Hello From Southern Indiana/ Metro Louisville area

Little Island Nick

Reaction score
I purchased an electric guitar as most other kids did when the British (Stones fan) invasion happened and was in a couple of garage band,s learned a few chords then just stopped playing.
I retired last year and always wanted a fender so tried several and purchased a blacktop jaguar because the scale was 24" and it was easier to bend notes and stretch as needed.
The difficulty caused me to stop playing again and stumbled onto this uke guru on you tube "Ukulele Mike"
He had how to lessons on a lot of Beatles tunes and lots of other good stuff. I decided I wanted to give the uke a try so I found a Kala Jazz tenor (F sound holes) very cool on Craigslist and traded a Bass I had for it and I have been playing for a week and this is going much better than guitar. I have decided my guitar, amp and a bass amp I
have are going on craigslist this week.
I am thinking about a concert size uke but my fingers are big enough that I have problems with the E chord on my tenor
so I don't know .........
I like the looks of the Oscar Schmidt ou5lce though a tenor I love the cutaway body. The concert size ou220swk looks
good but again I am not sure about OS uks ......anyhow I am selling my guitar stuff.
Have any of you found others to play with or are you on your own?

Aloha Little Island Nick,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele..congrats on your new kala jazz...
ahh another guitar convert, many of us here..try and look for ukes with wider string spacing it may help..Oscar Schmidts are just a little wider..
I have an OU2 and OU5 ukuleles...adjusted tunings sound warmer on them for me....go out to the music store and try some ukes just as you would
a guitar for some side to side comparisons....Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Due to finding ukulele Mike I have been considering a OS, are the necks on a concert wider than a standard tenor?
The biggest problem is not many stores in Louisville stock a lot of ukes so they can be demoed. Having said that there is a new Guitar Center
in Louisville that may have more for demos.....plan on going there today to check.

First of all, welcome to the forums! We have a few members in that area--I'll let them chime in. I grew up there myself (Go Jeff Red Devils!)

I wouldn't judge the "fit" of a ukulele based on the E chord. Everybody's fingers are jammed in on those sorts of chords. Most people can wind up playing a concert (and even soprano) size with no problem once they get used to them.

As an owner of an OU5, I have mixed feeling about them. It's a good-looking instrument, but a bit "overbuilt". It's far quieter than, say, my Flea. (In fact, if you can track down a Flea or Fluke, I think you'd like them.) I would also recommend driving on up to Mainland Ukes, in Nashville, Indiana, and checking out what they have too.

JJ

Top Bottom