Hi from steaming hot San Antonio, Texas!

SuperC

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am SuperC. I have been playing ukulele for about 3 months. I started on a soprano, but quickly moved to a tenor a couple weeks in. I love the tenor size. I am currently playing on a high G Ohana solid cedar top, laminate b&s uke that I bought from Mim’s online. I am very happy with it, but would like to start experimenting with a low G string/ uke soon. I am looking into some options. I am interested mostly in learning how to play fingerstyle, and hope to own a solid wood ukulele in the near future. I like playing well known songs, but I‘d rather pick than strum. Chord melody is a nice medium I’d like to try more of. I’m looking for ways to get the most out of my practice time, and also have some fun down time with my uke. I’m currently working through the Ukulele Aerobics book and playing songs from ultimate-guitar and watching YouTube tutorials and videos to learn things. Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Good to know you! The main thing is, to enjoy it! So long as you get pleasure from playing, you have all the time in the world to experiment with different tutorials etc! Whatever course of action(s) you choose will be great for you!

Good to know you! The main thing is, to enjoy it! So long as you get pleasure from playing, you have all the time in the world to experiment with different tutorials etc! Whatever course of action(s) you choose will be great for you!
Thanks TopDog! I do get a lot of pleasure out of learning something new and from just playing for myself and my family right now. Good to know you too, thanks for saying hello!

Welcome to UU, SuperC!

There are usually a few nice preloved ukes around in the marketplace. Earlier this month there was f.i. a Rebel Particle for sale from a member in Canada.

If you're interested in chord melody arrangements for low G I'd direct you to Spencer Gay's website and his YouTube channel.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...hord+Melody+Songbook+7+11+18+Great+c3wopt.pdf

If you're more interested in renaissance, classical or celtic music, you'll probably find some suitable materials on Roger Ruthen's website. You'll have to select a genre / period in the menu on the right:

https://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/baritone-and-low-g-tabs/

I wish you lots of joy on your uke journey!

Welcome to UU, SuperC!

There are usually a few nice preloved ukes around in the marketplace. Earlier this month there was f.i. a Rebel Particle for sale from a member in Canada.

If you're interested in chord melody arrangements for low G I'd direct you to Spencer Gay's website and his YouTube channel.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...hord+Melody+Songbook+7+11+18+Great+c3wopt.pdf

If you're more interested in renaissance, classical or celtic music, you'll probably find some suitable materials on Roger Ruthen's website. You'll have to select a genre / period in the menu on the right:

https://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/baritone-and-low-g-tabs/

I wish you lots of joy on your uke journey!
Thank you so much for the info Ms Bean! And for the warm welcome!

Welcome to UU! You went to the right seller, Mim is my favorite. I lived in Nacogdoches, TX, talk about humid!

Welcome to UU! You went to the right seller, Mim is my favorite. I lived in Nacogdoches, TX, talk about humid!
Hi Nickie. Yes, Mim did a really nice job of setting up my uke, I can see why she has such a good reputation in the ukulele community. So you lived near Houston? I never felt humidity quite like when I visited Houston! San Antonio is not as bad on humidity, but it is really hot for sure. We hit 100 degrees yesterday, but it felt like 110! Thanks for welcoming me to UU!

Welcome to the UU Forum Super C. Glad to have you here.

Mim is a great seller. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I find I need to keep a balance between lessons and playing for fun. While applying the new things I have learned as I can.

Enjoy your tenor. It's my preferred scale too.

We're only 93° here in the middle western part of Wisconsin. With pretty high humidity from the rain we had yesterday.

Welcome to UU SuperC and a big hello from Chicago! Thanks for the great introduction. Have fun!

Hi everyone, I am SuperC. I have been playing ukulele for about 3 months. I started on a soprano, but quickly moved to a tenor a couple weeks in. I love the tenor size. I am currently playing on a high G Ohana solid cedar top, laminate b&s uke that I bought from Mim’s online. I am very happy with it, but would like to start experimenting with a low G string/ uke soon. I am looking into some options. I am interested mostly in learning how to play fingerstyle, and hope to own a solid wood ukulele in the near future. I like playing well known songs, but I‘d rather pick than strum. Chord melody is a nice medium I’d like to try more of. I’m looking for ways to get the most out of my practice time, and also have some fun down time with my uke. I’m currently working through the Ukulele Aerobics book and playing songs from ultimate-guitar and watching YouTube tutorials and videos to learn things. Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
Hi! For tenor, low G, and fingerstyle playing, check out Jeff Peterson's books on Amazon and his videos. He does largely classical stuff, but his expertise can be applied to any kind of low-G fingerstyle. His website is at https://ukulelecorner.com. And welcome to UU! This is a really good place.

Welcome to the UU Forum Super C. Glad to have you here.

Mim is a great seller. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I find I need to keep a balance between lessons and playing for fun. While applying the new things I have learned as I can.

Enjoy your tenor. It's my preferred scale too.

We're only 93° here in the middle western part of Wisconsin. With pretty high humidity from the rain we had yesterday.
Thanks for the welcome Kenn2018! I like your quote by Lou Churchill. Enjoy your cool weather :)

Hi! For tenor, low G, and fingerstyle playing, check out Jeff Peterson's books on Amazon and his videos. He does largely classical stuff, but his expertise can be applied to any kind of low-G fingerstyle. His website is at https://ukulelecorner.com. And welcome to UU! This is a really good place.
Hi Patty. Thanks for saying hi and for directing me to these resources. I will definitely check these out! I have a feeling that I will be learning a lot from the people within UU as I am new to this. Hopefully someday I will be able to help other beginners like myself.

Top Bottom