Newbie to playing uke and UU forum…I like this forum!

tenniscoach

Reaction score
Hi fellow ukers (is that an OK term?)

I'm a rookie uke player, I took a guitar class for a semester recently at a community college (Skyline college in the Bay Area). I look forward to learning how to play, it seems less intimidating and more fun. True?

I bought the Kala solid cedar top with acacia body uke, is that a good choice for starters or should I post and sell it in the UU Marketplace? I like the Pono MT, but maybe down the road, I heard the neck is too thick anyhow. Unless someone has one to sell me at a reasonable price. I guess that is the beauty of the ukes, you can never be satisfied or just love the variety of sounds.

Please give me all the advice you can, I can use the help. :)

Enjoying the uke art form…back to practicing! :eek:
Gary

Welcome Gary. I'm not familiar with that particular uke, but assuming it is set up well, that should last you a good long while. The best advice is keep doing what you're doing - practicing and having fun.

Hi fellow ukers (is that an OK term?)

Enjoying the uke art form…back to practicing! :eek:
Gary

Welcome, Gary.

Are you familiar with David Foster Wallace's classic essays on tennis...the Roger Federer one and the oh-so-funny Tracy Austin one? Good reading.

I like "fellow ukers". My introduction called everyone here "rogue toy pickers" and it's been downhill ever since.

Greetings fellow uker and welcome. That's a fine starter uke you bought and certainly one worth keeping. A great combination of tone and looks for that kind of money. Glad you joined us.

Welcome. Glad to see "back to practicing" in your post. Please, remember to play, too. Enjoy your Kala. It will be a fine assistant for you to make beautiful music. Worry about getting something "better" later on.

Welcome!

Kala is a great brand that's serious about the instrument and a solid (especially with a solid top :p) choice. I personally much prefer instruments with a spruce/cedar top and a hard wood back and sides rather than all hard wood. And I like slotted headstocks, so if it's the Kala I think it is, you've selected one that'd be very high on my list!

Which size did you get? Soprano, concert, tenor? Just curious, as that's entirely a preference thing.

And as stevepetergal said, practice plenty but also just enjoy playing and having fun.

Hi Laouik,
Thanks for replying, I bought the Kala, solid cedar top with acacia body TENOR.
I do like ukes with a rich, warm sound, would you recommend stringing my Kala with the Worth CT Browns, with a LOW G string? People love the Worth strings. If so, is $15 a good price. Where do ukers get a good deal on strings?
Cheers! Back to practicing…another 123,000 hours to go.

Top Bottom