Luthiers Post your coolest build....:)

Santo soul in this soprano - 347 mm scale.
Flamed maple top, mahogany sides and back,
Brasilian cedar neck with carbone tube stringer.
Light, and a real sweety voice...
More on my web site, with all the buidilng story in archives...
Bye,
Gerard - France

santo 1.jpg
santo 2.jpg
santo 3.jpg
santo 4.jpg
santo 5.jpg

Last edited:
Thank-you.
Love Santo body shape.
Think to make another one next year.
Two other close up.
Nut and bridge with around 60 years old ivory.
Mandolin frets.

santo 6.jpg
santo 7.jpg

Some Folks thought this one I made, was special ..but it was not my favourite...I had to fight it all the way.

Some Folks thought this one I made, was special ..but it was not my favourite...I had to fight it all the way.

Looks like you won the fight, Ken. A bit of a departure... Looks cool. Were you happy with the sound? Very interesting saddle and bridge - I like the shape of the end of the fretboard as well. Very different.

Black and White Ebony build in progress!

Hey all, I’m new to the scene but thought I’d throw out what I was working on…
I just started making ukes this past summer and am loving every minute of it, so when I ran into the opportunity to purchase some black and white ebony lumber, large enough to make uke’s, I bought it up!!! So I decided to start taking pics of my builds and get them out there for people to see as I am having a hard time finding a builder that makes ukes in some of the woods I’m using ( is this good or bad!!!) Anyway, here’s some shots after the box is complete and the binding channel routed! As you will see there’s no rosette! I decided not to use one on this build, I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt me!

As you can see, it’s coming along nicely, next step is to install the pictured binding that matches the colors VERY nicely, there’s even some of the brown in the B&W that matches.

I used a one piece Sitka top as it matched the color in the ebony very well, and it has engelmann bracing. I’m very pleased with it so far!

Let me know what you guys think!!! Can’t wait till I get it done and can post a pic!
Any comments welcome, even the critical!

I posted this to the 'Barnwood to Tonewood' thread, but it probably is my coolest build.
Reclaimed old-growth redwood barn siding, with the weathered side showing.
The neck is also redwood from the barn. Back, sides, everything else is manzanita.
This one is literally a little rough around the edges. :)

barnwood-uke.jpg
barnwood-uke2.jpg

Top Bottom