An unexpected tip to grow strong, long nails

Ebonyks

Reaction score
I'm a fingerpicker who struggled for about a year to develop my nails. They're naturally pretty soft, and the humid caribbean summer has made a bad situation and made it even worse. I've tried nail polishes and couldn't stand them (I found they changed my tone and chipped off quickly). Slide on fingerpicks work, but it's difficult to keep them in place without a few layers of tape, and the whole thing just seemed messy. Pills were excessively expensive. But then, the perfect solution showed itself.

Protien powder. In my case, a pure whey isolate, made all the difference in the world.

Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. Nails are made out of protiens like fibrogen, and a high intake of protien would only logically make them grow faster and harder. I found that in a few weeks, my nails grew harder and could stand up to harsh playing (even nail tremelo techiques!). An extra 25g's of protien a day (one scoop) was just what i needed.

The best price i've found so far (locally or online) was at http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-gauge-whey-protein-isolate.html. I have no invested interest in that company, but i'll say that after hours of looking that was the best deal i could find, and that cinnamon bun powder is surprisingly tasty. I'm lactose intolerant, and i can still use that powder because it's an isloate instead of a concentrate. Body builders also prefer isolates, but i'd imagine for this purpose if concentrate is what you can find locally, it should work the same.

I'd like to hear from the UU'ers who have tried this to see if it makes any difference for them too.

Actually drowning your body with proteins will not guarantee stronger nails, as the human body can only absorb a certain amount of protein per day. The reason that bodybuilders have such a high intake of proteins is to make sure that there is always protein to be absorbed in the stomach. (Or at least what I've been taught). While a deficiency in proteins may cause weaker nails, I doubt protein shakes will give you nails of steel.

For example, no amount of protein shakes will give you tougher hair, which is also made of proteins.

Well of course I have to attribute my own diet to this problem. If someone naturally has a high protien intake (Let's practically say 50-75g a day), adding additional protien isn't going to do much.

However, for someone like myself who eats a relatively low protien diet, supplementing will make a difference. It's one of those YMMV type tips, but it made an undeniable difference in my situation.

Sounds like if it's working for you then you've got a good thing going. I have a higher protein diet and would like stronger nails but more protein prob won't help me.

What's YMMV?

YMMV means your millage may vary. For me it made a huge difference, but for many people, i suspect it will not help much.

They're naturally pretty soft, and the humid caribbean summer has made a bad situation and made it even worse.

Where in the Caribbean are you?

I was living in Puerto Rico finishing up my undergrad, but I moved back to the states a little over a week ago now.

We're based in St. Thomas, but spend a big chunk of hurricane season in Fajardo every year.

PR is especially hard on my nails, but that's from working so hard in the boatyard sanding, painting, etc. :D

I was at a guitar workshop and the instructor was an amazing finger picking guitarist. One of the questions was about growing the fingernails and making them harder. He stated he has tried all protein drinks, vitamins, nail conditioners etc. The best thing that has worked for him are the fake nails that are applied over your own nail. He even stated that he had tried just about every type and the fake nails that worked the best he got from the dollar store!!! He said those nails were the hardest nails and lasted on steel and nylon strings.

I've never heared of proteine doing anything for your nails. And if it does, the average person probably gets enough proteine from their everyday diet.

A lot of people have told me that vitamine B8 (also known as vitamine H) makes your hair and nails grow. There are (in Belgium atleast) vitamine tablets specially made for your hair and nails, not that I've ever tried them. I just did some research and it's found in cauliflower, certain nuts, chocolate, eggs, milk, soyproducts and liver (yum). But you definitely shouldn't eat raw egg.
And apparently they put some in Aquarius.

CA glue does wonders, but you don't eat it, just smear it all over your nails.

I keep my nails short -- no messing around.

Last edited:
I'm starting to buy the gelatin thing too! I've been taking flaxseed oil religiously lately, which is in a gelatin capsule, and I have started wondering if even that amount of gelatin might be helping my nails.

As the man said- ingesting more protein won't make a difference unless you already have a deficiency. Some women drink gelatin to strengthen their nails. Don't think it does much good.

Flamenco guitarists traditionally rub their fingernails olive oil, using a small piece of wool. This can help dry, brittle nails.

When I studied classical guitar many years ago, the hot tip was Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails clear fingernail polish. I sometimes do this now to strengthen a nail for clawhammer banjo.

I've heard people use super glue on their nails, some think acryllic nail hardener would do the trick!

Top Bottom