Greetings from the Arizona desert!

almann

Reaction score
Thanks for having me here . Looking forward to learning some things about this great little instrument . I've been playing the guitar for decades . My daughter asked me to buy her a ukulele a few years back and I ordered a Kala Soprano for her . A few days after the Kala arrived , I picked it up and started strumming . I had my own shortly after . Playing guitar for most of my life (I'm 62) made picking up the ukulele a smooth transition . A have a few Tenors now and play fairly often . Guitar is still my instrument of choice but the ukulele is picking up momentum .

Welcome, @almann. You’ll learn lots of stuff here and meet some really nice people. Be sure to read up on humidification (If you haven’t already). Might be a concern in the Arizona desert. Don’t let your ukes dry out.

Welcome! Come on in out of the heat and sit for a spell.

I lived in the Phoenix area for years before moving up to the NW. We loved the winters there. Nuff said.

At least you don't have to worry with mud slides or snow storms. Welcome aboard.

Being a New Mexican, I avoid Phoenix like the plague because of the traffic. I usually cut across the desert at Prescott or Lake Pleasant to get west of Phoenix.

However the bigger question is humidification. In the winter months, I humidify my ukes so that they are at approximately 40% relative humidity. And during the summer when we utilize the swamp cooler I don't humidiy since the environment is usually moist enough to keep my ukes at the same relative humidity. I find if I humidify in the summer, the ukes get up to 60% which is too moist for my tastes.

Being a New Mexican, I avoid Phoenix like the plague because of the traffic. I usually cut across the desert at Prescott or Lake Pleasant to get west of Phoenix.

However the bigger question is humidification. In the winter months, I humidify my ukes so that they are at approximately 40% relative humidity. And during the summer when we utilize the swamp cooler I don't humidiy since the environment is usually moist enough to keep my ukes at the same relative humidity. I find if I humidify in the summer, the ukes get up to 60% which is too moist for my tastes.
I have electric guitars , acoustic guitars & a few ukuleles . I have lived in the Phoenix area for about 18 years . I have never had to use a humidifier . I have never had any issues with my instruments . I keep them in their cases . I know some people who do use humidifiers and I know more people that don't . I can't recall anyone I know personally that has had issues . Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself 🤔😝

Welcome to UU from north-central GA (US)! No shortage of humidity in my neck of the woods. I was slightly younger than you (56) when I discovered the uke in January 2022 but my heavy, loud Fender Leo Deluxe banjo has never left its case in the past 15 months:).

Welcome to UU, almann!
The ukulele immediately had me hooked. After a few years of play, I felt inspired enough to try out a guitalele. Although I didn't feel the instantaneous gelling like with uke, but I'm slowly but surely finding my feet on those bass strings. I wish you and your daughter lots of fun discovering these humble pieces of absolute pleasure!

I have electric guitars , acoustic guitars & a few ukuleles . I have lived in the Phoenix area for about 18 years . I have never had to use a humidifier . I have never had any issues with my instruments . I keep them in their cases . I know some people who do use humidifiers and I know more people that don't . I can't recall anyone I know personally that has had issues . Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself 🤔😝
A big part of it is your environment. I know a lot of people in Phoenix use climate control, so it isn't a big deal. I'm more old school. I've never had air conditioning. when it's over 100 I sit under a tree, and that's my climate control. For me, humidification is more of an issue since my climate varies a lot. Probably not an issue with centralized air conditioning.

Welcome to the UU Forum Almann. It's great that you will be able to play ukulele with your daughter.

I'll be moving up to Prescott later this year from Wisconsin. Should be fun. Used to live in Surprise, AZ 20 (north of Phoenix) years ago. 114°F is hot. Even if it's a dry heat.

Have fun with your ukes.

Welcome aboard friend!

Top Bottom