New Ken Timms on eBay!

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Primarily because I've never purchased any item through eBay, this is the first time I've actually looked closely at one of Ken's listings. Am I overlooking an "additional info" (etc.) icon/ button where pertinent Luthier-specific details (in addition to solid mahogany construction and ebony fretboard) can/ should be noted? I'm thinking of:
  • Type of wood (ebony?) from which saddle and nut were cut
  • Mahogany (?) bridge
  • _______ (type of wood) -inlaid soundhole rosette
  • ______ (type of metal) frets
  • Brand, type, and finish (nickel?) of rear-facing tuners
  • Porcelain (?) tuner buttons
  • Brand of strings
  • French polish finish
This isn't intended as criticism. All Timms fans at UU are highly familiar with such details, but I suspect they're not otherwise common knowledge.

What a looker—one of his snooker table ukes. I wonder if the serial number should end in “23” instead of “22.” Or maybe he finished it last year and is just now selling it. Whatever, it’s very lush-looking wood, a beautiful example of a Timms.

@Oldscruggsfan Most of that info, except for the hardware brands, is in the full description.

The only slightly disturbing part for me is that one of the (video?) links was removed by eBay.

Am I overlooking an "additional info" (etc.) icon/ button where pertinent Luthier-specific details (in addition to solid mahogany construction and ebony fretboard) can/ should be noted?
No. And I don’t recommend asking him. The strings are fishing line, which you’ll replace; the tuners are generic but OK; I replaced mine with UPT’s. And the French polish is his wife’s concoction, lovingly & beautifully done. You can go to his Instagram page for the story of the century-old Cuban mahogany snooker table.

Thanks for posting. Primarily because I've never purchased any item through eBay, this is the first time I've actually looked closely at one of Ken's listings. Am I overlooking an "additional info" (etc.) icon/ button where pertinent Luthier-specific details (in addition to solid mahogany construction and ebony fretboard) can/ should be noted? I'm thinking of:
  • Mahogany (?) bridge
  • Brand of strings
  • French polish finish
This isn't intended as criticism. All Timms fans at UU are highly familiar with such details, but I suspect they're not otherwise common knowledge.
Educated guess: This will sell for far above the initial bid, and the new owner will love it.

Baz did a thorough review of a Timms 5 years ago, and this applies pretty well to the new one (other than the snooker table and strings).

P.S. Thanks in part to this review, the selling price for Ken’s escalated dramatically.

• Mahogany (?) bridge
  • Brand of strings
  • French polish finish
You probably won’t get a reply as he’s 83 years old and only does this as a hobby. 😄

You probably won’t get a reply as he’s 83 years old and only does this as a hobby. 😄
Thanks. I wasn’t proposing to ask Ken. I’m aware that he hates responding to prospective buyers’ questions. My question is are those “specifications” or “details” in the ad and, if so, where?

SELF-EDIT: I just answered my own silly questions. All this info is shown under “Seller Specs”. As @Patty confirmed in an earlier response, strings are fishing line. A sound investment if ever there was one!

Last edited:
Just curious… What part of being 83 years old does it have to do with not getting a reply!??!

Just curious… What part of being 83 years old does it have to do with not getting a reply!??!
You might surmise that people over 80 did not grow up with electronics as a means of communication (not counting landline phones). They likely have a limited presence using the internet, including email. I expect that Ken Timms devotes his energies more toward making the ukuleles and other pursuits. Email is likely a source of irritation rather than a splendid way to keep in touch with others.

Generally, there is a negative correlation between the use and comfort of electronics and age.

You might surmise that people over 80 did not grow up with electronics as a means of communication (not counting landline phones). They likely have a limited presence using the internet, including email. I expect that Ken Timms devotes his energies more toward making the ukuleles and other pursuits. Email is likely a source of irritation rather than a splendid way to keep in touch with others.

Generally, there is a negative correlation between the use and comfort of electronics and age.
My mom is 88 (5 years older than Ken). She’s a retired public school teacher (and has, incidentally, been retired more than a decade longer than she worked.) Mom has never touched a computer, and has neither the desire nor the need to do so. I’m impressed that at 83 Ken lists his builds on eBay, aside from the fact that he’s still actively building ukes at 83.
As I originally stated, my question about specs wasn’t intended as a criticism. I just didn’t see the details when viewing the eBay listing. I’ve since taken another look and found them under “Seller Specifications”.
All is well.

Last edited:
I find it amazing that Kenn still has the energy and the ability to do this. I could in no way attempt this kind of detailed, hard work.
My mom is gonna be 94 in a few weeks, and she has no desire to touch a computer. She doesn't even own a microwave oven, and carries a flip phone in her car only for emergencies. She barely keeps the house clean, let alone build something. Me too.

• Mahogany (?) bridge
  • Brand of strings
  • French polish finish
1. Yes ebony, if you search this forum you will see comments from Ken talking about it. Vintage martins did the same and he makes the best non vintage vintage martins
2. The bridge is mostly likely mahogany based on looks
3. It is some thin strip of wood, I don’t think the species matters it is really small and inline with Martin did.
4. Good enough frets. With nylon strings, fret material does not make much of a difference from how much they will last. Tone wise they work amazing considering the reviews online and my personal experience
5. They are friction tuners, they are pretty good and not the cheapest money can buy.
6. No plastic. This is a video of him shaping them

7. Fishing line strings
8. His wife does the French polish.

please search up this forum and his YouTube channel you will far more details than what you will have for most other ukes. He is super consistent and reliable in his builds.

Also, Ken makes them and lists them.. if you don’t have the details you want, then trust the reviews else sell it (and based on the past, it will sell fast).

Circling back to my now-answered question about detailed specs, one day this past week I suddenly recalled Ken posting (or, maybe re-posting is more accurate) a video some time last year of him gluing relatively long sections of ebony nut material at the headstock end of the fretboard, then cutting and sanding after that. As is true of all Ken’s shop videos, it was excellent.

Top Bottom