NBD, Kala SUB...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Been wanting one of these for years! Kind of hard to find at a reasonable price, accidentally stumbled across this at Guitar Center, used Department! It's like new!!! Needs to have the strings unwound a rewound, but not a problem, the strings seem like new. Sounds awesome, the preamp knobs seem to work fine, which I've heard is sometimes a problem with these, at least the volume! I had a black one several years ago, put round wounds on it and didn't like it, so I sold it, since then been wanting a sunburst. Love the sunburst because my first bass craving was a Fender P-bass back in the 60's, looked just like this, except of course a lot bigger! 😁 🤙 🎶
SUBII.jpg

Congrats. I hope you enjoy it. And I see that Kala has just released their new electric bass uke model.
They do call it a U-Bass, which is Kala's designation for their bass instruments, but I would call it a micro-bass rather than a bass uke. To me a bass uke has a piezo pickup and poly or nylon core strings. I actually never use U-bass as a generic term, I always use bass uke, and for any of my electric pickups, I say micro-bass. But that's just me, to each their own.

Right, Mike, I think there are so many new variants of bass instruments that the naming conventions can't keep up. These new Kala electrics aren't ukuleles by any stretch, so your terminology seems to fit better. On a separate issue, I am interested in the new Kalas because the pickups are passive rather than active. I just may have to check these out. ;)

Played with one of my ukulele groups last night, love this thing! The tone and balance across the strings is great! I've been in love with my old fretless for 3-4 years, since I've had it, but I like this SUB even better, it is a little heavier, but I can deal with it for now.

They do call it a U-Bass, which is Kala's designation for their bass instruments, but I would call it a micro-bass rather than a bass uke. To me a bass uke has a piezo pickup and poly or nylon core strings. I actually never use U-bass as a generic term, I always use bass uke, and for any of my electric pickups, I say micro-bass. But that's just me, to each their own.
It's made by Kala, who copyrighted U•BASS, so I guess they can call it what they want whether you approve or not! 🤣

Played with one of my ukulele groups last night, love this thing! The tone and balance across the strings is great! I've been in love with my old fretless for 3-4 years, since I've had it, but I like this SUB even better, it is a little heavier, but I can deal with it for now.
It's 1.5 lbs heavier, felt like more, hanging around my neck for 2 hours last night, guess it's the old age and arthritis...😅 probably mostly arthritis.

Congrats! I think it's really cute, I don't care what it's called.

Top Bottom