Perspective on upright, "fender" style, U-bass?

gbusker

Reaction score
10 years ago I started out playing double bass without amplification exclusively in our Ukulele club and this worked perfectly.
As some of the music got a bit faster and fitted a bass guitar better I moved to a precision.
I also used a U-bass for a while which was great (and nice and light).
I currently use a 5 string as I occasionally need a low "D" (why are ukulele pieces transposed to crazy keys!).

Since I really only need an electric bass for a few songs I am considering going back to upright and using a u-bass for the occasional song.
What's everyone else doing?

Gerd.

I started playing bass uke with my uke group in mid 2014. I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years before and was often told I should play bass because I had good feel and tempo, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass guitar, forget a standup bass. When I discovered bass ukes and mini bass guitars, I went for it. It's now my primary instrument, with tenor uke and harmonica close behind.

The reason our leader transposes to other than original keys is, certain keys lend themselves to the uke better, and there seems to be an aversion to the E chord, and a few others. Yes, E is a little awkward, but it didn't take me too long to get it, and I understand the value of uke friendly keys.

Ubass all the time...

To me (I am a double bass player primarily) the upright and the U-bass fill very similar roles musically (leaving aside the capability to bow). The Fender bass can be made to roughly approximate the tone of a double bass, but only very roughly, and it's really the preferred instrument for a great deal of rock and roll music that was originally conceived for electric bass guitar.

A bunch of ukulele strummers doesn’t sound a bit like the original tune or cover. There’s no reason the bass needs to either, IMHO. At least not in reg to the tone. Play what you are most happy playing! That’s what everyone else in the group is doing.

I play a acoustic UBass with Thunder Browns, a Fretless solid body Timber bass with flat wounds, and I just acquired an Ohana short scale acoustic bass with round wounds. All of them are so very different from one another.

@UkeOkay, how do you like the Ohana? That's a new one on me. After I read your post, I checked out their website, and I see they have a 25" scale length. Are you happy with it so far?

To me (I am a double bass player primarily) the upright and the U-bass fill very similar roles musically (leaving aside the capability to bow). The Fender bass can be made to roughly approximate the tone of a double bass, but only very roughly, and it's really the preferred instrument for a great deal of rock and roll music that was originally conceived for electric bass guitar.
I feel the same way. I carry my u-bass around almost as a light weight spare for the double bass.
Since I don't get to play double bass very often elsewhere playing it in the Uke club does keep my technique and stamina up.

A bunch of ukulele strummers doesn’t sound a bit like the original tune or cover. There’s no reason the bass needs to either, IMHO. At least not in reg to the tone. Play what you are most happy playing! That’s what everyone else in the group is doing.

This is of course true. So the approach to a good bass line for a ukulele song is different, especially if you don't have a drummer or percussionist.
I find myself playing very basic stuff, but where possible/necessary trying to incorporate any lead melodies that make the song recognisable.
Some songs you almost have to play whatever was on the original record.

This is of course true. So the approach to a good bass line for a ukulele song is different, especially if you don't have a drummer or percussionist.
I find myself playing very basic stuff, but where possible/necessary trying to incorporate any lead melodies that make the song recognisable.
Some songs you almost have to play whatever was on the original record.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. There are some licks that the bass player is obligated to play. But, there is no need for the bass to sound exactly like the recording.

@UkeOkay, how do you like the Ohana? That's a new one on me. After I read your post, I checked out their website, and I see they have a 25" scale length. Are you happy with it so far?
I am still pretty new to the bass, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wanted a compact acoustic bass with enough volume to play without amplification in small settings. This just fits that bill. I was strongly considering he Aquila Shortbaseone 60, but a friend from my ukulele group had this one for sale — it’s essentially new, but that’s another story.

My opinion of the Fluke Timber bass is mixed, it sounds very one dimensional. I can’t seem to coax much out of if it. I‘m blaming the Gali flat wounds, but I’m unsure of what to replace them with.

The Kala is great, but it’s out on loan right now.

The onboard electronics on the Ohana is nice and lets me tailor the sound quite a bit when amplified.

My one worry has to do with replacement strings. Its not clear just what strings are available for that.

Thanks for the review UkeOkay. I think about getting one of these small basses off and on, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Generally speaking, I am concerned about intonation in the upper half of the fretboard, availability of different types of strings, battery life etc. Anyway, best of luck with your Ohana. Hope you enjoy it.

Top Bottom