only noticeable "defect" is some glue showing by the bridge and it's barely noticeable. I chose Koaloha because of this site!! Never heard of them before but wanted to get the best bang for the buck.

Since I'm new to Ukes, I tuned the first string to a High G since I didn't know that Koaloha Tenors are strung at low G. The string was going out of tune and I'm afraid I stretched it out too much. I had no idea they sold it with the Low G. I don't see any cosmetic damage on the uke. Do I need to buy a new string sinced I stretched it too much?

BTW, Great site!! Trying to learn some basic stuff from Aldrine UU Minutes.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new KoAloha Tenor. I have one and love it. Playing it right now, in fact. I have mine strung re-entrant (High G). Since you are a beginner I will correct you by mentioning that you should refer to the G string (top) as the 4th string with the A string (bottom) being the 1st string. This will eliminate confusion down the road. Low G is preferable to some and a nice alternative for those that have multiple ukes. Re-entrant tuning is the more traditional tuning of the ukulele and lends to the unique nature of the instrument. Try it both ways. I prefer re-entrant tuning, but sometimes like using low G for some songs.

What strings are you using and how did you stretch them out? New strings take time to settle in and hold their tuning, so if you are using strings that are fairly new, be patient and get a decent digital tuner like a Snark tuner.

Good luck and if you are interested in what strings to use, I prefer Worth strings (clear heavy) on my KoAloha.

Welcome to the board. If you have the stock strings on your uke its probably Worth strings. The low g string is very slack so try and tune it down an octave. If you didn't leave it stretched out too long it should be fine. Again, don't worry if it feels too loose. That's the way flourocarbon low g strings are by nature. If you want high G tuning, just call KoAloha and ask them to send you a high G string. I'm sure they would do it without charge.

Thanks for the correction as the 4th fret is the G string. They came with Worth as these are factory strings and I've literally had the Uke for one day! I have a funny story as I originally thought "UKU" was short for Ukulele and my wife, being from Hawaii told me that UKU is lice!!! YIKES!!

Brian from Koaloha was great and I got lucky that he had a Factory Second Tenor. He said they don't make as many tenors. I believe he has one left so call him right away if you are looking for one.

I ordered an IMT500 tuner as it had the most reviews as well as a capo. I hope I don't capo songs because I can't play some of the chords. Anyways, I'm off to practicing.

Gratz on a great uke.

I didn't realize Koaloha tenor came by default with a low g myself. No prob, replaced them with a worth clear high g set and it sparkles clarity...You got a great uke there gratz and even an entire re-string is no biggie...just enjoy,

Chris

P.S. love the 'lice' comment...worth throwing around in a banter or two:p

I have a funny story as I originally thought "UKU" was short for Ukulele and my wife, being from Hawaii told me that UKU is lice!!! YIKES!!

I didn't know that but now that I think about it that makes sense - "ukulele" supposedly translates to "jumping flea"...

John

haha...didn't know that but makes sense OldePhart...does your name mean anything?? :confused: lol

haha...didn't know that but makes sense OldePhart...does your name mean anything?? :confused: lol

I'm not really as old as my avatar picture (I just find funny pictures of old men on the internet and use them) but I started using that monicker online when my cardiologist told me, in all seriousness, that he'd say I had a very good heart if I was a 75 year old man. I was 50 at the time. :)

John

Now that I've played it almost a week, I sorta want the Uke sound with the high G...Tempted to buy a concert Koaloha now!!! Wife will kill me...probably end up just buying new strings.

I love my Koaloha Tenor with the high g...as for the wanting to buy a concert...that is the dreaded UAS, I suffer from it too...Cure anyone lol?

Seriously enjoy,

Chris

I started using my tuner for different notes on the string and noticed my G string notes are sharper than other strings.

As I mentioned before, I didn't know that Koaloha Tenor is with a low G string and I stretched it out to a high G. Does anyone think that is the main issue with the sharp string? I think I stretched the life out of the string. Let me know your thoughts. Mahalo

I started using my tuner for different notes on the string and noticed my G string notes are sharper than other strings.

As I mentioned before, I didn't know that Koaloha Tenor is with a low G string and I stretched it out to a high G. Does anyone think that is the main issue with the sharp string? I think I stretched the life out of the string. Let me know your thoughts. Mahalo

No, I think it's far more likely the uke wasn't actually set up for a low-G string, someone just put one on. Most of the time, when you put a low-g string on a uke you need to widen the nut slot for the G or the much wider string will sit too high. When the string sits too high it will pull quite sharp when fingered at the first few frets. Generally, KoAloha and other high-end ukes come perfectly set up at the nut so there is no intonation issue - but, if someone puts a low-g string on a uke that hasn't been prepped for it, you can expect intonation problems.

Unless you're married to the idea of a Low-G I'd put a high G string on it and rock on. If you want a low-G string you need to adjust that nut slot.

John

I seems like you prefer a high g sound.

I'm not sure where you live, but pick up some Worth Clear CT or Brown BT high g tenor strings.

KoAloha ukuleles are not made specifically for low g/or high g, but as OldePhart said, someone just put them on and didn't widen the nut. So just put high g tenor strings on instead... easy fix.

John

I talked to Koaloha and they make all their tenors with low G. With that said, they are going to send me a new string...great customer service. Thanks guys!!

Now that I've played it almost a week, I sorta want the Uke sound with the high G...Tempted to buy a concert Koaloha now!!! Wife will kill me...probably end up just buying new strings.

And so begins the saga of a new sufferer of UAS

Top Bottom