Strings Best strings for Kanile'a K-1T

revdocjim

Reaction score
With this instrument scheduled to arrive in a few days, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about strings. What have folks tried? What have you liked? If I could narrow things down a bit it will make experimenting easier (and cheaper). :)

Mine have the stock strings with a wound low G. I'm not sure the brand though as it was installed by Aloha City Ukes. My favorite strings in most cases are worth brown. I like them a bit better than the clears as they are a bit darker sounding. I've tried Martin fluorocarbon strings but don't care for them as they are too bright.

Mine have the stock strings with a wound low G. I'm not sure the brand though as it was installed by Aloha City Ukes. My favorite strings in most cases are worth brown. I like them a bit better than the clears as they are a bit darker sounding. I've tried Martin fluorocarbon strings but don't care for them as they are too bright.
While not having used all that many different types of strings, I also like the Worth Browns, but was wondering if the clears might be a better match for Kanile'a, given their tendency to have a slightly darker or warmer sound...

While not having used all that many different types of strings, I also like the Worth Browns, but was wondering if the clears might be a better match for Kanile'a, given their tendency to have a slightly darker or warmer sound...
That's an interesting thought. The strings that came on mine were clear fluorocarbons. Looking at their website it looks like theirs are made by D'Addario.

I had the clears on my Singer but they were way too bright. That Uke is a spruce top with a gloss finish so it's probably not the best comparison. Spruce can really project. Koa is warmer sounding and not as loud or bright.

My understanding is that newer Kanileas come with Worth clear fluorocarbon strings. Those are fine strings if you like a bright sound and responsive feel. If you prefer a more mellow sound and feel, I would go with clear nylon strings like D'addario Pro-Arte. I also like the Aquila AGxAQ strings that kind of have the feel of nylon strings but the sound of fluorocarbon strings.

I recently bought a 2022 model from a UU member and was told they were the “factory” strings, but I think they had been replaced at least once. She said she only used the Kanile’a strings and I don’t know what they are but they’re clear fluorocarbons…and sound great. But I’ve read so much on this forum about the Living Waters, that I’ve already bought a set for the Kanile’a and an Ohana soprano that needs a new sound. Let us know what you end up with.

My understanding is that newer Kanileas come with Worth clear fluorocarbon strings. Those are fine strings if you like a bright sound and responsive feel. If you prefer a more mellow sound and feel, I would go with clear nylon strings like D'addario Pro-Arte. I also like the Aquila AGxAQ strings that kind of have the feel of nylon strings but the sound of fluorocarbon strings.
I have no idea Kanile’a changed, but my strings are more on the mellow side, almost harp like. I guess they could be Worth clears since I’ve only used Worth Browns and these are much more mellow than the browns. I’d really like to know what they are.

The starting point should be to identify the strings that are on it. Then what is your impression of the strings: too bright, too mellow, or just right?

This will take into account some subjectivity of what you like/dislike. For example, I play concert with flurocarbon and like the bright sound. This will differ from someone who likes a mahogany tenor with a mellow sound. What do you like?

I have no idea Kanile’a changed, but my strings are more on the mellow side, almost harp like. I guess they could be Worth clears since I’ve only used Worth Browns and these are much more mellow than the browns. I’d really like to know what they are.
The Kanile'a website sells "Kanile’a X Worth | 4-String High G (Standard) ‘Ukulele Set for Super Concert, Tenor, and Super Tenor ‘Ukuleles". Of course, Worth makes clear fluorocarbon strings in different tensions. I do not know what tensions Kanile'a is using.

Are you wanting high g or low?

The Kanile'a website sells "Kanile’a X Worth | 4-String High G (Standard) ‘Ukulele Set for Super Concert, Tenor, and Super Tenor ‘Ukuleles". Of course, Worth makes clear fluorocarbon strings in different tensions. I do not know what tensions Kanile'a is using.

And of course mine are low G for a Tenor. Go figure. Interesting thread anyway. Whatever mine are, I like them lol....that's gotta count for something.

Thanks for all the good replies. After posting I went on the Kanile'a website and saw that they are selling those "Kanile'a Worth" strings. I've sent the seller a note asking what's on it now, but haven't heard back yet.
I'm not sure about high/low G. I prefer low G but my Pono and HF-2 are already low. I sort of like the idea of having one of each. I'll just have to get to know the uke a bit before making that decision.
I want something that brings out the rich, multi-layered voice that Kanile'a is known for, and I like good sustain. Right now my Pono and HF-2 have Worth Browns and a Uke Logic gold low G. I've been very happy with that combo, but didn't want to assume it was best for the Kanile'a.

The seller wasn't sure, but thought they were D'Addario flourocarbons. From the photos they appear to be clear. It should arrive tomorrow so I'm getting excited to check it out!

I guess mine either had the older strings or the seller swapped them out with something else, because these listed here have a wound Low g and mine are all clear flurocarbon. But thanks for the effort. The only reason I care is because I like them and would like to use them again. Maybe I can send Kanile'a a serial number and they'll tell me what kind of strings were on it when it was sold. I haven't exactly spoiled myself yet with all the nice reputable makers lol. But last night I replaced a set of Martin's on an Ohana mahogany long neck soprano with a set of the Living Waters and those mellowed out that uke a lot. So I do have a Plan B

Thanks for all the good replies. After posting I went on the Kanile'a website and saw that they are selling those "Kanile'a Worth" strings. I've sent the seller a note asking what's on it now, but haven't heard back yet.
I'm not sure about high/low G. I prefer low G but my Pono and HF-2 are already low. I sort of like the idea of having one of each. I'll just have to get to know the uke a bit before making that decision.
I want something that brings out the rich, multi-layered voice that Kanile'a is known for, and I like good sustain. Right now my Pono and HF-2 have Worth Browns and a Uke Logic gold low G. I've been very happy with that combo, but didn't want to assume it was best for the Kanile'a.
Switch one of the others to high G. Go low with the Kanile’a.

I’ve had La Bella Pepe Romero strings, Worth Browns, and now Fremont Blackline on my KSR. Probably liked the Worth Browns best (low G all flouro). The Fremonts started well but now are sounding thin.

Top Bottom