Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

This is a little piece I wrote around 2 years ago. I was driving home, in a bit of a sad mood, with a light rain falling that was tapering off. When I reached home, the first line of melody came to me, as I was doodling on my reentrant strung guitar. I added the other sections before going to bed. It fits well on the ukulele, too. A very simple Campanella piece, except perhaps for the changes in time signature. Tablature is below.

va

I really like the changes in time signature

Last edited:
No the tension on different brands are differvent. Even 2 brands that package them as medium tension might have different tension. Best to look at the published tension. Generally speaking but not always the case, the thicker the string the higher the tension. D strings vary from 0.028 to 0.033 usually. For shorter scales like soprano a thicker string might be better otherwise it might be too loose. The wound material that they use will affect the tone as well. Brass, copper, silver etc. The Fremont that you use is 0.03 gauge. You can check stringsbymail.com for different string tension across various brands. Different ukes will sound differently with the same strings too. So it’s a matter of finding the perfect pairing to your ears.
Great, thanks. I really should know this stuff, goodness knows I’ve ploughed through enough string threads on here! The research and experimentation part is where I tend to fail when it comes to these things (I guess that’s pretty much the first hurdle 🤣) but I’ll make myself put in the effort, it would be nice to have an alternative to the Fremont.

Great, thanks. I really should know this stuff, goodness knows I’ve ploughed through enough string threads on here! The research and experimentation part is where I tend to fail when it comes to these things (I guess that’s pretty much the first hurdle 🤣) but I’ll make myself put in the effort, it would be nice to have an alternative to the Fremont.
I can highly recommend, among others, the Savarez guitar D string for low G on a ukulele: Savarez HT Classic 544R - 4th string (D) normal tension .0291.

The Thomastik-Infeld wound 4th strings (D strings) for guitar are also nice. They come in varying types of windings and varying diameters, but they're twice to three times the money.

Last edited:
I can highly recommend, among others, the Savarez guitar D string for low G on a ukulele: Savarez HT Classic 544R - 4th string (D) normal tension .0291.

The Thomastik-Infeld wound 4th strings (D strings) for guitar are also nice. They come in varying types of windings and varying diameters, but they're twice to three times the money.
Thanks very much for that link, I might give the Savarez a go next. Sounds like it’s slightly lower tension than the Soloist, but hopefully not enough to matter.

You’ve just reminded me that I had a Thomastik-Infeld low G (not a guitar string - unless they’re essentially the same) on a tenor at one point and I liked it a lot. Clearly I need to stop being so lazy and do some of this dreaded “experimentation” I keep hearing about!

Last edited:
There is a benefit to experimenting, and there is a benefit to going with what one has.

Moderation is hard for me. If one can find balance, experimentation can lead to growth without one becoming too distracted.

Unless the goal is experimenting for its own sake.

I am writing for my own benefit. If it helps others, that’s cool, too!

🙂

There is a benefit to experimenting, and there is a benefit to going with what one has.

Moderation is hard for me. If one can find balance, experimentation can lead to growth without one becoming too distracted.

Unless the goal is experimenting for its own sake.

I am writing for my own benefit. If it helps others, that’s cool, too!

🙂
I’ve never particularly enjoyed fiddling around with my ukes, I know many people do but it’s not for me. I just want to play them! Once I’ve found a set of strings I like I tend to stick them on everything, sometimes they don’t work too well on a particular uke and that probably annoys me much more than it should! (I’m looking at you, Living Waters on my May 😠)

I’ve never particularly enjoyed fiddling around with my ukes, I know many people do but it’s not for me. I just want to play them! Once I’ve found a set of strings I like I tend to stick them on everything, sometimes they don’t work too well on a particular uke and that probably annoys me much more than it should! (I’m looking at you, Living Waters on my May 😠)
Maybe this is why you play them so well… 🙂

I am struggling to 'like' the set of Living Waters I have on my baritone yet once I start playing they sound just fine.

