NUFD (new uke finish day)

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I've mentioned recently, I now only play thinline tenor ukes because of nerve damage to my neck spinal cord. When I first decided to do that a few months ago, I looked for a Kala Travel tenor cutaway, but none were out there. So I bought two Lanikai Thinlines A/E, curly maple and bocoté, which don't have as good a projection as the Kala, but good enough, and actually found a Hricane Thinline with a spruce top that does have projection like the Kala.

Early last week I did find a Kala A/E online, and even though it also has a spruce top, I ordered it. I like each of my instruments to look different from each other, so I brought the Hricane to Pat Wilkins Finishes, who has been painting my bass ukes for years, he's one of the best in the country, and had him add a burst matching the color of the walnut back. I picked it up a couple days ago, and it came out great.

Hricane compare.jpg

Wow, that looks great! I’d like to try that out on a couple of my boring plain spruce top instruments.
Got the wheels turning…

Really a nice upgrade. Can you ballpark what that kind of customization costs? I might have some candidates!

I know you also some some of Bruce Wei's thin lines. How do they compare, and have you ever tried a KoAloha? You are the expert of thin body ukes, glad they help you keep playing!

As I've mentioned recently, I now only play thinline tenor ukes because of nerve damage to my neck spinal cord. When I first decided to do that a few months ago, I looked for a Kala Travel tenor cutaway, but none were out there. So I bought two Lanikai Thinlines A/E, curly maple and bocoté, which don't have as good a projection as the Kala, but good enough, and actually found a Hricane Thinline with a spruce top that does have projection like the Kala.

Early last week I did find a Kala A/E online, and even though it also has a spruce top, I ordered it. I like each of my instruments to look different from each other, so I brought the Hricane to Pat Wilkins Finishes, who has been painting my bass ukes for years, he's one of the best in the country, and had him add a burst matching the color of the walnut back. I picked it up a couple days ago, and it came out great.

View attachment 159996
That came out fantastic!! Nice choice Mike.

Really a nice upgrade. Can you ballpark what that kind of customization costs? I might have some candidates! I know you also some some of Bruce Wei's thin lines. How do they compare, and have you ever tried a KoAloha? You are the expert of thin body ukes, glad they help you keep playing!
Pat is premium, $350 for the burst flat finish. I looked at the the KoAloha thin, but it's deeper than the Kala ($400) and Lanikai ($360 each), which because mine are all the same size and configuration, it's very easy for me to go from one to the other. I actually had my guy Bruce Wei make me a custom ($850 incl. shipping), the exact dimensions of the Kala in all solid glossy acacia koa, and he's now making me one in all solid spalted maple $875). These are them, plus progress of the spalted maple.

Ukulele Collection.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know you could do that on already finished uke's, pretty cool

I REALLY like that color of burst. I believe Taylor guitars call it a Honey Burst, regardless it looks fantastic.

I am almost ready to buy an air brushing kit and try it myself. I have sprayed lots of cars, motorcycles, and boats. A little practice, and I should be able to do the “burst on the front, then hit the whole sound board with a coat of clear.
I want to do my Ibanez tenor guitar…

Both Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings are playing guitars with sunburst tops, which I've never seen in a Bluegrass band.

Both Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings are playing guitars with sunburst tops, which I've never seen in a Bluegrass band.
Same, also Billy String’s pink dyed hair, also never before seen in bluegrass. Love the progression and differentness floating lately into the genre ✌🏽

Same, also Billy String’s pink dyed hair, also never before seen in bluegrass. Love the progression and differentness floating lately into the genre ✌🏽
Still, I do like it when the band appears in suits and hats. Very classy.

That came out wonderful Mike. Very classy. And I don't usually like a burst finish.

Did he stip down the finish and then do the new and then a clear? Or was he able to just add to the existing?

That came out wonderful Mike. Very classy. And I don't usually like a burst finish. Did he stip down the finish and then do the new and then a clear? Or was he able to just add to the existing?
Thank you. I didn't get the exact details on this one, but knowing the way he works, most likely he did do that. I'll try and remember to ask the next time I contact him. I did ask him to keep the burst on the thin side to let the spruce grain show well in the middle.

Top Bottom