KPK logo change?

zaad

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found any answers so I thought I'd ask here. I've been off-and-on looking at the Koa Pili Koko ukuleles. It seems that at some point back in time, they were imported by Casey Moore but that is no longer true? Also, I see different versions of the logo on the headstock - one where it looks just embossed into the wood, another where the "Koa" seems to be lettered in gold with a black outline.

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the change? Are KPK's still as nice as it was when they were being imported by Casey Moore?

I've got one with the gold lettering decal. I believe the newer ones are laser engraved.

Mine's an acacia concert, I'm loving it. Very traditional sound.

I've done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found any answers so I thought I'd ask here. I've been off-and-on looking at the Koa Pili Koko ukuleles. It seems that at some point back in time, they were imported by Casey Moore but that is no longer true? Also, I see different versions of the logo on the headstock - one where it looks just embossed into the wood, another where the "Koa" seems to be lettered in gold with a black outline.

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the change? Are KPK's still as nice as it was when they were being imported by Casey Moore?

The current owner Jason sells a reliable ukulele without the cracking problems I read once plagued the brand. I've purchased four sopranos from Jason, three acacia pineapples and one mahogany soprano. All came beautifully set up and neither myself nor two people to whom I gifted two of the pineapples have had any problems. Solid wood nice sounding ukuleles at an affordable price in my opinion.

longneck sopranos / pineapple

#8. Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Concert Neck Pineapple. Ultimate for now.
#9. KPK Acacia Concert. As close as I'm getting to Koa for a while.

Was noticing your signature and thought I'd ask. I've been eyeing the Mainland red cedar longneck pineapple as well, but am not finding a lot of reviews of it (seems like most people have the concert longneck). If it's not too much to ask, can you do a quick review of it?

From my limited experience so far, I've really liked playing on a concert neck soprano and like the sound and am really thinking of getting one. The pineapple shape is interesting to me as well. Do you find that it really does affect the sound? Does it still sound like a soprano? Does the concert neck and the pineapple shape combo alter the soprano sound too much (like a concert)?

It seems that KPK has offered longneck sopranos in the past (but not currently), so I'm intrigued by that as well. Am currently emailing KPK to see if they have any plans to offer a concert neck soprano/pineapple.

Thanks

The laser-engraved logo on the headstock is new as of last September or thereabouts. (I've been looking at them for a while, too! :D I moved away from KPK because I'm kind of leaning toward friction tuners right now but I may consider the new mahogany soprano which KPK just introduced.)

I don't know Jason personally and I don't own a KPK at this point, but I have written to ask him questions and he is very nice and helpful. If you have questions about KPK 'ukes and you don't get answers here don't hesitate to e-mail him.

KC Moore was the original designer and builder of the KPK....he sold it to a Chinese company and Jason and Chiang(Ken) are the only US distributors of this uke....

KC Moore was the original designer and builder of the KPK....he sold it to a Chinese company and Jason and Chiang(Ken) are the only US distributors of this uke....

Wow Stan you know everything..that one reason you my Hero..

Was noticing your signature and thought I'd ask. I've been eyeing the Mainland red cedar longneck pineapple as well, but am not finding a lot of reviews of it (seems like most people have the concert longneck). If it's not too much to ask, can you do a quick review of it?

From my limited experience so far, I've really liked playing on a concert neck soprano and like the sound and am really thinking of getting one. The pineapple shape is interesting to me as well. Do you find that it really does affect the sound? Does it still sound like a soprano? Does the concert neck and the pineapple shape combo alter the soprano sound too much (like a concert)?

It seems that KPK has offered longneck sopranos in the past (but not currently), so I'm intrigued by that as well. Am currently emailing KPK to see if they have any plans to offer a concert neck soprano/pineapple.

Thanks

Wow. Even though I've been plugging away at this for close to 2 years now I don't feel qualified to do a "review." I really don't have enough experience playing a variety of instruments to be making comparisons. But here's my brief story.

I had a standard neck red cedar/rosewood pineapple before and I just loved sound and the playability. But I think a concert-neck soprano is what I really like for strumming oriented stuff and when Mike offered the concert neck model I jumped on it. Awesome bell-like tone with great ring. Very bright with the Fremonts on it. May tone it down just a bit with something else though. Not much mind you.

The sound is not at all concert-ish, but I've never played a concert size red cedar Mainland to compare. You can bet I'm going to Mike's shop during UWC to try a red cedar concert though. I couldn't say if the pineapple shape affects the sound much vs the figure eight. With the Fremonts at least, I find that my Kala with its Aquilas is louder but loud is not everything.

I'd love to try a KPK long neck soprano. I'd probably go with the acacia again with that.

Re: the Mainland, go for it! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

The new KPK logo is laser etched rather than a decal. IMO the KPK has improved greatly after having some earlier cracking issues which led to Casey not handling them.

I have an acacia concert which is my daily ukulele. I just ordered a Deluxe Acacia Pineapple which should be arriving in a few days.

KPK is one of the best bangs for the $$ out there.

Jason said that friction tuners may become an option on some models in the not too distant future.

The Kamoa E3 line is also a good solid wood uke for the price.

Top Bottom