Any recommendations on a 5 string tenor?

bunnyo

Reaction score
I'll be looking for a Thanksgiving 🦃/Christmas 🎄 new uke and I'm curious about 5 string tenors. Does anybody have any experience with them? Know some good brands? Good woods?

Uas is real, lol

I'm horrified that the Aklot has an adjustable truss rod and decent reviews. I MUST stop........
I believe Kmise makes Aklot, which encompasses a lot of different instruments. The Aklot saxophone gets good reviews as does the harp and kalima. I have an Aklot concert uke and it is rock solid. Action is a bit high but it was well worth the $60.

I have the Ohana 5 string in Tenor and Concert. I also have the Kala. The G strings on the Kala are low g, high g. The Ohana had high g, low g. I haven't played these lately but plan to do so. Both these É“rands are reasonably priced

No affiliation, but in case it's helpful, I noticed that Cocobolo has one on sale now (outside their normal lottery).

And they are highly regarded by some on the forum as punching significantly above their weight. E.g.

Good luck with your search! Seems like a great Thanksgiving / Christmas present!

I had my name chosen for one of Cocobolo Ukes redesigned 5-string super tenors (larger body as well as scale length) in the last lottery. It makes my Opio concert feel like a bit of a toy.

My immediate impression on picking it up was that this was an Instrument (capital 'i' intended) and it plays very favorably compared to the Opio even with my fumbling fingers. No quirks found yet, though I am sure there are some. I am very tempted to continue collecting more of that family as it feels that they are priced very reasonably.

So, highly recommend a 5 string Cocobolo Ukes tenor.

I had my name chosen for one of Cocobolo Ukes redesigned 5-string super tenors (larger body as well as scale length) in the last lottery. It makes my Opio concert feel like a bit of a toy.

My immediate impression on picking it up was that this was an Instrument (capital 'i' intended) and it plays very favorably compared to the Opio even with my fumbling fingers. No quirks found yet, though I am sure there are some. I am very tempted to continue collecting more of that family as it feels that they are priced very reasonably.

So, highly recommend a 5 string Cocobolo Ukes tenor.
I was about to recommend one of these. It would be really hard to find a better uke with a similar price than a Cocobolo.

They actually still have one of those 5-string super tenors at their store: https://cocoboloukulelesnicaragua.square.site/
If you're not up for a super tenor you can join their mailing list and participate in the lottery. They make regular 5-string tenors quite often.

Top Bottom