Distance from zero fret slot to nut?

Coast_Ukulele

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha all. i started doing zero frets on my ‘ukes and really like it so far. i have been just eyeballing the distance from the zero fret slot to where the nut gets cut. but, i was wondering if there was any ideal distance? looking at pictures of zero frets online seems like there is some wiggle room on this, but thought i would check in.

mahalo!
Kawai @ Coast ‘Ukulele

A standard type of nut performs three main functions. It determines one end of the scale length, it sets the height of the strings at that end, it fixes the spacing from string to string. A zero fret will set the scale length and the string height, so the nut becomes simply a string spacer.

I set the nut as close to the zero fret as is practicable. In my view there is no ideal distance, it just makes sense to keep it as short as you can. In fact, you can do without a nut altogether if you find some other way to space the strings and I have done that with a couple of ukes.

Last edited:
GoldTone's zeroglide retrofit fits the zero-fret and spacers in the space of the original nut.

zg-diagram.png

GoldTone's zeroglide retrofit fits the zero-fret and spacers in the space of the original nut.

zg-diagram.png
That looks like a good solution. Maybe the old knock against zero frets is a thing of the past because they were associated with cheaper guitars. I can see the advantages for sure... Unfortunately they don't over one for 4 stringed instruments.

Unfortunately they don't over one for 4 stringed instruments.
They have both pre-slotted 35.9mm and 38mm slot-em-yourself versions:

I used zero frets on the first few ukes I made. (They had gourd bodies.) To my eye, two-thirds of the nut size looks good for the space. So with a 3/16" nut, a 1/8" gap between it and the zero fret.

It is a visual design element and should be artfully placed, in my opinion. Not appearing as an afterthought.

This one seems right to me2022-07-06_07-45-35.jpg

Last edited:
I used zero frets on the first few ukes I made. (They had gourd bodies.) To my eye, two-thirds of the nut size looks good for the space. So with a 3/16" nut, a 1/8" gap between it and the zero fret.

It is a visual design element and should be artfully placed, in my opinion. Not appearing as an afterthought.

This one seems right to meView attachment 141626

thanks, i like the intention you use for the placement. you mentioned you used zero frets on the first few ukes, any thoughts to share on why you stopped?

thanks, i like the intention you use for the placement. you mentioned you used zero frets on the first few ukes, any thoughts to share on why you stopped?
I prefer the look of the traditional nut on the ukues I make. I am making an electric guitar, which will have a zero fret.

Top Bottom