Regarding experimenting where do you start? I know the sound I am looking for but have no idea how to set about finding it.
I am looking for wound G3 and C4 for 51 cm scale that will work with Living Waters trebles or failing that some other trebles.
I don't wish to spend a fortune on string sets or to split string sets.
The Early Music Shop sells lute strings as singles if you know the diameters.
Is there a spread sheet somewhere with string diameters, pitch, octave and scale length?

Reactions: TBB
I am struggling to 'like' the set of Living Waters I have on my baritone yet once I start playing they sound just fine.

Regarding experimenting where do you start? I know the sound I am looking for but have no idea how to set about finding it.
I am looking for wound G3 and C4 for 51 cm scale that will work with Living Waters trebles or failing that some other trebles.
I don't wish to spend a fortune on string sets or to split string sets.
The Early Music Shop sells lute strings as singles if you know the diameters.
Is there a spread sheet somewhere with string diameters, pitch, octave and scale length?
Obviously, being somewhat experimentation-averse, I am entirely the wrong person to answer your question, but I can definitely relate to your dilemma!

There used to be a thread where Dirk from Southcoast Strings shared a lot of information about string gauges and scale length etc., but my cursory search this morning failed to find it. Sadly Dirk died some years ago and Southcoast Strings ceased trading. It might be worth emailing or phoning SUS as a starting point (if you’re in the UK, which for some reason I think you might be?) or TUS if you’re across the pond.

It might be worth reaching out to and even visiting Liam Kirby, he’ll doubtless know of string-sets that work well on his May model. I don’t do expensive instruments, but have found that the assortment of cheaper Ukes that I play respond better to different strings … and then we have acquired taste.

Last edited:
It might be worth reaching out to and even visiting Liam Kirby, he’ll doubtless know of string-sets that work well on his May model. I don’t do expensive instruments, but have found that the assortment of cheaper Ukes that I play respond better to different strings … and then we have acquired taste.
Thanks Graham. Liam uses Christopher Davis-Shannon’s Tin Man strings, which are a little too bright on the May for my taste. I’m currently using Aquila reds, I love the way they sound now they’ve settled in but they made their distracting rustling noise for a looong time, I think I’ll be looking for an alternative when they need replacing.

An addition, @TBB: I've also liked another wound guitar string, the Hannabach PSP 8504HT 4th string (D) High Tension.

Here’s a beautiful duet of a Weiss piece, on baroque lute and mandolino.

the two performers illustrate baroque and renaissance right hand lute technique very well.

just found this today. 🙂

still working on Sauli, and waiting on strings to turn my 1/2 size Yamaha nylon string guitar into a pseudo mandolino to try out some ideas.

@ploverwing

the two performers illustrate baroque and renaissance right hand lute technique very well.

just found this today. 🙂

still working on Sauli, and waiting on strings to turn my 1/2 size Yamaha nylon string guitar into a pseudo mandolino to try out some ideas.

@ploverwing

Wow. That was stunning and yes, great demonstration of right hand technique. The parts where he's got his thumb behind his other fingers is apparently because they kept the same hand shape as using a lute plectrum, I believe (but I could be mis-remembering).

just found this today. 🙂

@ploverwing

That was wonderful, what an exhilarating listen! Thank you for posting it, Tom.

(In other news, I’m going to stop worrying about anchoring my pinky 🤣)

Wow. That was stunning and yes, great demonstration of right hand technique. The parts where he's got his thumb behind his other fingers is apparently because they kept the same hand shape as using a lute plectrum, I believe (but I could be mis-remembering).
Yes, the “thumb under “ technique developed from the plectrum technique.

The thumb out technique supposedly developed from the need to reach all the basses as the number of bass strings expanded. It looks really clear in this video! The mandolino is very much like a small renaissance lute. The baroque lute requires quite the reach to get all the bass notes, while the fingers are doing trebly stuff.

Top Bottom