Help on buying mainland spruce top, or red cedar!!!!!

Bluejay188

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to ukulele underground, and I'm in need of a few tips. I want to buy a mainland concert ukulele, but I just can't decide on which to get. I have a mango concert already and I love it. So the choices are mainland spruce top, or red cedar, please help me decide.
Thanks!

I personally would go red cedar. The reports are the sound is beautifully mellow. I have a mahogany Mainland tenor, it's brighter (more harplike) but from listening to samples,the cedar has a nice soft sound. I personally am not a fan of spruce tops. They are really well-made ukes for the price. Mine came via Mike at Uke Republic, well-set-up and ready to go. I changed the strings (Aquila) out to Southcoast.

Generally spruce tops will be significantly brighter, I have a mahogany I really like..I have not tried their
red cedar as of yet..Good Luck and Happy Strummings

I like cedar more, but cedar dings and scratches easily. Just wanted to mention that to you.

Yes I have heard spruce top ukes are bright if you like bright sounding ukes. The cedar is not as mellow as a mahogany but it isn't too bright either and has a bit of a bark. I like my ceder top Mainland a lot. I have never tried a spruce top.

Got the cedar!

Just picked up the red cedar from mike in Nashville, it was a hard deciscion, but I got the cedar. Thanks guys Ill post pics later

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The red cedar has a great tone, and it's going to be very different from your mango uke, so you'll have a nice variety. I also have a Mainland mango concert and a red cedar soprano, so I know :).

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The red cedar has a great tone, and it's going to be very different from your mango uke, so you'll have a nice variety. I also have a Mainland mango concert and a red cedar soprano, so I know :).

Hey, did you gat matte, or gloss on your mainland mango? I regret that I didn't get the gloss now for some reason

Given a choice, I would always get a cedar soundboard/top. Always.

Given a choice, I would always get gloss over satin. Like a well use fretboard, satin picks up too much skin oil, especially from the forearm of the strumming arm.

That said, I own both satin and gloss ukes.

wickedwahine on UU is a lovely and knowledgeable person, and she did it successully, as I recall, with a Kamaka that was glossed at Kamaka well after she owned it. You could contact her about it.

Best, wear long sleeve shirts, play it and enjoy, and make it your "player" and "daily driver", and buy another gloss ukulele someday.
Mya Moe, custom ukes, for instance, charges $250 if you want their uke glossed. So, not cheap (to do t properly).

Top Bottom