Finally got one done - Blue Frog Soprano number something or other

Vic D

Reaction score
Another one with the neck a little off. I meant to put the 8th inch guide in my neck aligning jig before I did any more but didn't and that's the breaks. I'll get to fixing that in the next day or so. What else... hmmm... oh yeah, I used zebrawood for the peace sign and there's not enough contrast... And the heel lol, is real tall and bullet shaped and as I was carving the neck I thought, "well that's what it wants to be and that's what it's gonna be." I kinda like it. No pic of the heel yet as my camera batteries are about to die, of course. Now the good... it sounds great, nice and loud and warm. Is it bad that you can see sunlight through my ukes?
It hasn't been wet sanded and buffed yet and those are set up strings.. waiting for the Aquilas to arrive in the mail and can't wait to hear it with them on. I've started masking off the bridge area now instead of scraping the area after painting. Poplar, spruce, walnut and Honduras rosewood.

View attachment 24812View attachment 24813

Oh and the coolest thing happened recently, someone bought my first uke, StewMac soprano, and wanted a star inlay. Well, a star is simple enough... I thought. Well, my printer doesn't do linux and I burned up a mobo on my Winduhs box so I had to draw it up by hand, and my 360 protractor has lost itself and was replaced somehow with a 180 Crayola type protractor missing some kind of little round piece in the center, but I threw it together and I think it came out pretty decent.

View attachment 24814

Last edited:
Lookin good Vic. Nice job on the inlay. I really like the way you did the end of the fingerboard. Give us a sound bite. And yeah it sure is cool when you sell your first one.

Last edited:
Thanks Philstix! I do like the fingerboard and headstock design too... it's blue froggish and it's a keeper. Right on, I'm gonna make a video probably tommorow morning after I polish it up.

beautifully done vic. im lovin the headstock inlay and the choice of woods for the soundboard and fretboard. the two compliment each other very well.

Thanks Philstix! I do like the fingerboard and headstock design too... it's blue froggish and it's a keeper. Right on, I'm gonna make a video probably tommorow morning after I polish it up.

It's beautiful, Vic. I like everything about it - totally agree on fingerboard and headstock.

beautifully done vic. im lovin the headstock inlay and the choice of woods for the soundboard and fretboard. the two compliment each other very well.

+1 on that. :music: And I also really like the way you matched the tone and grain of the sides and neck/heel.

Say now, when the apprentices graduate to masters, what will become of the masters.....

Thanks everyone! Taking a couple of days off to read and contemplate. Then back at it!
Waiting for bowed psaltery plans to arrive in the mail :) Then a hammered dulcimer is high on the list.

Last edited:
Never make excuses, only give explanations, and only if someone asks unless you're selling one. Then full disclosure if whatever it is really affects playability or probable longevity.

If all the early Hawaiian uke builders pointed out all the flaws, there would be half the number of vintage ukes because they'd have spent as much time talking about the ukes as building them...

Then a hammered dulcimer is high on the list.

Nicely done, Vic. Your inlay is looking especially good and clean.
Good luck on the hammered dulcimer. I built one a few years back and loved the process, but I found it much more difficult to find builders willing to share ideas and design tips. Stringing the darned thing was nearly as challenging as the build. I'll never complain about stringing a uke or guitar again.

@Rick, Thanks for the great advice, it's true and a few others have said the same. I'm gonna work on it.
@Ken, thanks for the compliment.. I do enjoy doing inlay. When I get the hammered dulcimer plans and supplies I'll know who to bug the heck out of with silly questions :)

Re: the inlay - what material is the peace sign made of? The dove looks like MOP and the peace sign looks like wood.

Re: the dulcimer - Charlie Alm's book was very helpful when I was building mine. Back then there wasn't much available on the web or in musical instrument making forums. I have a copy of the book if you want to borrow it.

Thank you so much Ukegirl!
Ken, I'm definitely gonna take you up on that.. the inlay is MOP dove and zebrawood peace.

Top Bottom