Mim bugging you again! What are the "must have" Kalas?

Thanks guys! I am definately stocking up on the Dolphins. The only other place in my area with Kalas is Sam Ash and I definately want to offer more selection than they do. I also like to appeal to the lower-end buyer. People just starting out who can not afford the more expensive ukes, but for an extra $10-$20 they go home with a heck of a lot better than the Hilos GC carries. Also people who want to get one for their kids. But I am also going to start advertising my uke saled more and I definately want everything from high in to low-end. So I think I will end up with a good variety. But this gives me a great base to build form. I was on the fence on ordering the thin-lines, but after all the good reviews I think thost are a "must have"!

IMHO, the solid mahogany Kalas are great. The tenor particularly is a very nice uke. I loved the one I was dumb enough to sell.

GottaKala?

I'm possibly your least sophisticated responder but I'll chime in anyway. I have a Mango Tenor and love it. I couldn't accurately compare it with other instruments but the sound is good by me and it fits a large guy pretty well. Maybe it's a Chevy but I'm honored to have it! I'm also interested in the travel ukes and imagine others are as well.
BTW, I personally like the lighter colored woods. Maybe that will change.

I love the dolphin colors but detest the dolphin bridge.

Me I'm the opposite, I love that funky dolphin bridge but would prefer a natural finish sound board, and unpainted plastic body sort of a budget Flea. Paint chips, and paint on plastic chips even easier so Dolphin may be rugged but will look ugly in no time flat with a little normal kid abuse or backpacking. At least they are affordable so cheap to replace if need be.

The thinline Travel concert and sopranos are both killer, and VERY reasonably priced. They have an amazing sound, bigger and brighter than most conventional ukes, including even many more expensive ones. (I've only played those two sizes, but I bet the tenor is great, too).

I completely agree!

Plus, the "basic" solid mahogany models (soprano, concert, tenor)

I agree about the mahoganys... I think the binding really sets them apart and makes them "pop".

I was thinking a clip-in tuner... but maybe I can make it a package deal ;)

Any of the solid spruce tops are nice though I wish KALA would make at least a solid spruce top pineapple. They don't seem to take pineapples seriously.

Compared to you, no one takes pineapples seriously.

Your passion for them is contagious and delightful by the way.

Top Bottom