Performing at a Senior's Home / The Power of Our Music

thehappypm

Reaction score
A bit of a long thread but I do want to share the lessons learned.

I was asked to play at a Senior's Home that is 97% Italian. They celebrate the birthdays for that month near month end. I had planned a mix of Italian and English tunes. I'm probably older than some of the folks in the home. I prepared traditional Italian folk songs, songs I remembered from the weddings of my youth. I expected to play a song, polite applause, next song. That didn't happen. 10 seconds into my opening song, in Italian, and it has become a sing-a-long. They know the chorus, a few know the verses. For some songs, many know all the words. I decided to skip all my English songs but one and they were very quiet then. It was quite a thrill to hear them singing along. When I really nailed a song, their vigorous applause was quite something. I have been asked to return.

Lesson Learned: know your audience. Know the songs they likely sang or sing in their youth. You will connect better with them. I also play weekly at a Senior's centre after they finish their bingo. Again, I cater the songs (English) to what they may have heard in the 50s / 60s. Based on their feedback to me, they like the songs I pick.

This next experience was quite something. Before playing in their large common area at the Senior's Home, I was asked to play for 15 minutes to an audience of their less mobile residents, folks who could not make it to the common room and stayed on their own floor. I arrive, there is an elderly lady, seated looking down at the floor, somewhat aware of my presence. Another is sitting beside her staring off into space, blank expression on her face. I start performing and a few lines in, the elderly lady looking down starts singing, and her eyes look up. And she knows all the words. The lady staring off into space is looking at me with a smile on her face - after a second song, she tells me I am reviving old memories, and she keeps smiling. My third song, people have come out of their rooms and are joining in.

A close friend has also played at a Senior's Home. There was a gentleman who was physically impaired, not moving, sitting in a wheel chair. While she was playing, she looked over at him and noticed he had a finger moving up and down in time with the music.

Lesson Learned: we can reach people with our music. We can affect how they feel. We can brighten their day. We can give them enjoyable memories.

Beautiful story. What’s the English song you kept? (I know the chorus of like two songs in Italian—same ones as everyone else.)

Beautiful!
I play in many care facilities myself, and find it quite rewarding.
I also play pieces that are familiar to the seniors so they can hum or sing-along.
It truly brightens their day.
Ron

Thank you for this insightful and uplifting thread, Hap. Your reference to "lessons learned" brings to mind John Prine's "Hello In There", which reminds us that although we may grow old in a physical sense, we're really the same people deep inside as we were in our youth, and that it's important for us to look with kindness into those "ancient eyes" and acknowledge the special person within. Bette Midler does a beautiful, very moving version of that song.

Oh my gosh, that is one that tugs at the heartstrings! Do I correctly recall Roy Clark doing a nice version of that one?
Roy Clark did an amazing take on the song. He also toured Russia, way back when, and sang this song in Russian. I heard his Russian performance on a TV show, again, way back when. Equally done very passionately and emotionally.

Thank you for this insightful and uplifting thread, Hap. Your reference to "lessons learned" brings to mind John Prine's "Hello In There", which reminds us that although we may grow old in a physical sense, we're really the same people deep inside as we were in our youth, and that it's important for us to look with kindness into those "ancient eyes" and acknowledge the special person within. Bette Midler does a beautiful, very moving version of that song.
Thanks Bill and I shall be looking for "Hello In There".

My Dad has advancing dementia and now barely recognises me when I go to see him. He doesn’t know my name and he can’t make any meaningful conversation. But I take my ukulele, and when I start to play the songs he knows and loves, he starts to sing with me. He knows and sings all the words. A good few of the other residents in his care home come alive and join in too. And it’s beautiful! :)

I wrote a song about the experience a few months back:

Lyrics

Hey, Dad - are you in there?
I saw a look of recognition in your eyes
Hey, Dad - do you still know me?
I need to know if you’re still there inside.

But at least for now
We can sing together;
You know all the words, though you no longer know my name.
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;
You can’t be truly lost if music reignites the flame.

Hey, Dad - you know I miss you,
Our one-way conversations fill my head.
But hey, Dad - I’ll keep on talking -
Just hope you understand the things I said.

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

Hey, Dad - I’ll be back next week -
I’ll bring my ukulele, we’ll have fun.
And hey, Dad - in case you’re wondering -
I love you, Dad, still proud to be your son.

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;
You can’t be truly lost if music reignites the flame

My Dad has advancing dementia and now barely recognises me when I go to see him. He doesn’t know my name and he can’t make any meaningful conversation. But I take my ukulele, and when I start to play the songs he knows and loves, he starts to sing with me. He knows and sings all the words. A good few of the other residents in his care home come alive and join in too. And it’s beautiful! :)

Lyrics

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

Beautiful. I lost my Mom recently. I played, she sang - Very well. She remembered me. Although, she did not remember anyone else. That really irritated many others. When I was not around, she cried for me. To them, they felt angry. To hear that, it broke my heart. Bless her soul, she was just shy of 98 years old. Be strong, play!

thehappypm, this is great!

Beautiful. I lost my Mom recently. I played, she sang - Very well. She remembered me. Although, she did not remember anyone else.winw That really irritated many others. When I was not around, she cried for me. To them, they felt angry. To hear that, it broke my heart. Bless her soul, she was just shy of 98 years old. Be strong, play!
She was a Sweet Adaline. Big time. Her voice, growing up I was intimidated, and amazed. I adored her.

Lyrics

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

Del - I couldn't help but get emotional, reading your post, listening to your performance (great production). Thank your for your post, and your message about the good we can do with our music.

Last edited:
Del - I couldn't help but get emotional, reading your post, listening to your performance (great production). Thank your for your post, and your message about the good we can do with our music.
Thank you - I guess I was just endorsing everything you’d already said. I’m very grateful that music allows me to still ‘communicate’ with my Dad when other means are all but gone. 🥲

thehappypm, thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

When our group plays at retirement homes, often residents ask if we know a particular Hawaiian song. More often than not, we do so they join us to perform a hula. Usually they were very good dancers in their younger years. It is surprising to see them get up from their walker or wheelchair.

Lyrics

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

But at least for now
We can sing together;
Yes, at least for now
We can sing together;

I wasn't ready for the emotional impact of your beautiful song, Del. It had to be hard to "keep it together" as you finished up that third verse;
as a listener/viewer, I was free to cry, and I did. Thanks for posting this. (y)

I wasn't ready for the emotional impact of your beautiful song, Del. It had to be hard to "keep it together" as you finished up that third verse;
as a listener/viewer, I was free to cry, and I did. Thanks for posting this. (y)
Thanks for your kind words, Bill. I’m guessing you heard the waver in my voice as I sang that line - it kills me every time I sing it. Your emotional reaction to the song is the same as many who’ve heard it - and in the writing process I cried buckets of tears. It’s been a tough time for all of us, but the song has somehow helped us through it. I hope it can do the same for other families going through the same experience.

I loved hearing about your experience at the retirement home, thehappypm. It will be pretty funny in 30 or 40 years or so to hear Marilyn Manson songs being played on the ukulele at the retirement homes.

Top Bottom