Strings Baritone Strings

Reddak98

Reaction score
I have two Baritone ukuleles that are tuned DGBE and I want to tune one of them to gCEA. One of them has X bracing and one has ladder bracing. Given the bracing issue which one would you folks reccomend I put the gCEA strings on so it doesn't cause any structural issues? Thanks to all for your help.

Theoretically the X brace should resist tension better. But it depends on alot of factors concerning the over all build of the instrument

Fan and ladder bracing are commonly used for steel string guitars with pin bridges following Vienna style of lutherie, whereas lower tension classical guitars use v and related bracing. For steel string guitars the X is supposed to provide better stability but many people feel that ladder bracing may sound better. For a uke tension is not a big issue for structure as strings can stretch a long way. I assume you want to tune an octave lower than soprano so you will need thick strings for comfortable playing.

Bracing should make no difference. You'll want to choose strings to match the scale length. Did you mean reentrant C tuning like a soprano? If so, you'd want that high A (and even the G) string to be very, very thin.

I think the octave-down suggestion as @merlin666 mentioned would work a lot better, but you'll still have to think about string selection to keep them in a normal tension range

I guess you've already experimented with a capo on the 5th fret of your dgbe bari.....it's a poor man's tenor.

Aquila and some other brands make a GCEA set for baritone ukulele.
Alternatively, you can get a light tension classical guitar set and use the DGBE strings to tune up to GCEA (low G).

However, in my experience I find that octave GCEA (one whole octave lower) works better on Baritone ukuleles.
There is a string set by Guadalupe that does this:
Or you can use the EADG strings from a classical guitar set.

Top Bottom