Strings How high can you tune the A string without breaking

strings100

Reaction score
Ukulele strings are pretty stretchy. How much tension does it take the break an A string on a soprano uku?

That can depend on a lot more factors than just the tensile strength of the string. If the nut slot has a rough spot, if there's a flaw in the string, if there's a rough spot on the bridge, a rough spot in the tuning peg... there are likely other factors, but the point is it's not just about how stretchy a string is before it breaks. It's kind of an open ended question. There are likely tolerances within which various manufacturers produce their strings to, and that particular string may be within tolerance of a certain range, but each string is probably not precisely the same.

That said, I wouldn't suggest tuning any string up beyond a full tone or maybe two... I'd need someone else's experience to recommend the limit there. Certainly not as far as an octave, that would risk breakage and definitely would over stretch the string and make it pretty much useless (or at least, not useful for very long).

Not an answer, but I've got some 0.32mm Fluorocarbon for high-high G and high E, but factored it wouldn't get to the A...

Seems like an odd question, why would you want to tune it that high? You would need a sophisticated device to be able to measure that. I have a new uke where the A string, tuned normal, broke, three of them, turns out it was the nut slot, which when filed, fixed the problem.

Seems like an odd question, why would you want to tune it that high? You would need a sophisticated device to be able to measure that. I have a new uke where the A string, tuned normal, broke, three of them, turns out it was the nut slot, which when filed, fixed the problem.
I want to know how high I can tune it before it breaks.

It's an odd question because you mentioned the word "tune".
The answer is it will only be practically tunable to roughly +/- 1 note from the intended tuning.

Beyond that, breaking is not the main issue.
The string being too tense for playing & safety for your uke, or being too floppy become the problems.

The string is not the only thing potentially damaged when you keep tightening til its theoretical breaking point.
It will not be good for your ukulele, especially the neck, bridge and top.

You're asking the question, what metric are you expecting as an answer?

Are you asking what note you could tune a standard A string up to?

There are various tension charts around that show tensions for various strings. They show a range of tensions for individual strings within a set and also for total tension between different sets. There is a formula that relates tension to string diameter and length for given notes and string material density. While this does not help with finding a breaking point you can rearrange the formula to find the range of frequencies where tension would fall into an area that might be reasonably playable.

You really need to clarify why you want to change tuning. If it's about the key for singing, just use a capo to change keys.

I wouldn't tune it up more than two semitones. That would be a B.

As others have mentioned, tuning it up that high is probably going to make it less than ideal to play. It will FEEL too tight long before you get to the point of breaking it.

If tuning that far up is where you want or need to be, you might look into a different set of strings.

Ukulele strings are pretty stretchy. How much tension does it take the break an A string on a soprano uku?

Apparently ukulele strings are pretty much unbreakable:

IMG_6985.jpeg

Step One: Take piece of wood and put a nail in it and tie a string to it. Take an old tuning machine and attach it to the wood and tighten up. Wear glasses in case it snaps upward towards your face. You may rig something like this with some other hardware if you don't have an old tuning peg.

Step Three: Profit!

There are a few pieces to this. As already mentioned, nut, saddle, bridge edges can cause a string to break before it’s tensile strength.

You can get a rough/general idea by using the string diameter and looking up an equivalent fishing line diameter in nylon or fluorocarbon to get a test weight. Not that this will transfer directly to your strings, but it will get you in the ballpark.

Using a string tension calculator for your string and scale, you might be able to come up with a pitch that meets a “theoretical” breaking point.

The last piece is the instrument itself. If, as an example, the string can go to 20lbs before breaking will the ukulele withstand that, especially if the other 3 strings are brought to a similar tension.

John

If you're interested in tuning to include a high E like on a violin/mandolin, Aquila has a string set that is made for 5ths tuning, and includes that E. As others said, if you're wanting to break a string, I would not do it on the actual instrument in case of possible catastrophes to the instrument itself (e.g. blowing out the bridge?). I think Neil_O's suggestion would be the safest, if you're just dying of curiosity and need to know how high an A string can be tuned before breaking. Use a tuning app that shows chromatic tuning as you tighten it past A to see where you get to. That would be a fairly scientific method-esque approach, without risking damage to an actual instrument.

Step Three: Profit!
I see where you went with this :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom