Barron River ukuleles

This is outstanding! Can't wait to hear more about it when you get it and bond with it.
Pretty super happy with it! The blocked fret markets have reclaimed giant Sequoia, which has a special meaning to me. It is on its way soon, and I am back in the US in a week, so, I should have it soon after I get back!!!!

Last edited:
Pretty super happy with it! The blocked fret markets have reclaimed giant Sequoia, which has a special meaning to me. It is on its way soon, and I am back in the US in a week, so, I should have it soon after I get back!!!!
It looks lovely. Definitely something to look forward to once you're back in the US. Can't wait to hear what you think once you've had a chance to play it. Enjoy it!

Does anyone off-hand know what the charge is for converting from $US to $AUS?
I need to factor that into the cost if I'm going to have a build.

And: Do you pay via PayPal? If so, I'll need to factor that into the cost too, with the added fees.

Can you tell that I have basically no experience ordering things from outside the US? LOL.

Every Aus dollar is around .69 cents USD. It changes daily though and PP will convert it but there is a small fee I think. I hope that helps a little.

Oops, I wasn’t clear about what I meant. I realize that I can goggle to find out what one $US is compared to $AUS. But there is a fee when I pay in US dollars & it gets converted to AUS dollars. Any ideas how much that fee is?

And for those of you who paid for Barron River ukulele builds, was payment done through PayPal, & how much do the PayPal fees add on? I maybe can find that somewhere, but if someone happens to know off-hand, that would be easier. It’s a certain percent of the purchase price, right? I don’t think that the seller will be taking care of the fees in this case, but those of you who have had a build done would know for sure.

Oops, I wasn’t clear about what I meant. I realize that I can goggle to find out what one $US is compared to $AUS. But there is a fee when I pay in US dollars & it gets converted to AUS dollars. Any ideas how much that fee is?

And for those of you who paid for Barron River ukulele builds, was payment done through PayPal, & how much do the PayPal fees add on? I maybe can find that somewhere, but if someone happens to know off-hand, that would be easier. It’s a certain percent of the purchase price, right? I don’t think that the seller will be taking care of the fees in this case, but those of you who have had a build done would know for sure.
The easiest calculation is to go into Paypal and put the AUD amount in (in a dummy transaction where you do NOT hit send). Then it will show how much you will pay in USD without additional fees for conversion.

Allen at BR accepts Paypal as a F & F transaction and he pays the fee (oops... see edit below). This includes a hard case and shipping. I have opted to pay an additional 3% for PP G & S so that we are both covered if the shipping goes awry and for peace of mind. It also offloads the PP fees for him which I consider equitable because the product is wonderful and paying in AUD seems like such a bargain.

Edit: With F&F, a fee is added to your payment (Allen does not absorb it). With G&S, he would pay the fee, so instead you add the percentage to his invoice and both receive the PP protections.

Last edited:
He makes a great looking instrument. I love that they always have such great style, yet are still somewhat tasteful and understated. While they look somewhat unique, they still look very classic.

He makes a great looking instrument. I love that they always have such great style, yet are still somewhat tasteful and understated. While they look somewhat unique, they still look very classic.
This is what I love about my soon-to-be uke. Given that it is Blackwood, which is a relative of Koa, and the simple and low contrast rosette, it actually reminds me of a very modern update of a Gold Label Kamaka. I also love the tone of Koa, so I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

The easiest calculation is to go into Paypal and put the AUD amount in (in a dummy transaction where you do NOT hit send). Then it will show how much you will pay in USD without additional fees for conversion.

Allen at BR accepts Paypal as a F & F transaction and he pays the fee. This includes a hard case and shipping. I have opted to pay an additional 3% for PP G & S so that we are both covered if the shipping goes awry and for peace of mind. It also offloads the PP fees for him which I consider equitable because the product is wonderful and paying in AUD seems like such a bargain.
Thanks.

PayPal always confuses me. I seem to end up paying the fees whether I use G&S or F&F, which means I'm confused about what I'm doing, because I wouldn't be paying fees either way. But I did think that I pay fees for F&F and not for G&S in general. Allen said if I used G&S, he'd charge me a 3.6% added fee, so I get the fees either way for that. Fair enough.

I guess that I just answered most of my questions. LOL. I need to add 3.6% on to the estimate, plus a bit more for converting the $ from US to AUS.

Start of the year, trying to figure out budget for the year, and confused about PayPal and foreign currency. I hate math. LOL.

Top Bottom