Help ordering a friend a 400$ concert uke in NY

ajedrol

Reaction score
Greetings friends of the ukulele

I am a songwriter for 21 years and has long am interested in introducing me to the uke, I can bring many things both in homestudio and live. The fact is that some friends are going to be a few days in NY and I have in mind to ask one reward, something diferent than "my friends were in NY and brought me this shirt"

Now comes the fun:

-So far I have managed to focus a little, I think mine will be a concert, I have no experience with wood in uke. It also could could be a soprano.

-The priority is to be electro acoustic for the gigs, but could get away with an acoustic if not possible the electro-acoustic.

-I have a budget around $ 400.

-The purchase must be relatively simple, be able to send my friends to a store with two or three options depending on the stock.

I've been canvassing stores in NY and at the moment where I found something that could be interesting for that price is:

http://www.evmnyc.com/newfolk.html
(unfortunately do not have in stock Pono)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ukuleles-Stringed-Instruments,New-Gear.gc?o1=5&o=2

Some of the guitar center options:

- Koa Anuenue Lani II Concert Cutaway Electric Ukulele

- Lanikai Koa Solid AAA-Electric Concert Ukulele Aoustic

- Lanikai SM-CE Limited Edition Acoustic-Concert Spalted Mango

Do you know somewhere else where they have stock of ukuleles of these features interesting?

I'd appreciate any guidance. Thank you very very much.

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert in this, but here are a few words of wisdom I've been given (and some I learned on my own):

1. Never buy at Guitar Center. There's just nothing good in doing that.
2. If possible, go for solid wood. The aNueNue you mention is a laminate, but you could likely find the concert solid Koa O'ahu for about $400 if you look closely enough.
3. That $400 will buy you some sweet models. Instead of limiting yourself to the Lanikai or other Guitar Center models, consider Mainland, Big Island, Pono, and others.
4. Check out sites like Uke Republic and Hawai'ian Music Supply to get something online
5. Buy used. You could get something really nice from either the marketplace here or at Fleamarket Music. And check craigslist - you may get lucky there, too.

Buying a ukulele in NY city is tough. I've purchased at East Village and it may be the best selection, although as you already found out, their website isn't always up to date. Luckily, I found a very nice Mainland red cedar concert there. The only other place I've seen anything of interest is Matt Umanov Guitars. It's the only other place I've seen K brands in the city. Mostly higher end vintage stuff so probably out of the price range.

http://www.umanovguitars.com

I agree with PoiDog, avoid Guitar Center for ukes if you can. If that's all there is for you to see just make sure to play them. But again, wouldn't recommend GC.

My advice is to go to EVM and try out the Mainlands. Great ukes, great price. If they have the Red Cedar models you're in luck, but the Mahogany is awesome too. You could always add a pickup later.

Never know what you find used. I got my Pono MCD-E with hard case for $285 not long ago. Seen some real gems. Hawaii Music Supply has a great site with lots of sound clips, regardless of where you buy. "Audition" what you may like on YouTube,
search for previous posts on them here!

Hello friends

Thank you very much for your advice, the problem is that I´m not but my friends who travels to New York , so I can´t try the Uke.

The stock they have in East Village is limited, and Umanov exceeds my budget.

I'm considering buying from a store online in Hawaii and send it to the hotel that will be my friends, do you know if the hotels in New York agree to receive packages?

Thank you very much.

I am sort of curious where you live? Some place that does not sell ukuleles it sounds like. Guitar Center should be fine if you know they have it in stock. Just have your friends check it out real good. Also, they should be able to receive packages at a hotel.

You might also get one shipped to the hotel from Musicians Friend.

Hi Huna:

I live in Murcia (Spain). There´s no Uke in the city I guess :D

It´s possible to find ukes here in Spain but there´s not much stock in good and middle ones, and the diference of price is aroun 45%, thatá why I prefer to order it to my friends.

Wich are the best Uke shops to order online?

Thank you very much!

P.D. I have seen a Pono concert in the ukemarket here at the forum, maybe could be the right one. If not and ordering to a shop what Uke would you buy with 300-400$? Then I can buy a pickup.

Last edited:
ajedrol,

you have to order the ukulele from whoever has the ukulele that you want at the price you want and will take your order etc... I have used Musiciansfriend.com, samash.com, amazon.com, etc... but also regular shops like uke republic and mimsukes.com should be able to do it. I think they make a lot of ukes in portugal. I never realized how hard it was to buy stuff in Europe. Seems crazy to me. I mean we don't have that many great ukulele stores in the USA either really. Not ones that have everything in stock. Online is the only place and you have to find what you want and inquire.

Last edited:
I would get the Mainland as he will do setup and they sell MI-SI Trio Piezo pickups, which is very popular based on UU. I think Mainland has very good prices and again, he is a uke player, so you can tell him how you want it set up!! Good luck.

We have a winner!!

I´ve just ordered to install the K&K in the Mainland Mahogany concert. There we go!!!!

I´ll put my hands on it soon...

Hello again dudes:

I had a last time change so finally the chosen it´s been a Mike Pereira Mahogany concert.

I´ll do a review when I have it on hands.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hello again dudes:

I had a last time change so finally the chosen it´s been a Mike Pereira Mahogany concert.

I´ll do a review when I have it on hands.

Thanks everyone for your help.
You can't go wrong with a MP uke..Mike makes them sing...and offers them at a good price...I have a style 4 concert...Happy strummings and congratulations..

Top Bottom