My Video got yanked off YouTube!!

Nobody should OWN music. That's stupid.

Anyone interested in the Digital Mellenium Copyright Act, just google it and pick your trusted source. Or go to National Public Radio's site and search for copyright in media instructional courses. They can point you to a class that is offered nationally for the layperson to understand the ins and outs of copyright law. If you still have questions after all that, consider enrolling in lawshcool.

I think I'll just keep posting and praying. LOL!

What about Vimeo.com do they have the same issues with copyrights? If not, UU should consider to abandon YT and go to vimeo... it's nicer anyway! (well, apart of the less popularity compared to YT)

Anywhere that starts getting significant numbers of covers on it will soon have just the same problems. If Youtubers exodus to another video hosting site, then Big Record will simply come down on that one too. The trouble is that legally, they DO have every right to control the use of songs they have paid for the rights to. I fully agree that you're doing artist and record company a favour when you cover their songs, but legally, that means nothing.

In other news, pastiche and parody are completely allowable, so we can, for instance, rewrite every Prince song to be about what an arse Prince is, and how stupid record companies are, and record them, and they won't have a leg to stand on. Campaign, anyone?

Anywhere that starts getting significant numbers of covers on it will soon have just the same problems. If Youtubers exodus to another video hosting site, then Big Record will simply come down on that one too. The trouble is that legally, they DO have every right to control the use of songs they have paid for the rights to. I fully agree that you're doing artist and record company a favour when you cover their songs, but legally, that means nothing.

In other news, pastiche and parody are completely allowable, so we can, for instance, rewrite every Prince song to be about what an arse Prince is, and how stupid record companies are, and record them, and they won't have a leg to stand on. Campaign, anyone?

Yes, I agree. I didn't mean to come off as if by helping the artist, that I meant they gave up their legal rights or anything. I just think it's silly the way the music industry acts.

I have a whole beef with the recording labels anyways. They pretty much had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the whole digital media sales system. They just wanted to keep the business-as-usual model, and ignore the 21st century. After the whole Metallica versus Napster issue, some of them finally woke up. I think a few of the smaller labels, who embraced online media, digital transfer, and iTunes help as well.

But the entertainment industry still reverts back to the brick-and-mortar mentality from time to time. Hence the issues with YouTube. If they were smart, YouTube could have a separate channel for music, and let musicians pay a small monthly/yearly fee to cover ASCAP costs. Bars pay ASCAP fees so they don't get in trouble when playing cover songs there. Why can Youtube do the same?

Just my thoughts.

Yes, I agree. I didn't mean to come off as if by helping the artist, that I meant they gave up their legal rights or anything. I just think it's silly the way the music industry acts.

I have a whole beef with the recording labels anyways. They pretty much had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the whole digital media sales system. They just wanted to keep the business-as-usual model, and ignore the 21st century. After the whole Metallica versus Napster issue, some of them finally woke up. I think a few of the smaller labels, who embraced online media, digital transfer, and iTunes help as well.

But the entertainment industry still reverts back to the brick-and-mortar mentality from time to time. Hence the issues with YouTube. If they were smart, YouTube could have a separate channel for music, and let musicians pay a small monthly/yearly fee to cover ASCAP costs. Bars pay ASCAP fees so they don't get in trouble when playing cover songs there. Why can Youtube do the same?

Just my thoughts.

Youtube DO pay costs to the record companies. The problem is that Warner have decided it's not enough. I agree that they could ask us to pay, however.

There is SO MUCH music that I listen to now and BUY that I would not know existed if it weren't for youtube.

Way to go PrincessAdelle!

Top Bottom