Newbie ready ( and anxious) to move up

heyjohn

Reaction score
I've only been playing a few months but like many, I'm already thinking of my next uke. I got a Kala laminate soprano as a gift and after taking a beginner class I got a Kala laminate tenor. It's a better fit for sure but the sound doesn't seem all that great. I do admit that it's mostly due to my lack of skills at this point, but I'm ready for wood. I know it really comes down to what sound I like, and what look I like, but music stores that carry a variety of ukes are few and far between. I'd love to hear opinions on brands, wood tops, solid wood, the value of a setup, etc. I'm probably going to spend in the $200 - $300 range.

The one I'm currently looking at is an Oscar Schmidt solid mahogany recommended by Ukulele Mike, although I've heard mahogany can be a bit quiet, and Oscar Schmidt doesn't get great reviews here. Anyway, that's all I've got so far.

Thanks in advance for all your help! Aloha!

Hey heyjohn. Welcome to UU. Glad you joined us.

If you're looking for a new uke the best is always play before you pay. If you like road trips you have two great resources. Mainland Ukulele in Nashville Indiana http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/ and Elderly Music in Lansing Michigan http://www.elderly.com/
Hopefully some of our Chicago member can point to some of your local stores as well.

Happy hunting and keep us posted.

Mainland.
Solid wood.
And if you can, try something different (in a store) than solid mahog... consider it your horizon expansion.

Hey heyjohn. Welcome to UU. Glad you joined us.

If you're looking for a new uke the best is always play before you pay. If you like road trips you have two great resources. Mainland Ukulele in Nashville Indiana http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/ and Elderly Music in Lansing Michigan http://www.elderly.com/
Hopefully some of our Chicago member can point to some of your local stores as well.

Happy hunting and keep us posted.

:agree: This is some very good advice. Wouldn't be surprised if you came back from Mainland with sweet "B" stock uke (if you can find the defect) at a big savings

FYI, Mike said he can offer a 20% discount on B-stock (imperfect finish or purfling) Mainland ukes, and he should have some solid tenors back in stock around end of July/beginning of August. ;)

My first uke was a Kala travel tenor body. Like you I thought a solid wood body would sound better, but honestly the Kala sounded so great that even though I now have solid body ukes I never forgot that Kala! Your first ukes by Kala could possibly be very good quality so the jump to a "solid" body in sound quality may not be as huge as you might think. If you have the chance to go to Elderly you will likely have a great opportunity to try many different ukes in differing price ranges and styles. From what I've read on UU, Mainland will be a great choice. Another thing to consider is to change the strings on your Kalas to see if that improves the sound to your liking and save up for a uke in a higher price range. If you have UAS then that's another story...

i bought another Kala after i out UASed my first uke a solid mahogany soprano SMHS and believe me it was a keeper, beautiful sound, great intonation and projection and beautiful on the eye with the tortoise shell purfling, it was really loud although warmer, not quieter, of of course if you want to spend more and improve on one of these, have a look at the Mainland Red Cedar range, loud proud and absolutely stunning uke candy, good luck on your journey

What is "SMHS"?

i bought another Kala after i out UASed my first uke a solid mahogany soprano SMHS and believe me it was a keeper, beautiful sound, great intonation and projection and beautiful on the eye with the tortoise shell purfling, it was really loud although warmer, not quieter, of of course if you want to spend more and improve on one of these, have a look at the Mainland Red Cedar range, loud proud and absolutely stunning uke candy, good luck on your journey

Thanks for all the advice. I kind of knew this post would not only give me answers but more questions. Is my Kala already good enough? If I have UAS (ok, I have it, who's kidding who) how far 'up' do I go, and as mentioned before, is it really up I'm going? I'm currently looking at Kala and Pono, mahogany and acacia, maybe even Islander or Cordoba, as well as the Oscar Schmidt.

I very much appreciate all opinoins, and I must say "This is Fun!"

Aloha

Top Bottom