Been playing a lot of baritone uke lately

Good evening Ian et al,

Hardly know what to say here. The linear key of G is DGBE – GCEA is key of C. I probably should have used the word “heavy” instead of “thick” in referring to the strings. Just the same, whatever strings that are tuned to key of G on a 26” scale (guitar) can’t be tuned to the same key on a scale of 20” (baritone uke).

I think you have the feeling that somehow I was attacking the Baritone Uke. Just the opposite – I am trying to give it a new life. My “source” for the marketing strategy for the Baritone is admittedly somewhat faded memories. The Baritone is about the same age as I am, but it was Arthur Godfrey who convinced me (on early TV) to convince my Dad to get me one – a Harmony. The phrase “every boy should have one” also remains clear, and I was not the only boy in the neighborhood who persuaded his Dad.

I moved onto guitar, then gave up music altogether for awhile. I had moved to Central America, and started seeing a lot of Calypso bands playing Cuatros – somewhat like a Baritone. That got me back into music again, and the first instrument I picked up was another baritone – a Giannini – one of the best instruments I have ever owned.

Curiosity moved me to get a Tenor Guitar (actually several), and immediately I realized the limitations of a Baritone in “guitar” or as they say in the tenor guitar world “Chicago” tuning. I started looking for a way to produce a Tenor Parlour Guitar for classical strings (the old ones are steel strung) and at the same time, I also started looking for new tunings for my beloved Giannini.

These were really most of the genesis of Southcoast Ukes. We succeeded way beyond my expectations. I know there aren’t any other “big giant ukes” around like our Cuatro or Tenor Guitar, but trust me a little bit – in key of G they are just much better performers than a baritone.

What you can do, however, is try a Baritone in linear C tuning – and without wound strings. We make a set for this (and think it’s best), but I am sure there are other ways to do it. This is not to say you shouldn’t enjoy a guitar-tuned baritone. I like to play our long-neck concerts tuned down to key of A. I just like the sound, even though I know it’s not the set-up that shows off the instruments’ full potential.

Remember that the tenor uke was reviled for years as a corporate gimmick. Finally when players found tunings other than the high re-entrant G it was originally marketed with (another guitar based tuning – get the picture?), it began to lose its negative image and gain in popularity. I just think that a similar switch could do the same for the poor, ignored Baritone. Think it’s better in linear C than the Tenor Uke!

Last edited:
Yeah Southcoast, I bought a set of your linears for my Bari, but have been lazy and have not put them on yet. I need to get it done and see if they live up to your High praise for them. I expect they will. If they sound any better than the Aquilas I currently have on it I will be blown away. I will post a thread in a week or so to give my opinion, or would you rather hear it first :) :) Thanks Lozark p s of course remember I am putting them on an inexpensive MK-B, so it will not probably be a fair test for them!!

Hello Lozark,

I was looking through the orders (just to see how lazy you really are!), and unless you ordered with two different e-mails, the only order I found was for a combo pack of Medium & Heavy Gauge strings. These are for high re-entrant tuning. Depending on how you like your tension, they'll set up between B flat- A for the Medium Gauge and G for the Heavy gauge. These are nice high re-entrant tunings for a Baritone, but won't give you the low 4th.

Do you have a linear set under a secret identity (or did I lose your order e-mail)?

No I have the linears. Put them on this morning. I did buy the combo pack but also recently bought the linears. The linears I put on this morning did tune to low 4th and sound very nice. I really do like the clearness of the chords and picking. But they are still settling and will probably be a few days for they settle down. They have a good feel on the fingers as well. Thanks
Lozark Oh yes, I ordered under same name, address, etc as the combo set.

Last edited:
Hey lozark,

Found the order - not that old and I hadn't "filed" it yet. I'm glad you like the strings.

If I'm not mistaken, we have the only low 4th - key of C set for the 20" (standard baritone) scale. The others I know of try to formulate it for the 17" (standard tenor) scale. The 4th string just doesn't work well there; to get good tension, it's too thick for good response - to get good response it's too thin for good tension. That's why people usually resort to the wound 4th with a Tenor, and then struggle with all the problems that come with a single wound set-up.

By just moving the linear C tuning linear to the 20" scale, the string that was too loose on the 17" scale now gives perfect tension. You don't have to worry about the overtones, imbalanced volume and horrible transition that come with a single wound set-up. Finally, the volume of the Baritone body is better suited to low C than a Tenor.

That's the point I was trying to get to with this thread. Not that you shouldn't play the Baritone as it was first promoted. Just that for all you folks playing a low 4th C tuning on the Tenor: stop fighting that battle and see how sweet life can be when you move that tuning up to the Baritone!

Lozark said it best:

"recently I retuned my Bari to GCEA low g, and wow, I love it. Not that I don't really love my tenors, but I find that I am picking up my Bari more and more. Something about the slightly fuller, deeper sound, but still Ukey. I also, for me, find it a bit easier to fret and pick. Anyway, something in the ukes for everyone. Lozark"

Top Bottom