A critique by the neighbors

Great story! I can see how it might sound like a mandolin thru the walls. One of my best friends, a musician no less, to this day keeps calling my uke a mandolin even though he knows better. "It's pronounced ukulele, Phil," I always tell him. "Oh, right! Ukulele. What'd I say? Mandolin?" This has been going on ever since I took up the uke, going on four years, now. Last week he sends me a link to a video by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, and in his email he writes how I gotta see these people with the mandolins. It even says "Ukulele" right in the the title!

A little story.
I was playing at an event in the street, so I decided to put 20 minutes of playing in and play everything twice and move around a little. Any way I'm playing my heart out and a little voice said, 'I can play the ukulele'. There stood a little elderly man right in front of me. I finished my piece and offered him my ukulele thinking I'd get a rest at least.
He played beautifully for about 3 minutes.
In truth he played better than me and the handed me back my ukulele.
THEY WILL NEVER FIND HIS BODY. (how will they know which skip to look in!)
What did I learn?
1 Never offer your ukulele to any one else.
2 Ignore the crowd.
3 He only played his best.
I checked out what he played and it was good and did have some quick scale work in there, but his best only lasted 3 minutes.

I know you're joking but I think my response would have been "WOW that was pretty cool, thanks." And then start playing again. Old dudes that play the Uke Rule.

hahah.. Thats funny story tho. Her called your songs scales for some reason reminded me of when I asked a woman at work years ago when her baby was due only to find out she wasn't pregnant. Yeah, there was that AWKWARD silence just before we parted ways.. lol..

Never assume a woman is pregnant unless you can see the baby's head.

Ha! I live in national parks & have to practice outside the campervan at night. One night a guy staying 100 yards away heard me and came over. At least he said, "I didn't know a ukulele could sound that way." I'm pretty sure it was a compliment. I hope. Maybe he likes wailing cats.

I know you're joking but I think my response would have been "WOW that was pretty cool, thanks." And then start playing again. Old dudes that play the Uke Rule.

Yes, I think I did mutter "WOW that was pretty cool, thanks" as I tucked him in the skip!!!!!!

Uncle Bobby Tomei plays in my uke group. I love listening to him play.

Mahalo Pueo,
Uncle Bobby is fantastic, love that Hawaiian song..Thanks for sharing..............BO............

Some pretty funny stories on here! I love taking my uke camping... and I've had some mixed reactions to it as well. When I know other people can hear me I try to play and practice on songs that are clearly recognizable. It seems people don't mind as much, and can sometimes serve as a fun ice breaker.

Top Bottom