Don't send your parcel with Evri...

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, I sold a ukulele last week on ebay. It was a tenor Makala that just hadn't been getting any love from me so I thought I should find a more welcoming home for it. And someone bought it, hooray! But then it got destroyed by Evri on the way to its new home. I should really have known better than to send a thing via the company that's consistently felt to be the UK's most disliked, but, well, the parcel shop is conveniently close to where I live and I don't have a car and it's hard to guarantee to be in to get it collected, so...

Anyway. I still don't know what happened to it, and after several days I'm still having enormous difficulty actually finding a human to talk to so that I can make a claim, having insured the contents of the parcel...

And, while I may not ever get compensated, I can get the next best thing, which is revenge in the form of a song. Not being Tom Paxton (who wrote a song about a guitar being destroyed) I don't think anyone will ever hear this, but I might as well still share it with the audience here! Also, I feel like the song is giving valuable advice to those of you in the UK who might make the same mistake I did...

No insurance?
Fully insured for the amount the buyer paid for it. They just don't make it easy to claim. As far as I can tell, I have to send photos, which is hard to do while they still have the thing. Also hard to sort out when they don't give a phone number and you can only interact via chat bots who cut you off when they've decided they've had enough of you. I am persistent though.

So, I sold a ukulele last week on ebay. It was a tenor Makala that just hadn't been getting any love from me so I thought I should find a more welcoming home for it. And someone bought it, hooray! But then it got destroyed by Evri on the way to its new home. I should really have known better than to send a thing via the company that's consistently felt to be the UK's most disliked, but, well, the parcel shop is conveniently close to where I live and I don't have a car and it's hard to guarantee to be in to get it collected, so...

Anyway. I still don't know what happened to it, and after several days I'm still having enormous difficulty actually finding a human to talk to so that I can make a claim, having insured the contents of the parcel...

And, while I may not ever get compensated, I can get the next best thing, which is revenge in the form of a song. Not being Tom Paxton (who wrote a song about a guitar being destroyed) I don't think anyone will ever hear this, but I might as well still share it with the audience here! Also, I feel like the song is giving valuable advice to those of you in the UK who might make the same mistake I did...

reddit talk to a person at evri Lots of people on reddit with the same problem. Here's a possible bit of help, the post has some info regarding how to work through their chatbots .

how to speak to evri humanA youtube video of dealing with EVRI

Songs about destroyed ukes/guitars abound, unfortunately.

Best of luck with Evri!

When they were Hermes I used to call them Herpes as they lost a banjo , then to add insult to injury when they found it they returned it to me and then I lost the sale completely. A mandolin, exactly the same thing and equally almost impossible to contact. I loathe the electronic age because it is designed to do one thing. Make maximum profit for the owners of "services" and provide the most basic of service levels and pull up the drawbridge when it goes wrong. Herpes / Evri the worst of couriers.

Last edited:
I loathe the electronic age because it is designed to do one thing. Make maximum profit for the owners of "services" and provide the most basic of service levels and pull up the drawbridge when it goes wrong.
So right! Ninety-nine percent of the so-called “convenience” is on the side of the corporation and screws the consumer. Now I can’t even call my BANK and get a real person anymore.

So right! Ninety-nine percent of the so-called “convenience” is on the side of the corporation and screws the consumer. Now I can’t even call my BANK and get a real person anymore.
I purchased a ukulele online and my online bank put a fraud alert on my account- went for days without access to my funds because of it. It took days further to contact a human and remove the fraud alert...I have a new bank.

I bought something online and had it shipped to my hotel in London. The shop I bought from used Evri. The parcel was not delivered and each day (3 days in a row) the reason given was that no one was home! 😂. I find it hard to believe that the hotel had no one in the lobby as it is a big establishment with easily 5 or more staff at the front desk and concierge at any point in time. Whilst all the other delivery companies had no problems delivering their items.

Well, to end this sad tale on a positive note, they have agreed to pay the compensation for the cost of the uke. Not entirely positive, because I never did find out what happened to the uke. I'm imagining it was squashed by a lorry at one of their depots... still, next time I'm going to use a courier that at least has a phone number!

I'd add, check the "excluded from compensation" list for Evri, it includes pretty much every kind of object that is likely be damaged, rendering their service practically worthless. I've found ParcelForce to be the only courier that will cover musical instruments.

Side note - what great sound sample for the Kala 8 string bari here. So many of the sound samples available don't actually give a representation of how your average player would use it, but here it is being strummed accompanying some vocals, sounding great.

Side note - what great sound sample for the Kala 8 string bari here. So many of the sound samples available don't actually give a representation of how your average player would use it, but here it is being strummed accompanying some vocals, sounding great.
Thanks! They are great fun, and I reckon they sound best strummed like this just as a basic accompaniment. I partly say that because it's all I know how to do, but I believe it anyway :).

I agree about the sound samples though. They rarely sound like the things most of us play...

I should really have known better than to send a thing via the company that's consistently felt to be the UK's most disliked. Next time I will give preference to TimeSavingMachine for sure.
A number of my fellow musicians also had some bad experience with Evri so the fact that they have so many dislikes is, well, justified. if you insured the contents of the parcel I greatly doubt that Evri will avoid compensating you 🤞

Last edited:
Top Bottom